10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As I'm working to get the windshield lined up it is becoming very apparent that my proportions are more base on the fia..... rounded leading edge of doors, shorter wheelbase (very noticeable as I look at the distance between the side vent and the cockpit)

This is definitely a huge learning experience. I plan to push on with what I have for now, mostly because these adjustments would pretty much mean scrapping the current body. Too much invested not to take this model to conclusion. I am sure there will be a 2nd cobra in my future. (I was scratching my head as I was trying to figure how I was going to stuff an FE under the hood AND have foot boxes, I couldn't figure out how it was all going to fit.

On the bright side, I won't kill my self trying to get everything period correct and will just have a vehicle that has been VERY heavily influenced by the cobra.

Last edited by Berg; 07-16-2008 at 11:23 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

Berg,
i've just sent 3d dxf bodyshell to your email

Glyn,
do not look my pet project;
http://picasaweb.google.com/ozgur.ta...ey=2t9bgNur68Y
specially this page;
http://picasaweb.google.com/ozgur.ta...48741668552354
Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A huge thanks to Ozgur. I took the data he got by scanning an actual scale model into CAD and threw it next to my car to see how off I am. Although I AM definitely off, no where as bad as I feared. I may go back and adjust proportions to get the body in line. For now, I will push forward with my version and ride the momentum I have going.

here they are side by side. The wheelbase is actually good, but the actual cobra is a little longer, especially the rear overhang.

The nose should be taller, the rear a bit more "pontooned" and in general a bit curvier. Other differences can be seen, hood, cockpit, doors, etc, but all in all I happy with how close I was able to get just based on photo reference.

Last edited by Berg; 07-17-2008 at 12:32 AM..
Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

we're all gearheads and we've to stand together
frankly, this 3d dxf model is not scanned one, but i've checked and it's very well
i've had scanned 289ussrc math data
regards
ozgur
Old 07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

a little progress, got the windshield and the roll bar mounted. The roll bar diameter is a bit thin I think, looking through ref may need to get this to be a bit more substantial.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a little bit of progress, but frankly, the weather was too nice to bask in the glow of an LCD screen

The side pipes are quick and dirty, but got the radiator, oil cooler, housing and braided lines done. A little more detail in the headlights, the hood latches, roll bar has been updated and am starting to work on the interior.

Here are the wires in maya. When smoothed I'm pushing close to a million polygons. So far my laptop is doing surprisingly well, but I do expect to have to start working in sections very soon.

I will handle alot of the detail work like the braiding on the lines and the radiator itself when I do the materials.

hood latches. tough to judge scale and placement from the pics, but I think I have these pretty solid

side pipes are pretty rough at the moment. Roll bar is a bit larger in diameter and feels more substantial

As always, comments and feedback appreciatted.

Cheers!
-Will

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/89239-bergs-build-log.html
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

quick update-

worked on the side pipes. This was actually pretty challenging, the 4 into 1 I wanted as one piece, so building the geometry to do this took a bit of time, but I think the results look solid.

Would be excited to hear any comments, suggestions, feedback

Cheers

-Will

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89239
Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Took a bit of a break from modeling and wanted to see what kind of render I could get. Still playing with the materials, lights, and render settings, but starting to get there

I'm always hoping for feedback from you guys, would love to get your thoughts...

cheers!

-Will

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default nice model

HiĻ

These pic looks great.

I made one 3d-model and use it to my buil. Just be carefull or you will also have soon 1:1 model in your carage as I have...

I never made a detailed surface model because I need only some sections for my body/mold build. I have made few quik model using meshlab but that is far a way from that quality what you have in your model.

I have made chassis model what should be corect (according drawings what I got from this forum) and I will use that in my buil. Do you have any plans to add chassis to your model? Made poster where body is trasperent so that chasis is somehow visible. That could looks nice.

Ozgur: Did you (or some one else) use those 3d models ever to build a real 1:1body?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default 427sc?

Berg,

Very impressive. One observation, however, the front of the car looks like that of a 427SC. The rear flares are missing and the fender looks very skinny like that of a 289 slab side. Just my thoughts.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i've just finished ac/shelby 289 ussrc/fia 3d model and i'll start as soon as i setup my new workshop.
i've sent 427 3d model to a lot of people @ clubcobra, i'm pretty sure that at least one guy built body from scratch using 3d model
regards
ozgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post
HiĻ

Ozgur: Did you (or some one else) use those 3d models ever to build a real 1:1body?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

jberg: thanks for the compliments. I do hope that a 1:1 model is in my future I was originally thinking engine and chasis, but I"m starting to hit a point where my computer throws up the white flag and shows me the desktop. (pushing a couple million polys for my render version). So... maybe.... might try and do it and then render in separate passes then composite it all together.

froggyman: thanks for the feedback, looking into it right now... I think I made the mistake and started with some blueprints of a 289, the leading edge of the doors are definately not from a 427. I thought I had the rear end sorted, but guess not, haha. If you see anything else, definitely don't' be shy.

playing with materials for the lights and radiator... still a work in progress, but coming together slowly. Should have a post soon. Wish I could post bigger images, such a shame to render out some big shots, just to down res them to post 'em

cheers
-Berg

Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hey froggyman, not sure if this is what your talking about and if so, seems to be some discrepancies depending on the different manufacturer... are you refering to the little lip around the rear wheel arch?

and for fun, starting to work on some of the materials, not happy with the headlights yet, but getting there. Still need to do the mesh in the brake vents, work on the metal material, get a braided material for the braided lines form the oil cooler, and also want to get the stripes down the middle, so much left to do, but the progress is going well

The windshield and the roll bar are booth a bit too tall, giving this kind of cartoony proportions, will address those tonight

Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Body Area?

Hello

Could you say what is area (scuare meter/feet etc) of this body? I just wonder what it is and I don't get that from my model because I have just point cloud.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

sorry jberg, not sure I understand the question.... are you looking for the total area of the body (for example if I were to lay it out flat, haw many square feet it would cover?)

If that is the question, I don't have any idea and am not sure how I would figure it out... What do you need this information for if I may ask?

-Berg

Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi

" if I were to lay it out flat, haw many square feet it would cover?"
- Yes this is what I try to ask.

So I just wonder that if there is some command/icon like "surface area" in program what you use then you could tell that area amount easily.

Main reason is that I try figure out that how much I will need resin/fiber mat etc materials to build one body/mold (and much that take to build one body).

I have use cad programs like Ideas and those cad files are "volume models" not only surfaces so there I get these weights/area info easily but I don't have that kind of model of cobra body.

-jberg
Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

wow, that's quite impressive! good work on the details. Are you still working on it? Do you mind sharing?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

HI Berg,
What a great hobby !!
Love the results that Maya provides... really need to train myself in that !!

My recommendations for any confusing areas... (which is almost every square inch of this beast), is to start with the details. Get a scale on certain pieces and work backwards when necessary. Look through peoples galleries and the For sale section for close up shots of parts (the devil is in the details!!). I have quite the collection of close up shots and interesting angles that may help answer a few Q's. I can email you pics if you like.

Mike.
Attached Images

M. Krause
Old 08-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra body

I'm a newbie here, and I know this thread is a little old... But let me say that's some fine 3D work, as fine as I see everyday in aerospace. (We make military aerospace components, gear boxes, landing gear ballsscrews, etc etc etc)

Would you be willing to share your station templates? I.e. The prints for the body that can be printed 1.0 to 1.0 and built out of plywood as a buck? Me and some equally minded engineers would like to build a full size male mold from them. Thanks!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: