Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Gasdoc's ERA build - #813 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/136638-gasdocs-era-build-813-a.html)

Gasdoc 06-02-2016 06:24 AM

Gasdoc's ERA build - #813

Hello,

I thought I'd go ahead and create a build log since people were starting to ask me questions regarding the car in the engine build thread Brent started. I didn't want to tie up his thread with unrelated questions.

A little about me:

This build will be a first for me. My experience with working on cars has been limited to my teenage and college years when I did my own oil and brake changes, plugged tires, swapped out a couple exhausts, distributors, throttle bodies, and helped a friend replace the engine in his 1970 something beetle. My car at the time was a '84 Rabbit GTI and I was determined to get every last horsepower out of it on a limited budget (really no budget, lol). Anyways, I have always loved cool cars and always dreamed of owning a 427 Cobra from the day I first saw one. A little over a year ago I decided to go for it! That's when I called up Peter at ERA and put my order in .

Here are the details on the car:

- ERA 427 S/C Cobra
- Guardsman Blue/Wimbleton White Stripes (I'm still haven't finalized the blue color. I'm planning to have Connecticut Custom Cars do the paint and they have a Cobra on their gallery with a blue color which is from Lexus that I really like. Also, there apparently is a Superformance Guardsman Blue that is different from the Shelby Guardsman Blue. Have to study this a bit further.)
-Riveted hood scoop, chrome roll bar, chrome bumpers in place of jack pads
-Stainless sidepipes with 28"mufflers and heat shields (yes, I have kids)
-Triplode headlights/ double round tail lights
-Black leather seats/dash/interior/trunk carpet
-SC Dash with glovebox
-Smiths gauges with ccw speedometer, voltmeter swap for ammeter
-15" steering wheel
-"AC" on the steering wheel cap and foot pedal faces
-Dual front fans
-6 pin drive reproduction wheels
-Avon or Goodyear Billboard tires (Leaning toward Avons for driveability and legality but bummed about not having the huge white Goodyear letters)
-ERA rear suspension with outboard brakes
-heater box/ heated seats (flame away, I live in Kentucky and I plan on driving this car!!!)
-Radio (Feel free to open a new thread just to flame me on this one, I am going to hide it completely including the speakers, but I do have kids and plan to do some road trips. That is why I chose the quieter pipes and also the transmission with the overdrive.)

Drivetrain details:
- 427FE including lots of original 1960s parts, built by Brent Lykins (see his thread on this engine in the FE Talk forum)
- TKO600 tranny with 0.82 OD/3.54 rear end

I'm new to posting stuff on a forum but 'll try to post some of pics that I have so far from ERA when I figure out how to post photos.

I'll try to update this as things progress. I'm hoping to have the car by mid summer.

Comments ?

lnfletcher 06-02-2016 06:35 AM

Looks like you have it all planned out!
Congratulations!
Look forward to following your build!

DWRAT 06-02-2016 06:41 AM

I bet your not going to like the .82 fifth gear on long road trips.
I had that in the past but never again.

blykins 06-02-2016 07:01 AM

With a 26" tire, should be 2000 rpm at 55, 2200 rpm at 60 mph, 2600 at 70.

DWRAT 06-02-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1393394)
With a 26" tire, should be 2000 rpm at 55, 2200 rpm at 60 mph, 2600 at 70.

2800 at the posted speed limit here in AZ 75.
3000 at 80
3200 at 85 which is the traffic flow in my area on open roads.

Those rpm's in a big block for 1-2 hours at a time, no thank you.

If your not planning trips like we do here in AZ you will love the .82.

DanEC 06-02-2016 07:44 AM

It sounds well planned out and very well equipped. I'm not a fan of deep OD ratios but then I have a Toploader. I don't recall the TKO600 first gear ration, but you might take a look at a 3.31 rear with the .82 OD and see if it's an option for a little more relaxed cruising with a gear box with 5 close ratios.

I would get the HD radiator for peace of mind.

Have fun

blykins 06-02-2016 07:48 AM

Alan and I are within 45 minutes of each other, so we're used to the same roads. If we drive 80-85, more than likely we'll end up in jail.

Alan lives in an area where most posted speed limits are 55. Interstates are 70. I would rather have a 2500-2600 rpm engine at 70 than to have a little bucking action at 55-60.

If he went to a .64, 70 mph rpms would be lower, but more than likely he would have to run in 4th gear at most other speeds driving around town.

This is a good reason to get a lot of data on an initial build. Every customer's driving situation is a little different.

kevins2 06-02-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1393399)
If he went to a .64, 70 mph rpms would be lower, but more than likely he would have to run in 4th gear at most other speeds driving around town.

I have an ERA with 3.54 rear and .64 5th gear. Anything less than 50 mph in 5th is lugging the engine, and even at 50 a hill needs a downshift, so Brent's point is correct. I do a lot of driving on back roads with speed limits of 45 or 50. Whenever there's a car in front of me I have to run in 4th. That said, on open roads, it is very nice to be cruising along at 60 with the engine below 2000 RPMs. So, it is just a matter of what you want - one of life's many trade offs.

