• 2 Post By joyridin'

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Jag vs Ford third member

I have a pal who is a past Cobra builder/owner. He tells me that a Jag rear end gives a superior ride to a Ford. My question is, if you have coil-over spring set up, what difference does it make. The ride is in the spring /shock set-up.... No?? I need some education..Thanks
Old 02-08-2021, 04:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn8 View Post
I have a pal who is a past Cobra builder/owner. He tells me that a Jag rear end gives a superior ride to a Ford. My question is, if you have coil-over spring set up, what difference does it make. The ride is in the spring /shock set-up.... No?? I need some education..Thanks
An IRS rear, like a Jag set up, will generally give you a better ride quality on the street when going over bumps and pot holes and what not than a solid axle will. Performance can be debated, but for comfort that's what he's saying.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I thought my car rode better with the windshield washers off and the glove box locked - but that's just me. If you don't have a glove box you'll never be able to run the test or appreciate the difference in ride quality.

I do have a buddy who replaced his knockoffs with the traditional five bolt hubs and he says his ride is best when the nuts are torqued incrementally more, by 1 ft/lb each, in a clockwise direction. I asked him if he had ever tested it in a counterclockwise direction and he said the car definitely did not ride as nice — so go figure.

I think the direction of torque increase and the incremental amount of fastener torque increase per stud probably has more to do with the ride quality than the center section choice. But, then again has anyone ever checked to see the ride difference when you torque the ring gear bolts in clockwise vs counter-clockwise direction. That might be a very revealing experiment.

Ed
Dominik likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 02-08-2021 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 02-08-2021, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Wasted Air

I'd expect nothing less from a Tesla driver
Old 03-21-2021, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm going to tag onto this with a different angle. What is the better rear end for street driving JAG IRS or Ford IRS, this would take into consideration the ride comfort?

What would be the better rear end for track JAG IRS or FORD IRS?

The reason I ask is because a couple of the build kit companies only offer JAG IRS and some other companies only offer ford IRS. So the rear ends could potentially be a deciding factor when choosing a kit company.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The reason I ask is because a couple of the build kit companies only offer JAG IRS and some other companies only offer ford IRS. So the rear ends could potentially be a deciding factor when choosing a kit company.
No. Pick your car first, your rear will then answer itself. And make sure you have a handle on your budget. Some of these "kits" will run you six figures.
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

The independent rear if done correctly will give better ride and better handling. A solid rear axle will be nearly equal on perfectly smooth surfaces.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Jag IRS with SIX adjustable coil-overs (2 front - 4 rear) is the better ride/handling package.
However, if you're going to subject it to any punishment, key components need to be
reinforced in similar fashion ERA and Unique Motorcars do to their respective Jag setups.

The Ford stick axle has a durability edge if you envision "Burnout Tuesday" every week.

Last edited by Unique427; 03-22-2021 at 04:54 AM..
Old 03-22-2021, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jag rearends are outdated and hard to find parts for these days. Nothing against them, they work great, but the Ford is stronger and much easier to find parts for if you want to swap gears or change brakes etc.
ERA 626 and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Dana 44 parts are everywhere,
Old 03-22-2021, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I love my Jag IRS.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
Dana 44 parts are everywhere,
You have to change over the carrier, gears, and bearings to match a Dana 44 at least on the earlier units.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mine is all xke Jag suspension nice but expensive, if you are just street cruising any thing will work
Old 03-23-2021, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique427 View Post
The Jag IRS with SIX adjustable coil-overs (2 front - 4 rear) is the better ride/handling package.
However, if you're going to subject it to any punishment, key components need to be
reinforced in similar fashion ERA and Unique Motorcars do to their respective Jag setups.

The Ford stick axle has a durability edge if you envision "Burnout Tuesday" every week.
he is not asking about a "stick axle" he is asking about jag IRS vs. Ford IRS...
Old 03-23-2021, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No. Pick your car first, your rear will then answer itself. And make sure you have a handle on your budget. Some of these "kits" will run you six figures.
What Patrick said. Find THE car you want. It should have the suspension you want.

John
Old 03-23-2021, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Heed this advice. The kit you choose will have a suspension with it. With your budget the choices are going to be limited. Remember the box and stay inside it for your first purchase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: