• 1 Post By westva

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Age Old Question "WHICH KIT"

I'm looking to buy a kit and I have narrowed it down to either Loan Star or Factory Five. I'd like to know your thoughts, good or bad on each. Here is some information to help you help me:

1. I have ten years racing and building dirt late models experience;
2. I don't want to use a "donor car";
3. I like FFR's frame (is this good or bad);
4. Is the aluminum panels in FFR a good idea (I think I like the idea);
5. I want to use a fuel cell;
6. I don't want IRS, I want to use a Ford 9";
7. There are no road course tracks in my area;
8. No drag racing, no road course racing, just a play toy;
9. "Exact" replica not impotant;
10. Service after the sale is very imporatant;
11. I live about half way between FFR and Loan Star; and
12. I don't know anyone that owns a kit car.

I'll accept information from owners, builders, sellers and kit car companies. I'll evaluate it all and I thank you in advance.

If you don't want to publicly share your thoughts please PM me at Richard@richardcwittlaw.com
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Deleted my post, didn't see that you had already narrowed it to two other companies.

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-20-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Talk to Kevin...Funfer2....he has a Lone Star that hes is building a monster motor for...
he is a big fan of the Lone Star brand and is friends with the folks at Lone Star...
tell him is said to call on him....Bob.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

My suggestion is to go to a meet local to you. I am sure there is quite a few replica owners in your general area.

As you have narrowed your search to Loanstar and FFR, I can be of no help as I do not know anything about either one.

You can also go the the FFR forum and ask around if there is anyone in your area that you can take a look at.

I believe that you will want to set in both and get the feel of how you will fit each brand.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

You might want to speak with Gordon Levy - Levy Racing. They build turnkey Factory Five roadsters and coupes. Know a lot about cobra kits. They are located in Maricopa, Arizon. They build a lot of nice toys.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Deleted my post, didn't see that you had already narrowed it to two other companies.
They aren't set in stone. I'd really like to heary what you have to say.
seatra likes this.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Talk to Kevin...Funfer2....he has a Lone Star that hes is building a monster motor for...
he is a big fan of the Lone Star brand and is friends with the folks at Lone Star...
tell him is said to call on him....Bob.
Funfer2 please send me an email Richard@richardcwittlaw.com, per Bob.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham and Hurricane Dealer in Mexico www.kitcarsmexico.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Kit Cars Mexico
Not Ranked     

I have this one for sale, just in case.
The car is located in San Antonio Tx.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...t=2647&cat=all

Alfredo
Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Given those two choices, FFR is the way to go. I have looked closely at both kits, and chose the FFR.

Reconsider the IRS. For a fun street car, the IRS provides a much smoother ride and better control. Well worth it. Changes the entire charector of the car. I would never build another roadster with a solid axle.

The 9" is definatly overkill, unless you'll be drag racing with slicks and a lot of torque. The 9" is bigger, heavier, and less efficient than the 8.8 without providing the average driver with any real advantage. Probably more expensive, too.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics
Not Ranked     

I narrowed my purchase down to these two cars a little more than a year ago as well. I ended up with the LoneStar and am very pleased with my decision.

They are both good cars and you will get owners of each telling you theirs is the best kit

The earlier suggestion of attending a meet where several kits are side by side is a very good one. If you can drive them or ride in them, so much the better.

If you visit the FFR forum, you'll also need to ask your questions to the Lonestar forum (just google search LoneStar Classics). There are some good threads on it regarding the diffences between the two kits and comments from people who have owned both makes.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I have enjoyed my Lonestar for almost 10 years. Fun the build, good solid car, drives great, web site with plenty of online help. Good luck
Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I really think you should consider the new Hurricane. They have a great car and it sounds like what you are looking for. Check out my build thread here on the forum.
http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104543

I think they deserve at least a look. They are in the same price range and have some very attractive attributes. I have had quite a few cobras and the Hurricane is up there with the best in fiberglass replicas.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised that there are no FFR owners near you in West Virginia. As for using a 9" rear instead of an 8.8" rear, I'd like to ask why, as a properly built 8.8" rear can handle 500+hp........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Fo a normal street car an 8.8 is fine. If you are going to race it then a 9" is better, only because changing the gearing is much easier if you have a couple of extra pumpkins set up already.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I looked at FFR before I bought a Lone Star kit, that would be 10 years ago.

I like the FFR round tube frame and 2100 - 2200 lb weight.The last time I weighted my LS it was 2315 lbs. I run a small block fuel injected motor and a TKO 600 with a 8.8 rear end.

I like the Lone Star 94" wheel base with the extra 4" inside the interior. I wanted a Cobra that I could travel in and have a place behind the seats to store stuff.

I like the interior and trunk tubs molded to the body to minimize the air and water leaks in the Lone Star. When you drive on 100 plus mile trips you will get rained on.

I have help built FFRs, Shell Valleys, a Hurricane, my Lone Star and worked on Everret Morrisons, Uniques and a Shamrock. Maybe some others??? Drove most of them. They each drive a little different but not that much.

Each kit has their good points. I think you need to look at what you want in a kit and pick the one that fits your needs.

It does not matter which one you build, they are all beautiful and fast.

Dwight
Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile London Cobra Show

if you will drive to London, Ohio next Saturday you can see a couple of hundred Cobras on Main Street.

You can pick a Cobra and he or she will carry you for a fast ride down Main Street for a $10 donation to CF.

Dwight

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com/assets/...LCS%202010.pdf

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com/sample_event4.html
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

FFR just came out with their Mark 4 version that appears to be a big improvement. The footboxes have also been enlarged. I would have bought one but I just couldn't fit in without a lot of pain. I know a lot of guys that have them and really like theirs. Make sure you set in one of the cars before you buy.
Actually if I build again I would be looking at Hurricane or the new FFR . I would also suggest you get the names of the last five or so guys that bought cars and call them. Really get into the detail of their builds. How was the manual and technical support. Did any of them have defective parts and how quickly was that resolved. If you can, go to the factory and look at the parts and the quality of the body. Look at the underside to see if the glass thickness is consistent. Look at the mold lines and evaluate how much body work will have to be done. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

First off, what are your local laws regarding emissions? You may want to check into this first. It may be advantageous to buy pre-owned.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Hey WestVa. Where are you from? There are several Cobras around the Huntington- Charleston area. I have a Shell Valley, a friend in Milton has an Everette Morrison, and another friend in St. Albans has a FFR. Dwight is right, go to London this Saturday coming up if you want to see beautiful examples of nearly every Cobra, Daytona, and GT40 replica made (I know I can't wait).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: