28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 1972 Datsun 240Z vintage race car for sale

Tired of getting stone chips in your Cobra during track events? Buy a real (and cost effective) race car. Last year, I had five class victories in six races and an overall with HSR-West (vintage C Production). I also had several top 5s running against newer cars with TCRA, etc. This car may be the quickest stock bodied Z car anywhere, certainly it is on the west coast. On tiny vintage spec 225/50/15 tires, the car runs 1:33 at big Willow (same lap times as the guys running Shelby spec racers)and 1:52 on the Cal Speedway long course. Imagine what it would do with some real tires as an open track or ITE car. The car is legal for TCRA, VARA (CP mod), SCCA (ITE), NASA (PS-0), AROC, HSR, and who knows what else. The car has just been completely freshened (rings, bearings, valvetrain, carbs, suspension, diff, trans all redone in Nov/Dec) and needs NOTHING to go racing immediately.

Basic specs are:
2250 pounds wet, not including driver (there is another 100 pounds to take off, the car still has glass windows, a steel hood, steel bumpers, stock dash, etc.)
3.0 liter stroked 280Z motor - 305 hp at the crank, 250 RWHP by House of Cobras in Anaheim, Ca
Triple Weber 45 DCOE carbs
12.x:1 compression
ATI damper
Custom forged crank, custom Ross pistons, secret (you find out when you buy the car) rods, valvetrain, etc.
Nismo header
5 speed Datsun trans
locked 4.11 Datsun rear
EGT datalogging system monitors each cylinder individually
Outlaw disk brakes all around, custom hats and rotors
Arizona Z car racing aluminum radiator
EMI (Erik Messley) racing suspension with sectioned struts, relocated lower control arm pickup points and steering rack, camber plates, Koni inserts, solid rear suspension mounts, adjustable rear toe
Completely re-wired from scratch in 2003, GM three wire alternator conversion
Cobra Suzuka kevlar seat, Schroth harness, halon system, fuel cell, full cage, battery cutoff, current log book(s)
Lots of spares, three sets of Panasports, three transmissions, $700 worth of Weber jets, extra body panels, oil pumps, water pumps, ignition parts, alternators, too much more to list
I also have a carbon fiber hood that I have not installed yet, but probably will before the next race in January.

I will make a smokin' deal if someone wants the tow rig as well (96 Suburban
3/4 ton, 7.4 liter and a 24 foot Wells Cargo enclosed trailer.) Please don't contact me about the truck or trailer alone, as I can not get rid of them until the car is gone.

$18,500 for the car and all the spares

Pics available. Race results and verified AMB transponder times at
www.hsr-westracing.com

Mike Eckhaus
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2003, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

McFEz,
Here you go!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No SH!T
Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, Butler, Excalibur, Shell Valley, CMC, Factory Five, Unique and assisted on most of the brands out there. Big Block, Small Block, Ford, Chevy, 350hp to insane hp!
Not Ranked     

Sounds and looks like a nice car. I race a 70 240Z that is somewhat similar to this car. At track events as well as at full comp events it is yet to be passed by anything short of GT-1 spec. I decided to purchase and build my 240Z after a race long battle with one in the late 70's. I was racing my Cobra as a ASR. I would pass the Z at the end of the straights and he would get by me in the twisty sections. I was impressed. I still am. Owning a Cobra is fun and cool, but for bang for the buck it is very, very hard to beat a well prepared Z car! If you have a problem selling the car I might be interested in your spares. Call me at (414)298-2068 or e-mail at projects@hotrodbuilders.com.

Later,
Bob Bennett
Bennett Coachworks
Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I completely agree, Bob. Z cars can be amazing track animals. I decided to buy mine during an HSR-West event about two years ago. I was swearing loudly while changing a halfshaft in my Superformance, and a friend of mine shows up with a 240Z that he paid $2000 for. Heck, I had more than that tied up just in wheels. Anyway, he wants to sign up for the 1 hour race but didn't want to spend the money. So, I fess up the money for gas and entry fees. We start from the back (25th) because we didn't enter before qualifying. We wind up 4th overall. The next day I was shopping for a Z car. Beside being affordable, what I like about the Z is how tossable it is. It's an incredibly easy car to throw around and catch. I have some old practice tires that I use on open track days, and I love painting stripes off corners and seeing how long I can maintain a drift. You could never get away with that kind of driving in most Cobras.

