21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

So...Mike...what's the decision?
As original or electronic?

Cheers
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 10-27-2019 at 04:45 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I want to go electronic, but Im getting beat up here. probably cable type...
Old 10-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I want to go electronic, but Im getting beat up here. probably cable type...
You could always just do what you want, and then tell everyone here that you took their advice instead. Post a couple of shots that you photoshopped to cover your tracks and there you have it, problem solved.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Mike, with the huge amount of compromises that a Cobra owner has to deal with, this one's small.
It's all part of the car's character, all part of what draws you out to open the garage door and go for a drive, just 'cuz you want to.

And, as Patrick said earlier, if it's installed and greased properly...it'll be fine.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 10-28-2019, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I love my GPS speedometer from Speedhut which has the electronic odometer. It also shows me my 0-60MPH times as well as my 1/4 mile ET. If you like the electronic speedometer, go for it. As you said, you're not building a concourse car. In my view, the tiny electronic odometer display rather than the "rollover" odometer is not a big deal.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Between the two Smiths gauges I would go with the electronic speedo, it’s more accurate and if you’re not trying for 100% period correct it’s ultimately what you want. I probably would have kept the CS Autometer gauges or go with some Speedhut gauges, they are really cool.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can go with the Mechanical Smiths and use the Speedhut GPS interface box. It can be ordered with different speedo cables and is Speed offset tunable.

https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...peed-Converter
Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

You all are wrong wet your finger and hold it outside the colder it gets the faster you will be going that"s all you need to tell how fast you are going. you can save time and money. you also can keep your eyes on the road while performing this .Way safer than taking your eyes off the road to look at some silly speedometer. That is why a lot of guys crash these cars
Old 02-18-2020, 10:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
You all are wrong wet your finger and hold it outside the colder it gets the faster you will be going that"s all you need to tell how fast you are going. you can save time and money. you also can keep your eyes on the road while performing this .Way safer than taking your eyes off the road to look at some silly speedometer. That is why a lot of guys crash these cars
hauss is right. I have the SC dash with the nice reverse Smiths speedo over in the center of the dash. The only time I ever look at that gauge is just to make sure it's working and the needle is not bouncing. All other times I use the tachometer that is right in front of me and just do the easy math in my head as to how fast I'm going depending on the gear.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

The only thing I regret in terms of the gauges is dealing with Nissenger... Drama queen for sure. The typical guy who does NOT listen to a word you say, then points the finger at you.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

A cable speedometer... no thanks. It's 2020. Unless you are hung up on the authenticity thing even though you have a car that is not an authentic Cobra but want to believe it is. Go with the electronic. Easy to calibrate. Hardly any moving parts.

Fred
Old 06-14-2020, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

The GPS unit has a delay and doesn't work 100% of the time, if GPS unavailable.. I was advised to stay away.
The electronic unit, although it has a LCD display, is easily programmable. Additionally, it has a trip meter and a tattletale. It will tell you the highest speed achieved since the last reset. I can tell you recently my mechanic had it up to 142. Been meaning to talk to him about that. Just to make sure the front end felt solid. LOL
Gaz64 likes this.

Last edited by MKS427; 06-14-2020 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The GPS unit has a delay and doesn't work 100% of the time, if GPS unavailable.
I have a GPS speedo and I love it. It does sometimes take a minute or so to locate the satellite if I haven't run the car in a while so I might get a couple hundred yards down the street before it starts working. For me that's not a big deal. It's way more reliable than the piece of crap Stewart Warner gauge I had before.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: