14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     
Default Some sort of SCAM....not sure????

I have an aluminum 302 block listed in the classifieds on this forum. I listed it quite some time back and havent had any messages or feedback about it for a while now.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from a Frank Mayer asking if the block was still available and if the condition had changed. He did not ask if the block was still available rather he asked if the "ITEM" was still available. He also wanted to know my bottom price.

I replied back to him that is was still available and the condition had not changed and I gave him a bottom dollar amount. Today I have an e-mail from him telling me that he is happy with the price and the condition of the ITEM and that he would like to send me with a cashiers check and he would arrange for someone to pick it up.

It seems like a scam to me. He didnt ask for any more pics. Didnt ask for any specs on the bore size so forth and so on. In my first reply to him I gave him my phone number and asked him to call me...he has yet to do that.

I sent him back an e-mail today telling him I thought this was a scam and that he need to call me before I would exchange any info with him.

Frank Mayer is the name. his e-mail is mayer.frank70@yahoo.com

Maybe this guy is legit...I dont think so.

Sorry for the long post

Gene
Old 11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

He has answered everyone's ads. Yes, it is a scam!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would make sure the "cashier's check" clears before I released the block to anyone. This reeks of a classic counterfeit cashier's/official check scam.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427 / ERA 289 USRRC
Not Ranked     
Default Me Too!

I got one from him as well. Seems he wants to buy all of our stuff! Maybe he's scratch building a car.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could take some time for the bank to figure out if the check is legit. I'd cash it and then sit on the for sale "item" for at least two weeks, if not longer.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

It's a duck!

Bob
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob, after careful analysis of the particular walk and sound, I would have to concur, it is indeed a Duck...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

A bad cashier's check (money orders too) can take weeks before a bank figures out it's bad. It will clear & then come back when it get's found out. The bank will take the money back from any of your accounts. Best not to play.

These people buy items off the internet with fake cashier's checks. Get the items, then relist the items & accept good cahier's checks & never ship the items. They sell the same item multiple times ripping off multiple people & then take the item to a swap meet or pawn shop or wherever they can & unload it for cash.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Could take some time for the bank to figure out if the check is legit. I'd cash it and then sit on the for sale "item" for at least two weeks, if not longer.
The way this scam works they are counting on you to believe that since it is a "cashier's check" that it has to be good and you will give them the goods. The problem is that some of the counterfeit checks are very good copies and they will fool you AND your bank when you deposit it. It is only later when the OTHER bank (the one the check was drawn on) denies payment that you get into trouble. Your bank will be looking for the money from you if you spent it (or gave the difference to the person who picked up the goods). At best you will get hit with a bad check fee from your bank and your goods are gone.

If you do a quick internet search you will see that some people have lost a lot of money/goods in these scams.

Pete
Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

He sent me two e-mails on two different items also. It's a scam he doesn't ask any specific questions about your "item". I think we should all send him about 10 e-mails an hour for a week or two whattya think?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

He emailed me too looking to buy my Weber carbs and a stewart warner fuel pump. He did not have a clue about either. He also wanted to arrange his shipping company to pick up the package....
A duck....
Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427 / ERA 289 USRRC
Not Ranked     

Maybe we can offer him a Bulk Discount on all of the items. All he has to do is come pick up the items in person!

And remember folk's! Next time some advertising agency asks you for your name and email address. You guessed it! mayer.frank70@yahoo.com

Have a nice Day!

Last edited by Mike_I; 11-04-2010 at 12:57 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I received an email for an item as well. Big problem...I don't have anything for sale.

What an idiot. I guess he missed the "Scam 101" basics course.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

Figured it was a scam.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Sorta like this guy.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

REPLY TO HIM:

Frank Mayer stamp save. Bring please CASH. Item are to be waiting for pickup, thank you.
See soon !!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

a few years ago someone send Coach a $53,000 cashiers check for his Cobra. He was asking 35 or 40K. Coach took the check to his bank and they called the bank in Illinois that the check was written on. Counterfeit check. The bank in Illinois ask if he would send them the check and they contacted the FBI.

Dwight
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Car Co. replica of 1966 Cobra made in 1988 with big block bowtie (600 hp 454), Bought about 4 months ago
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-linkCobra View Post
I have an aluminum 302 block listed in the classifieds on this forum. I listed it quite some time back and havent had any messages or feedback about it for a while now.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from a Frank Mayer asking if the block was still available and if the condition had changed. He did not ask if the block was still available rather he asked if the "ITEM" was still available. He also wanted to know my bottom price.

I replied back to him that is was still available and the condition had not changed and I gave him a bottom dollar amount. Today I have an e-mail from him telling me that he is happy with the price and the condition of the ITEM and that he would like to send me with a cashiers check and he would arrange for someone to pick it up.

It seems like a scam to me. He didnt ask for any more pics. Didnt ask for any specs on the bore size so forth and so on. In my first reply to him I gave him my phone number and asked him to call me...he has yet to do that.

I sent him back an e-mail today telling him I thought this was a scam and that he need to call me before I would exchange any info with him.

Frank Mayer is the name. his e-mail is mayer.frank70@yahoo.com

Maybe this guy is legit...I dont think so.

Sorry for the long post

Gene
be careful he doesn't want to send you a check for more than the asking price and wants you to send him the difference back. That's a scam
Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

There atta be a law! How is it that we are subjected to such outright scams and no one seems to believe these guys need to be persecuted? I'm sensitive to this because my elderly parents are so gullible they fall for scams frequently.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2186
Not Ranked     

I'm glad I did a search by his name on this forum, I just got the exact same email.

Hello Seller,In reference to your on-line placed advert, I will like to know if this Item is still for sale and If it is, is the condition still remain as described in the advert?Kindly include your bottom price. I will be waiting for your response at your earliest convenience.Best Regards,Frank