Erik, my suspension guy (and professional racer/crew chief for others as well) is firmly convinced the car has another 2 seconds per lap at Willow with the right shock and bar settings. Heck, we've only been there twice with this particular car. If he's right, the car would be top three in the big bore group every time out.

Mike
Old 01-02-2004, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yeah, don't you just love the look and sound of triple Webers?
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2004, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

one more....
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2004, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bumpin myself. Still for sale. The magazine ads come out in a couple of weeks, so get it now while it's still around.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know I'm really starting to hate that Z car I have to run against here at the local track. It "looks" so stock and just blows the doors off everybody! I just hate it!

Ernie
Old 01-27-2004, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know, if you can't beat em....

I'm going to be in your neck of the ocean in June. Maybe ship the car and set you up? OK, I know that was just shameless of me. Sorry. I loved racing my SPF, but the Datsun is just so fast for so little money.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Seems like it should run around Willow a little faster. What did it do at SPIR? (infineon). it's a good thing they took the Rx7's out of ITS / ITE It's one thing to lose to a 280 /300. But to be flogged by a car with NO pistons.... I'll pass.

p.s. I paid less than this for my Cobra

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 01-27-2004, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

just kidding. Nice car.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 01-27-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I know you were just having fun, and my response is going to sound defensive, but I think those times are pretty decent. Especially considering I'm a mortal driver, not a professional or even just one of the ITS hotshoes like Lampe, Messley, etc.

You gotta remember we're running vintage rules here, not ITE, which is a run-what-ya-brung class with big tires, power adders, etc. We're very tire limited in vintage (225/50 for my car), so a :33 is pretty respectable, and those times ARE the same as the Shelby spec racers have been running at Willow with Nascar tires AND faster than the ITS record. ITS uses the same tire size as I do, but I have way more power. I figure my ability to be only a second or two quicker than the ITS record at Willow is due to some phenominal track conditions and drivers when the ITS record was set (try and find where any of them are actually consistently running quicker than :35's). My times at Cal Speedway are more telling of the car, where I'm a whole lot (4 to 6 secs) faster than the ITS record. My lap times at Cal Speedway are also faster than EVERY AP and BP car that ran there in the VARA August event on the same day. The only faster big bore cars were X class or modern cars.

As for those cars with no pistons, they're about equal to the Z's in ITS, but none of them are legal for vintage, which for me is where the fun is. And, any car prepped to the limit of ITE would also not be allowed in vintage.

Haven't taken this car to SPIR, so I can't answer that question.

Sorry again to be defensive.

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Please do not race. It is way too much fun, and highly addicting.
Not Ranked     
Default I admit it...

My name is Stephen...and I am a race-a-holic.
McFez, come on the bandwagon with us.

Stephen
Cobra University
Old 01-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Damn nice car. I had a BRE 510 back in the early 70s, so it takes me back.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stephen and Mike

Would love to join in on this one but I have a little problem. I took a 2002 ZO6 as a partial trade for my old 427 powered ERA and I have to find a home for it before I can go racing again. I know, why get rid of it? Well, it's not the kind of car I want to run, and it's worth more than I want to have invested in a track car. Got any ideas???

the former McFEz
Old 02-01-2004, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow. Z06's are great cars. I had the pleasure to drive a few at Willow Springs not too long ago. Really great track cars. Hope you find a home for it.

Mike
Old 03-13-2004, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still for sale. Started off the 2004 season with a 2nd in class in Phoenix. Would have been first, but I spun in the qualifying race and had to come from the back. Next race is California Speedway on the 20th and 21st. Make and offer and I'll let you race it instead.

Mike
Old 03-21-2004, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gotta brag. 1st overall this weekend at Cal Speedway. Still looking for offers.

Mike