Gasdoc, well appointed car! You'll love it.

Kevin

lnfletcher 06-02-2016 08:41 AM

I run the .64 and the 3.50 rear.
I have no problems with this ratio and it works well on the interstate.

lippy 06-02-2016 09:28 AM

Alan,

Congratulations on starting a great build. I built ERA 797 and used Brent for the engine.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobr...build-log.html
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/adve...-fe-build.html

Some comments, for what they're worth:

- I have the 0.82 OD with a 3.54 TKO600. It's fine and cruises at about 2600-2700 at 70-72 on the highway
- Agree you should get the HD radiator
- A radio is a good idea. I have one (hidden) and I'm glad I do. (see my build thread for details)
- Heated seats are great
- Go with the Avons. They are great tires and really improve the car
- You may want to consider big brakes in front
- You may want to consider real wool carpeting. It's really nice.

PM me if you'd like to discuss.

-Lippy

RodKnock 06-02-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasdoc (Post 1393390)
-heater box/ heated seats (flame away, I live in Kentucky and I plan on driving this car!!!)
-Radio (Feel free to open a new thread just to flame me on this one, I am going to hide it completely including the speakers, but I do have kids and plan to do some road trips. That is why I chose the quieter pipes and also the transmission with the overdrive.)

Comments ?

And don't forget the cupholders, power steering, power windows and GPS/bluetooth/USB/iPhone what-cha-ma-call-its.

You might as well sell it now and get the Corvette. :LOL:

Seriously, welcome and enjoy in good health. And good luck picking a shade of blue. And don't forget to start a new thread on the color choice. Those "What shade of blue do I paint my car?" threads are always fun. :rolleyes::CRY::3DSMILE:

patrickt 06-02-2016 09:58 AM

Very nice build. But keep thinking on the 5th gear ratio. Only you know what sort of speeds you'll be driving, but for me, with my 3.54 rear, the average cruising speed on the highways around here is 75MPH or a little higher. That equates to 2200 RPM with the .64 rear and is absolutely perfect for calm cruising. Other than that, I never use 5th gear at all. But, doing that is one my favorite driving experiences. It's relaxing, and believe it or not it is almost quiet. So keep thinking on that fifth gear ratio.

Bernica 06-02-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1393411)
Seriously, welcome and enjoy in good health. And good luck picking a shade of blue. And don't forget to start a new thread on the color choice. Those "What shade of blue do I paint my car?" threads are always fun. :rolleyes::CRY::3DSMILE:

Which blue indeed? One choice is in my gallery.;):cool:

Welcome and keep sharing!

RodKnock 06-02-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1393414)

I'm kinda surprised that Gasdoc isn't considering the Shelby Racing Team Color of Desert HumVee Camouflage Beige. Typically you would want your Cobra to blend into the surroundings. :LOL:

DanEC 06-02-2016 10:29 AM

I don't think it's too close to Guardsman Blue but the dark blue Lippy had his ERA painted is beautiful. Nearly looks black in some photos. I like the FIA wheels too.

RodKnock 06-02-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1393414)

Gasdoc, I saw Bernica's CSX4250 in person many years ago, but I thought it was the perfect shade of blue for me. Dark, but not too dark, and it really popped to the eye.

Bernica, wasn't that a Ford Taurus Blue, IIRC?

RodKnock 06-02-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1393399)
Alan and I are within 45 minutes of each other, so we're used to the same roads. If we drive 80-85, more than likely we'll end up in jail.

Alan lives in an area where most posted speed limits are 55. Interstates are 70. I would rather have a 2500-2600 rpm engine at 70 than to have a little bucking action at 55-60.

This is a good reason to get a lot of data on an initial build. Every customer's driving situation is a little different.

I agree 100%. I have a 3.42 diff with the 0.82 5th gear and it's perfect for the SF Bay Area.

Bernica 06-02-2016 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1393418)
Gasdoc, I saw Bernica's CSX4250 in person many years ago, but I thought it was the perfect shade of blue for me. Dark, but not too dark, and it really popped to the eye.

Bernica, wasn't that a Ford Taurus Blue, IIRC?

Why, yes it is and thanks RK! I have the exact paint code if someone needs it.
I personally love the color and get many compliments.:cool::cool:

RockBit 06-02-2016 11:10 AM

GasDoc - sounds like a well thought out build. I am waiting on ERA 812, it is at the painter now. How long did Connecticut Custom estimate the paint time?

Are you doing the assembly yourself?

I specified the .64 rear gear with a 3.54 rear, but most of the highways speeds in Texas are 75 mph.

lippy 06-02-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1393417)
I don't think it's too close to Guardsman Blue but the dark blue Lippy had his ERA painted is beautiful. Nearly looks black in some photos. I like the FIA wheels too.

Thanks, man. It's Ferrari Pozzi Blu. Non-metallic.