Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Big Block Street (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/142640-big-block-street.html)

DanEC 11-09-2020 04:30 AM

Curious as to what you used for the fuel cap grommet? That looks pretty much just like mine which is a toilet bowel to stool rubber seal.

cobrakiwi 11-09-2020 01:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1485009)
Curious as to what you used for the fuel cap grommet? That looks pretty much just like mine which is a toilet bowel to stool rubber seal.

I believe I used the same thing, the grommet seems to look and work just fine.

Fill neck finished, also got the dash and glovebox covered today.

Next up make up the glovebox door.

DanEC 11-09-2020 03:59 PM

Well, considering the high quality of your work I'll chalk that one up to having been a good idea.

cobrakiwi 11-14-2020 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, next up is the glove box door, still need to add a catch, limiting strap and pull handle.

xb-60 11-16-2020 12:17 AM

Looking nice, Craig. Good to see a normal roadster dash.
Do you have the glovebox hinge in yet?

Cheers,
Glen

cobrakiwi 11-16-2020 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1485330)
Looking nice, Craig. Good to see a normal roadster dash.
Do you have the glovebox hinge in yet?

Cheers,
Glen

Glen
Yes the hinge is in place, this is what I used.

1795 11-16-2020 04:55 AM

Looking great Craig. That white is nice, has a classy look to it.

cobrakiwi 12-13-2020 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jim.
Dash ready to install for the last time.

A/S65 12-13-2020 05:10 PM

Dash looks great. I have been curious as to why they went back to the Smiths and Lucas electrics on the 427’s.

xb-60 12-13-2020 06:11 PM

Why?
'cos they look better :3DSMILE:

Great job Craig!

Morris 12-14-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrakiwi (Post 1485030)
Fill neck finished.

You need a ground strap from fuel inlet to chassis....

cobrakiwi 12-17-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris (Post 1486451)
You need a ground strap from fuel inlet to chassis....

I got into this very discussion about this point with a friend, can you give me your reason / reasons why you need a ground strap?

Thanks.

patrickt 12-17-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrakiwi (Post 1486528)
I got into this very discussion about this point with a friend, can you give me your reason / reasons why you need a ground strap?

Thanks.

Same reason you do it on a boat (and there are regs for boats but I don't think there are for cars!). If you have a build up of static electricity, from the gas flowing in to the tank, and you don't have a path from the tank filler to the ground circuit of the car, and the stars align properly, then you can get a nasty spark, which you don't want. The general rule for boats is that a metal fuel fill system and metal fuel tank have to have less than 1 ohm resistance to the system ground. But, if you're feeling lucky, feel free to disregard this.:cool:

patrickt 12-17-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1486530)
Same reason you do it on a boat (and there are regs for boats but I don't think there are for cars!).

... and that's probably because there are a heckuva lot more fiberglass boats than there are fiberglass cars.:LOL:

patrickt 12-17-2020 10:43 AM

... so let's go to the videotape.%/ In this vid, the woman created the buildup of static electricity by getting back in to her car, maybe shuffling her butt around a bit, and with just the right fabrics involved, like wool pants, and then she touches the metal gas pump. On a non-grounded fuel inlet system, the rushing fuel itself can create the build up of electrons, and when the build up reaches the magic point, the electrons will jump. If the fuel inlet system is bonded to ground, the electrons instead will slowly dissipate through the system. And this is why you should never get back in your car and wait for the pump to click off.;)

Mongoose930 12-17-2020 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An interesting and timely topic. My driving season came to an end before I was fully prepared. I had about 10 gallons of 93 octane fuel with Ethanol in the tank. No gas treatment or Marvel oil either. I decided to buy the pump for my Flo Fast cans. I went and purchased 7.5 gallons of 110 Octane Cam2 fuel. When I got home, I used the pump to siphon out 7.5 gallons of the regular fuel from the Cobra which I treated and will use for my snowblower, generator, etc. I then used the pump to put the 7.5 gallons of treated 110 octane fuel back in the Cobra. I read lots of warnings about static electricity before using the pump. I did use the ground wire and connected it to the Lemans cap flange, but I was definitely wondering how well that flange was grounded. I am hoping the aluminum body helped a bit. Anyway, I did not blow up but was a bit nervous.

patrickt 12-17-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose930 (Post 1486536)
I read lots of warnings about static electricity before using the pump. I did use the ground wire and connected it to the Lemans cap flange, but I was definitely wondering how well that flange was grounded. I am hoping the aluminum body helped a bit. Anyway, I did not blow up but was a bit nervous.

Holding the lit Lucky Strike behind your back while you pumped definitely helped.;)

cobrakiwi 12-17-2020 03:17 PM

Kevin, your cap is connected to the rest of your car through the six bolts attaching the cap flange to the body.;)

cobrakiwi 12-17-2020 03:23 PM

What did all the original csx 3k cars do with there filler caps as far as ground straps go?
Any of you original car owners out there have an answer to this one?
Thanks.

patrickt 12-17-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrakiwi (Post 1486539)
What did all the original csx 3k cars do with there filler caps as far as ground straps go?
Any of you original car owners out there have an answer to this one?
Thanks.

All the original fiberglass cars had them.;) Seriously, if the metal fuel inlet portion is securely fastened to an aluminum body, and the fuel tank itself is securely fastened to the frame via a conductor like aluminum and not leather straps, then the resistance of both those components are almost certain to be less than one ohm to the system ground. Glass cars like my ERA require a little more care.