28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     
Default NAF Build...Finally going together.

Purchased a body and a frame in 1989 from NAF, been collecting parts and working on various parts off and on over the years. This past year I’ve been able to finish the chassis and suspension mods. Bolted enough parts to the chassis to take it for a drive…..Now getting the body on and working on getting all the fidly bits sorted out and bolted on. Then on to wiring and paint. Not sure if anyone else has taken as long.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

The fiberglass is certainly well seasoned. Your body is from back in the day when they were of great quality. The body I bought from Jack, 3 1/2 years ago took $10K in body work to get up to acceptable standards. By the time I got this body, he was very ill and in bad shape phisically and Fiscally. The body I wound up with had been fitted to a very different frame and required lots of alerations in addition to all the work required to get the doors, hood, and trunk to have acceptable gaps. My accepting the body was largely my fault since I took it from him long before I should but I'd been told that someone was going to padlock his shop and I wasn't about to have my car in there if that happened. I wanted a NAF body to replace the one I'd had for a long time that didn't do wo well when I took it out through the desert. My bad. All in all, an ugly situation, but have pushed through, with lots of money spent and lots of help from friends. Better luck to you!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default NAF Build

Sorry to hear about your body troubles, I thought your car was up and running. I always liked the body and construction, just not the work they did on the gaps around the doors, hood and trunk. lots of time fixing some guys excessive sanding when mounting them. Also redid the inner fender panels to fit the frame better, redid the trunk to make it wider and deeper, cut the corners off the foot boxes for a little more header clearance and moved the roll bar and windshield forward to fit the top and side curtains. Also cut the crooked hood scoop off for a Bolton one. You tube link for giant go cart ride...
NAF Cobra roadster second drive.wmv - YouTube
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wiring

Got the wiring done except for the headlights and front signals, Everything worked but the Tach, works fine after you give it the Smiths gauge poke start. Finish up a few things and then put some primer coats on it....Youtube video link of the start after pluging the dash in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiM...ature=youtu.be

Paul T.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wiring complete

Got the wiring done, moving projects around in the shop to start prepping the car for some primer. Couldn't resist a short drive. Link to You tube video.. NAF Cobra wired moving for prep for primer - YouTube
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was up in Superior AZ a few weeks ago and stopped in at Jack's old shop. His wife still lives there and I asked her if she still had one of the original NAF Vin plates, which she did. Jack had given me one years ago and I've misplaced it. I asked her if she wanted to give me her eMail that I could share if someone else wanted one but she didn't want to have people without an actual NAF getting their hands on them. She said she's wanting to sell the "name" and molds but knowing her, she'd want a ton. Good luck with your car. Mine is 95% finished. Still need to get the painter to re-do my stripes but otherwise, looking good. If I run across that other Vin plate, I'll let you know, if you're interested.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Do you guys have access to any wiring diagrams from NAF?
I am trying to get my horns working.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dblbarrel, I think that most cars were put together by individuals which they would be wired however the builder wanted it. I never got anything from NAF showing a wiring diagram. Not even sure that they would have one for the factory built cars. Most horns are off a relay but not all.

Paul T.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Paul T. I too have an NAF. Be happy to share a copy of the "factory" manual with you, such as it is.

I love my car and also had to do a lot of body work, but love the body shape as compared to sme others.

Karlos: could you be the go between for us with Jack's wife. I too would like a vin tag. Never did find one anywhwere on the car. NAF labels glassed into the inside of the doors. a little NAF Snake emblem on the old dash and the number 143 bead welded onto the top of the frame near the driver side motor mount. I also have the original Manufacturer's Certification from NAF.

Cheers
Greg
Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Paul, my car was factory built. Will keep looking foe a relay, I need a 10 year old gymnast to get behind the dash.
And now back to your build.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg, thanks for the offer for the factory manual. I have changed so many things on my car from the original, but would still be nice to have. Sounds like dblbarrel could use one if there's a wiring diagram in there.

Paul T.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karl, I do have vin tag for my car, thanks for the offer. What I would like to have is the round nose and deck badges that had NAF on them rather than the Cobra snake. have only seen one set, talked with Jack a long time ago he said he didn't have any. Maybe some of them have been made or have been found.

Paul T.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Paul. I had not heard of the NAF badges but think they would be extra slick. You can tell by my engine choice that I like to stray from the pack and tend to do things differently. I do have a copy of the owners' manual, an original NAF sales poster and brochure that Jack gave me. I don't go up to Superior very often but next time I do, I'll see if his wife is around and if maybe she'll change her mind about giving out her eMail or snail-mail address. I can't speak for her, but I'd think she'd be willing to sell what ever she has left, collecting dust.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That would be great Karl, anything like that she has or would be willing to part with....Also I may try to find Butch Schertz who was the manager at the time I got my body and frame.

Paul T.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Hi guys. I'm away this next week but when I return home I will make a couple of copies and get them ready to mail to you.

Cheers
Greg
Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Greg

Tim
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default NAF door sill mod.

Increased the fiberglass thickness at the door sills from 1/8 to 5/8 to better contact the weather strip. decided to put the seal on the door rather than on the thin fiberglass lip on the body. It also gives me a wider area to attach a proper scuff plate. Also built some new mounts for the door latches. Pictures in gallery if inserts don't work.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...3/ppuser/38156

Paul T.