Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Beware !!

I listes a NOS Ford $27 Fuel Injection unit. I was contacted by a Sarah, who used broken English min her emails. She ststed she was purchasing my unbit, and to remove it from all selling sites. I told her I did, but I did not. Last night I received another email telling me I would receive an overnight payment via UPS.

This package originated in Brooklyn NY according yo UPS, TWO packages arrived just now, both contained identical checks for $5,500.00, with instructions to email; jmfasting@aol; to receive instructions to wire funds to.

Package says it came from Jim Kurt, 578-598-9002,1200 10th Avb., Great FallsMT

I don't have to tell you that the scamers are out there, and now they have invaded our forum.

BE CAREFUL
Old 10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

broken english
Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Tell them you desire (no, insist!) on shipping the materials to their Brooklyn location in conjunction with the wiring of any funds. Then go to the backyard and clean up after Fido and dump it in a plastic lined box. I think you can figure out the rest...
Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This happened to me a little while ago. They are Nigerians working a con. They sent me E-mails wanting a check, I told them I had turned it over to the Tampa Office of the FBI and please contact them, as they (FBI) wanted to talk to them. Never heard from them again.

Bill K
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Thank them for their payment and then explain the extra "handling charge" which negates a return or forwarding of funds .......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I work for a foundry. Someone called & tried a similar scam yesterday. They are getting ballsy!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

There is virtually no risk up front and *ZERO* recourse once you wire the funds, and they only need a sales rate a hundreth of that of Beverly Hills Bugatti to rake it in - how ballsy would you be in trying to rope people?

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 10-29-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Ballsy in the sense that it's usually obvious it's a scam from the getgo for all of the previously mentioned reasons. Ballsy because they are calling US businesses on the phone rather than trying to hook the innocenty niave by email. But I understand what you are saying. Absolutely nothing you can do if you fall for something like this.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Tell them that you are a man of the cloth and that the funds for the items are going to be used to build an orphanage. In order to gain their trust that they are upstanding businessmen, you need some physical proof that they are righteous human beings and have compassion for all humanity. This physical proof could be in the form of a photograph of this person holding a LARGE fish (the internationally recognized symbol of Christianity) in their hands and kissing it, thus showing their respect for God and all things sacred to mankind.

Then post the picture here and I'll tell you what to do for the Second Act of the production.

-Dean
Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Please reply

Hello, I was investigating whether this could be a possible scam and found this posting. I posted my volvo on craigslist and got the same response you talking about. I just received a check for $2500 via UPS and was asked to wire the money to an address, and that he'd send a shipper to pick up my car. I told him no I would not until I knew whether this was a scam and if the check clears. I asked him to call me and he said he couldn't because his mother was sick and he had to visit her, so I responded are there no phones available? How can he email but not talk? I can tell he's from somewhere else, his english/grammar is broken on the emails. I want to know what was the outcome for you or what is the scam? Are these fake checks? I checked out the bank, and the bank is real, but I can't tell if these are counterfeit checks or not.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guarantee you it's a scam. Did you really need to ask?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I checked with my bank when I received one of these checks when I listed my 86 Honda Interceptor on a site. They said the bank was probably legit but after they submitted several of them for payment for other customers, the bank in Nigeria denied payment after a lengthy wait for it to clear. At that point, it comes back to your bank and you better have the funds in your account to cover it. Obviously, if you have shipped the goods (exactly what these scammers want you to do), you are screwed!

Never, never fall for these scams. They're crooks and neither the FBI or banking officials can touch them. Our laws are for us, not them.

Last edited by SantaFe66; 10-29-2009 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ah .....keep the change

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just played with them, my unit was priced at 3000.00, then sent me 11.000.00 in 2 checks, wanted me to wire them the excess, and a shipper would pick my unit up. I told them that they owed me more $, to cover packaging, and that there was no money left to wire them, that ended their emails.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suggest that anyone caught in this scam just deposit the checks in a savings account and leave them there. Don't ship the item, don't send the "refund" - just wait.

I suspect that in many cases, the scammers are working with the banks, or some insider in the bank. They don't void the checks and claim they were stolen or forged until AFTER they get the item and/or the wired money. So if you sit on the checks... and sit on them... they can't void them or reject them in due time.

It would be an interesting experiment if anyone wants to play.

By the way, you do understand why they use UPS, DHL etc. to send the checks? Because if they mailed them, it would be mail fraud, and some very heavy Federal action would get involved. An awful lot of scammers, insurance fraudsters, etc. have gotten hit much harder for "use of the mails for fraud" than for the fraud itself. It would be less of a threat to someone outside the US, but the feds have tools - and reach - that state and local agencies don't, and I suspect that Mr. Nigeria would have some very uncomfortable days.

Last edited by Gunner; 10-29-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 AM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Tell them that you are a man of the cloth and that the funds for the items are going to be used to build an orphanage. In order to gain their trust that they are upstanding businessmen, you need some physical proof that they are righteous human beings and have compassion for all humanity. This physical proof could be in the form of a photograph of this person holding a LARGE fish (the internationally recognized symbol of Christianity) in their hands and kissing it, thus showing their respect for God and all things sacred to mankind.

Then post the picture here and I'll tell you what to do for the Second Act of the production.

-Dean
The below link is a site for those whose hobby is making these "419" scammers look ridiculous.

http://www.419eater.com/
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

a few year back Coach received one of their "checks". It was a certified check on a bank in Illinois. He took the check to his bank, they contacted the bank in Illinois who stated the check was counterfeited. The bank called in the FBI.
We need to get the FBI involved everytime so they can put a stop to the oversea scams.
Dwight
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, Sarah, Jim Kurt, and jmfasting sent me $3600 for a $1400 purchase last week. The check came UPS from Jim Kurt with the address of a shopping center and a non-existant area code phone number. Sarah claimed to be in Seattle with a sick kid and otherwise would have driven to Houston to pick up the item. Really, 'bout a three day drive. Well, it's interesting her IP address is located in Nigeria.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

I just play along with them. It is easy to tell a scammer. I have them send me their check and then wait. I don't deposit it. This way the scammer goes through the hassle of making a check and paying for shipping. I now have over $240,000 worth of fake checks. The checks look good but are fake. I now have a collection of fake checks and FedEx and UPS get some extra business from the scammers.

Just having fun, FIA Mike

PS: If eveyone contacted by these clowns did this the scammers would go away.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I got the same contact info and followed up on the addresses and tel numbers. Nothing worked.
The check was marked "certified check" in the memo filed. Written for $2,400 for a $500 purchase with the balance going to different parties, again unverifiable. There were multiple communications as to whether the check was received and funds wired. There was no concern for the product that initiated the "purchase".
The check was written from MoGuide Academy Inc. in Lawrenceville, GA. The bank was Branch Banking & Trust in Lawrenceville this is a real bank. I didn't check available funds. Too much other info didn't work to bother.
I called the local police, they do not even try to follow up on these. Also spoke to a sheriff friend who does follow I-Net crimes. Way to hard to track to bother with.
My banker told me that it can take 30-60 days to really know that a check won't come back. He did offer to cash it and then wait and see.
Seller Beware!
Jim