Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I would check with your states DMV and see how they will title them. Many states are different. As stated before, California will only title them as Special construction Vehicles and you have to have the SB-100 number to be exempt from smog testing. Also the car has the year built or sold on the title. Example, you buy one right now and it will show 2009 on your title in this state. Hence the SB-100 being so important.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Best advice from me is.....do a lot of research. Learn out about Cobra history, study all the builders and options available, determine the price range, engine type, and if you want an accurate replica, or a sort of accurate hot rod replica. Decide about "how your going to use the car" and find one that suits your needs with plenty of HP.
Bill
Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

What happens if you live in another state and own a cobra legally titled as a 1965 (Shelby CSX Continuation series) and move to CA? Will CA allow you to register it or do you have to still go through the SB-100 process?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Doug,

California won't recognize another states title in this case and you have to use the SB-1578 which is a slight variation of SB-100 but was added just for that reason. It still uses the same 500 numbers per year that SB-100 allows so you would be competing against all the new owners who are trying to get a number. California requires that the title show the year the car was built also. For example I bought my coupe in 2007 and my title shows Yr Model 0000 Make SPCN Yr 2007. If it didn't have the SB-100 number I would have to meet emissions for 2007.

Ron

Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

If it shows a "date first sold" different than the year of the car then No.
your title should show the year of the car .......1965
then it should show a "YEAR FIRST SOLD" if it does not match the 1965 your out of luck.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My ERA is a 1965 as registered in Hawaii, legally. Year first sold: 0000 I almost always take my title to a cruise in and whip it out to prove to apasser by that I do indeed have a 1965 Cobra, whilst (there's that word again) holding my thumb over the "year sold" part.

....NOT!

No one is impressed with a 1965 title notation. Who you going to show it too and when? The DMV lady could care less and you'll look like an idiot at a car show. While it sounds good, you aren't fooling anybody with a clue about Cobras. Frankly, I don't get it, why bother.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-01-2009 at 07:25 AM..
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post

No one is impressed with a 1965 title notation. Who you going to show it too and when? The DMV lady could care less and you'll look like an idiot at a car show. While it sounds good, you aren't fooling anybody with a clue about Cobras. Frankly, I don't get it, why bother.
Not trying to fool anyone (I agree - who really cares), just wondering if I would have go through all the SB-100 BS. I have a lot of family in CA and its a possibility we would move there at some point. Although I am not inclined to move to a bankrupt state and become part of their bailout program.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Doug,

Yes the short answer is you would have to go through the process. I don't believe they had kit car Cobras in 1965. Here all legal ones have to have the SPCN on the title and the year the car was sold. Year first sold may have 0000 or be blank as I have seen on a few of the guy's titles. Otherwise you will have to meet the emission requirements for whatever year you bring the car into the state.

Hey Ernie, I know where you can buy 14 Catalytic converters cheap. They are becoming a big item around here for the thieves. It is amazing at how many are being cut off of vehicles during the night.

Ron

Old 10-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh good, when I get to California, hook me up so we can get my buddies Excalibur on the road.

...uh, maybe I'll pass on that option...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

so what is the best makes in the 20-30 range
as well as engine size
Thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

you should be able to find a nice ride in the 20-30k range like FFR,Shell Valley,B&B,Lone star,Thunder Carriages, and some other brands that dont come on the market very often you just have to look around on e-bay, Cobra Country,Club Cobra, and check the cars for sale papers theres always something out there for sale......OR check with some of the manufacturers sometimes they will have a customer that has pulled out of a purchase or has a car they want to sell or trade for a new one.....