3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put my tank from the top down due to ho low it sits when the car is sitting down in the rear. My CMC tank was square and they changed them when Streetbeast took them over, so maybe it isn't an issue anymore.

As far as the car sitting up in the rear, are you sure your rear axle floats on the 4 link correctly? I have heard of others mentioning the mounts were welded on the frame incorrectly causing it to bind. I installed adjustable upper arms to adjust the pinion angle which helped a lot. I had 315's on mine in the rear. It was really tight, but they fit.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast, 427FE Replica (390 Block)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
Here are a few photos. These were taken a few weeks ago, and dont show the suspension installed but do show the placement of the rear suspension parts. All the control arms are race stock. You can see from the second photo how the car seems to have a 'bumble bee butt' and rides a bit high on the back end... the fiberglass is entirely on the frame.

You can see the photo with the body on how the body seems to be tiled in the back when comparing it to the bottom visible edge of the frame below the door and windscreen. Are other cars like this? Not sure what to think, the fiberglass matches the frame very well, but the result appears incorrect.
What do you guys think?
Attached pics of mine, they are old but show my setup. looks like you have Mustang setup in the back. Sorry won't be much help to you. BTW, what type of steering setup are you using?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aussie 351C, TKO, UNK maker
Not Ranked     

Based on the pics on the thread i think I need to relocate my frame mounts. The pulleys were super close to the crossmember.
Jaime
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jamie,

When I bought my kit, I thought that all I have to do is put it together since it came with almost all the parts needed. And, they were all, new.
Come to find out nothing matches, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I have to redo and/or buy everything again.

My steering parts were wrong and/or mismatched.
Same with the foot controls.
Front suspension is too wide.
Rear is too narrow.
Headers don't align with the cut in the body.

So my advice is; before changing or moving anything also consider the headers, if you already have them. Otherwise you most likely will need to have them fabricated.

Don't make the mistake I made, think and rethink before you change or buy anything.

Now that I read my post, it sounds more Like venting.

Just be careful, otherwise you will end up wasting a lot of $$$, like me.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrafx View Post
Based on the pics on the thread i think I need to relocate my frame mounts. The pulleys were super close to the crossmember.
Jaime
We ended up building custom motor mounts and based the entire placement (I know this sounds crazy) upon the location of the shift column location so that I did not need to buy a special TKO shift kit. I was able to do this because with the 331/302 engine, it was considerably far back and had sufficient room in the front. It's probably been one of the easiest steps in the build, when you consider what I've done to the rear

We pitched all the Streetbeast parts and went with Energy Suspension for every attachment point.

Streetbeasts - I think I have a similar pulley rig on my front (or at least I'll know when it shows up next week). So I'm guessing there shouldn't be any problems with the fit.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbeast View Post
Hi Jamie,

When I bought my kit, I thought that all I have to do is put it together since it came with almost all the parts needed. And, they were all, new.
Come to find out nothing matches, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I have to redo and/or buy everything again.

My steering parts were wrong and/or mismatched.
Same with the foot controls.
Front suspension is too wide.
Rear is too narrow.
Headers don't align with the cut in the body.

So my advice is; before changing or moving anything also consider the headers, if you already have them. Otherwise you most likely will need to have them fabricated.

Don't make the mistake I made, think and rethink before you change or buy anything.

Now that I read my post, it sounds more Like venting.

Just be careful, otherwise you will end up wasting a lot of $$$, like me.

Whoa! Hang on! I am sure that since these are the first generation of replica that there were issues that would surface. I dont have headers, thankfully I would guess since they probably would not fit anyway. I am not defending the makers of this vehicle in any way but the way I think about it is..its in MY garage. LOTS of people would dig one in theirs. Its gonna be a labor of love for sure. I hope to get LOTS of help and advice for the good folks here. Looks like you and I will trade pics and heartache as we put ours together. Vent way, but what the hell, WE have one of these KILLER cars in OUR garage!! hehehehe. I am a tinkerer, so I dont wanna reinvent the wheel if there is someone here that has gone down the path you and I will surely travel. Here we go man, lets have fun!
Jaime
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jamie,

I really was not blaming Streetbeast, even though there is a reason why they are out of business. Even if I had known the manufacturers' reputation beforehand I still would have bought it. If anything its the person I bought the kit from. He really did not order or buy the right/matching parts (now I know why it sat in his garage for 5 years).

I am actually more upset at myself for not doing my homework before I bought it.

Anyway, I had to stop work on it because I am replacing the whole suspension, steering rack and the transmission on a 325i, which I just bought for everyday use (one of the "funest" and very economical car to drive ).

I just thought that its good to share both good and bad. Thats how you learn from other people's mistakes. Did not mean to be pessimistic, will be getting back to it once I am done with the 325.

What steering column are you using?

Once again I apologize for sounding so gloomy.

"Q"
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries, I was hoping to help keep the train from derailing. It'll be cool for sure. I have an IDIDIT column. It is a tilt unit so it will ease entry/exit from the cramped space. It sticks out the firewall about an inch or so and has a GM wiring connector hard wired so getting a matching connector to the electrical distribution box was a piece of cake. It seems the SB was changed to the CMC I have. The frame has welded in pads for the motor mounts. So my trial and error with engine location continues.
Jaime
Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luckily my engine seems to be in the right location, so I did not have to fool around with it, wish I could help. Seems like you are further into the process then I thought. I definitely can use your experience

So, is the column 30" or 32"?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I think mine os 30" but i can check if its any help to you.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

please let me know what parts might be helpful in getting my clearance issues solved for my/sb cobra.

Jim
732 822 6373
or just text me

Thanks

Tags
advice, assembly, help please, street beast, wheels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: