28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B build Coyote

I picked up a project B&B that someone built , never titled, pulled the motor out of and let sit outside for 2 years.

I gutted it , had to strip all the paint , and start from the ground up. Plans were a old 302 built up with a T5 but plans have since changed to a Coyote Setup.

Here she is when I got her

Old 08-25-2012, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So we stripped her down and got her back to paintable condition. I decided to clone my 04 mustang and made it Screaming yellow with flat black stripes.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is my mustang that Im cloning on the Cobra. Im Using 2005 up mustang FR500s 18inch on the B&B because of the better offset. I picked up a 98 cobra rear-end with 4.10 gears and using the 5/8 narrowed mustang 2 tubular stuff up front.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I picked up a 2011 5.0 Coyote from ford that spun a number 7 rod bearing with just over 3000 miles on it. They put a new engine in it and I paid the $1000 core fee for the old engine. I picked up a new Boss 302 forged crank , rods and piston setup since the coyote and Boss 302 share the same block.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boss 302 Forged crank

Miscellaneous other 5.0 parts I bought from ford and ebay. Picked up a complete Intake manifold with Injectors, fuel rails and throttle body.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I picked up the motor mounts and header flanges from Backdraft , Mike is the best.

Im using a quicktime bellhousing to mate a new T5 world class transmission to it. Also using the 01-04 modular 11 inch 8 bolt flywheel and clutch kit setup.More pics as I go.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Nice work! It looks awesome! I wana Coyote too! The heads look massive!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

We all LOVE the Coyote engine!

I'd be a bit worried that the T-5 can withstand the torque that Coyote will put out, though. If it is one of the upgraded models with hardened gears, that sort of stuff, you'll be OK, but I have an idea it might be the proverbial weak link if you have a stock item.

Nice build thread....yellow has always been one of my favorite colors (mine is red, but that's just b/c it was that color when I bought it, if I had my choice it might well be yellow, too).

Cheers...will be following your thread!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
We all LOVE the Coyote engine!

I'd be a bit worried that the T-5 can withstand the torque that Coyote will put out, though. If it is one of the upgraded models with hardened gears, that sort of stuff, you'll be OK, but I have an idea it might be the proverbial weak link if you have a stock item.

Nice build thread....yellow has always been one of my favorite colors (mine is red, but that's just b/c it was that color when I bought it, if I had my choice it might well be yellow, too).

Cheers...will be following your thread!

Dugly
\

I got the M-7003-z T-5

These Super-Duty T-5 transmissions from Ford Racing are world class.

Features:
* Heavy-duty "World Class" T-5 5-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
* 330 ft./lbs. torque capacity
* Double-moly 2nd speed, 3rd speed and countershaft cluster gears
* Carbon-fiber 3-4 blocker rings
* Improved synchronizers and bearings
* 1-1/16 in. diameter 10-tooth input spline
* 28-tooth output spline
* 7-tooth speedometer drive gear
* Cobra-style pocket bearing
Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

WOW!! Nice work! Sure it will be a blast to drive...
Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phansm72 View Post

I got the M-7003-z T-5

These Super-Duty T-5 transmissions from Ford Racing are world class.

Features:
* 330 ft./lbs. torque capacity
* Double-moly 2nd speed, 3rd speed and countershaft cluster gears
* Carbon-fiber 3-4 blocker rings
* Improved synchronizers and bearings
* 1-1/16 in. diameter 10-tooth input spline
* 28-tooth output spline
* 7-tooth speedometer drive gear
* Cobra-style pocket bearing
Yeah, the Z versions are upgraded, much better than my box-stock WC T-5. Much better metallurgy in the gears, too.

I'd still be worried about only 330 ft./lbs capacity. That Coyote Engine is a real spinner (7K RPMs on a regular basis!!!), it might take only one side-stepping of the clutch to shell the tranny if you have real sticky tires.

However, having said that, I have 11" wide BF Goodrichs on the rear wheels of my Cobra with a Mustang GT T-5 transmissions. I do not sidestep the clutch, but with these things being so light the rear tires do break loose quite easily, so a bit of care with the right foot will ensure that yours lasts a lifetime. I have put almost 5,000 miles on mine since I bought it, broke a clutch cable, but other than that have never had a moment's problem from the clutch or the transmission...but, those BF Goodrich tires are known for their poor traction and mine were manufactured in year 2,000 according to the code on the tire (a front blew out, and the rules at Discount Tire prohibited the techs from even checking the pressure in my remaining 3 tires, they were so old), so they are probably a bit hard from age, reducing the traction even more.

Just curious...which OD does your Z-rated have? IIRC it was a .82, not the .63 my T-5 has. I like my .63, I am turning about 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH, and because my engine is stock 5.0 HO (I think), it doesn't buck at that speed. Get it up to 80 MPH and it's firmly in it's favorite RPM range, cruising effortlessly at 2,300 RPM. That Coyote engine has such a broad torque curve you ought to be OK with either OD gear...just curious, rear gear ratio?

Sounds like a real burner you are building there!!!!

Cheers! Carry on......

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

You will not be dissapointed with the coyote. Just note that the stock coyote can produce 390+ ft*lbs of torque. Mine has been awesome so far with just over 1k miles. I used a TKO600 and set the rest of the drivetrain up to add a supercharger later just in case I have a desire for more (have the coyote aluminator NA with 11:1 compression, so would run at a low boost). I also used 3.91 gears in the rear and with the .64 5th gear OD run about 2k RPM at 65 with 295/40 18's.

Have fun and let everyone know what you think once you get to drive it. Not a 427, but still alot of power for a light car!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

One other thing to look out for with the coyote set-up: the airflow sensor is very sensitive to air turbulence. Blowing the dust off I notice the engine stuble if the air stream came close to the filter element. Look around to see what you can find, but Backdraft does have the air intake tube with airflow sensor mount point available, but you will need to isolate the element form the airflow through the radiator (mine has a shelf over the radiator which the air flows under so as not to disturb the sensor).