Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Duane got his spell check idea posted before I could hit reply.

Last edited by tcrist; 04-13-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
As a long time member of this forum, I'm going to stand up for Unique on this one a bit, and ask for you as the poster to consider taking some of the accountability as an owner of a hand made custom car, making changes or upgrades yourself. i.e sometimes shi$$ happens. Yes, it is very possible that you are expecting too much from Unique. As other's have stated, these are not high volume manufactured cars. These are hand made cars with generations of changes - sometimes there are mistakes and tracking all the changes is not always a perfect process. In some cases the parts are made by a 3rd party supplier and resold by Unique too, and its easy to see how things can occur. Previously "owning" and "building" custom cars are two completely different levels of experience. I'd venture to say now If you had truly built custom cars prior to your Unique experience, all of your mounting points and measurements would have been measured an communicated up front with Unique and determined before you bought the parts. And, most of us who've experienced these kind of setbacks do enough of this kind of stuff regularly to just make it work and move on. You are not doing yourself or the new owner of your car any favors by making this post about Unique. Hats off to Unique for still being in business after all of these years. It probably is a good thing you sold your Unique. I would not recommend an ERA for you either. I don't want to see this same kind of post after you sell the ERA. ERA is a hand built car too, and there is always some variability from one generation to the next, just like Unique. Seriously, given your posts and rants about Unique and your experience, you might want to consider a Superformance since its already built for you. You could then just "own" it vs. trying to figure out how to upgrade or build it yourself. Everyone who builds these cars today understands everything you posted and can clearly see the gaps on both sides of the situation. Good Luck.

Re: Spell checker - You can create your post on your computer locally on a word processor tool (MS Word for example) or text editor, spell check it there, then cut-n-paste your text into your post if you need spell checker.
Duane,
With all due respect, I don't accept any part of it at all. I think you are missing the whole point of the complaint. No, I have never built a car from scratch but I am a very competent mechanic. I have hand fabbed many parts in my life. If you are on the Unique forum, look for a prop rod thread by me. In fact, here you go:
Hood prop rod question
They actually wanted me to put a screen door screw from Home Depot thru the underside of the hood , then put an O-Ring from the prop rod to the screw. Nice Fix! That is how Unique addresses problems
If you would, please re-read the original side-pipe thread, especially the part where Unique told me what to expect!!
I was totally up front with the new owner and have nothing to hide at all! He knows exactly why I was selling my car!
I will probably choose not to follow your advice about the ERA car and have faith in the ERA company. If ERA turns out to be the same way, then I will assume it is me and that is the nature of all replica companies, however, I get no indication of this when talking to Peter at ERA, in fact I get just the opposite!!! If this situation was an ERA I am 99.9% sure he would have taken care of his customer and done the right thing.
I am not saying nobody is entitled to make mistakes, as a company, just do the right thing to remedy it. when I was up at ERA a few months back they were actually working on a customers car. The mechanic I was talking to about my car told me a story about the car he was working on. It seems they did something wrong and Peter took the car right in to correct the problem free of charge. Now that is customer service.
My feeling is Unique should have at a minimum paid me for the work and materials needed to be done to get the pipes in the condition that I was told they were going to be in coming from Unique. They could have also refunded my money and accepted a return with them paying the shipping. Instead, they offered to do nothing but tell me how to spend my hard earned money use my valuable time to fix their screw up.

If you're right about ERA, I guess I will just go back to regular production car Hot Rods.

Thanks for the spell check suggestion...Dave

Last edited by davids2toys; 04-13-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

The problem that I see is that if you were not the one that first built the car then you do not know of any modifications that was done. How would you or most importantly the manufacture (does not matter who the manufacture is) know what modiications were made. How do you know that this area was not modified by a previous owner.

As far as the manufacture, how do they know that you (or someone else) did not modify the mounting locations?

Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Dave,
No disrespect, but I read your thread about the prop rod, and you were unable locate the part and did something else instead. Again, things can become lost in translation or some times you need to keep looking until you find what you really want or need. Finding the right bits and parts for these cars makes a difference in the outcome. In your prop-rod example, you did what you had to do with what you could find. This is no different on a Unique or ERA in making something custom like this even if its a simple screw, nutzert, or rubber strap contraption. No offense, but this type example is at the most basic level of building one of these cars. I see in Unique's recommendation, they provided you a recommendation and you ended up doing something else. If you could not find it at Home Depot or even Advanced Auto, there is the internet and a million places that sell fittings, fasteners, and more. There is a Home Depot source bits version of a Unique, and there there is a version built with quality bits. Its up to the builder to choose of course. No matter how anyone chooses to characterize it, its a custom built car. If possible, and its a consideration, you can also have ERA build your car for you. When its done, there is no guessing. Most people take 1-2 years to build their ERAs. After I sold my Unique, I built my first ERA in 2-1/4 months, to the day, and I was working 40 hours a week in my regular job. To do this, all the bits were all mapped out in advance. Having all the right parts measured and prepared for the job makes all the difference in the world. I learned a lot from my Unique build and upgrades. Its not a simple thing to do, but its not that complicated for someone who has built "custom" cars before. Custom meaning "some fabrication", not bolt on parts. I will say an ERA does have the edge a bit on build instructions and quality bit, but you need to buy the right bits from ERA directly if you want everything to come out seamlessly the first time. If not, you are right back to figuring it out yourself, some fabrication, and hunting for the right bits and parts just as you were on your Unique. Some times things do not fit exactly, especially when there has been change of owners and one person customized the original build maybe in a different way than what Unique originally provided in their deluxe pallet kit. This happens too when multiple people work on a car and make little tweaks here and there.

quote: "That is where I was, I scoured that aisle, nothing like that at all. I picked up some stainless theft proof license plate fasteners at Advance Auto, but I like yours much better, looks more finished!"

Question:
Comparing Apples-to-Apples with ERA and your example of onsite customer service, did you take your car to Unique with the parts they sold you and give them a first hand chance to look at it and fix it? Or was all of this done over the phone to try and resolve it?

Last edited by decooney; 04-13-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
The problem that I see is that if you were not the one that first built the car then you do not know of any modifications that was done. How would you or most importantly the manufacture (does not matter who the manufacture is) know what modiications were made. How do you know that this area was not modified by a previous owner.

As far as the manufacture, how do they know that you (or someone else) did not modify the mounting locations?

Just a thought.
In this case there was nothing that was modified that would have done this. I even ran this by Unique and they agreed. Stock motor mounts in the Unique locations. Stock side-pipe frame locations put in by Unique. stock Unique primary pipes. Unique later said said their jig has been modified a few times over the years. That is not my fault or concern. At my job, when we modify jigs we mark it for the aircraft number and forward and configure it so we can use the same jig for earlier and later configurations. The whole purpose of a jig is so you can build a part accurately and consistently the same way every time! Trust me, Unique knew my car and year clearly when I was ordering them. They told me what to expect and that is all I wanted or expected!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Maurice, at Unique, is building a new set of headers for my car now. He insisted that I send him the current set as a jig, so that they will be correct. These are custom cars and the only way to know if a part will match up is to have the car there while building exhaust parts. Unique has always built a quality product and I am happy to do business with them.

Justin
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also no disrespect Duane, but o rings and screen door screws after 30 years of being in business with a known problem with the wind blowing the hood off the prop rod. Do you know another quality company that has this problem? I don't, not ERA, not Superformance. After looking at many cars I made what i made for the prop rod and it came out great. It was not because I could not find the little bits and pieces. I did find them and still have them. I did not do it because it was a stupid, redneck BS fix that A) does not look good on a quality car and B) does not work(see the thread for another Unique owner that did it). there was a poster that said something like Unique should adapt my fix the their cars.
Duane, you act like I made these side-pipes myself! I did order it from the manufacturer and paid good money for them. You even say this in your reply"but you need to buy the right bits from ERA directly if you want everything to come out seamlessly the first time" I did buy it from them directly???
As far as the fix, I live in CT and Unique is in Alabama. I did everything I could, numerous very polite phone calls , pictures, etc.

Quote:
Dave,
No disrespect, but I read your thread about the prop rod, and you were unable locate the part and did something else instead. Again, things can become lost in translation or some times you need to keep looking until you find what you really want or need. Finding the right bits and parts for these cars makes a difference in the outcome. In your prop-rod example, you did what you had to do with what you could find. This is no different on a Unique or ERA in making something custom like this even if its a simple screw, nutzert, or rubber strap contraption. No offense, but this type example is at the most basic level of building one of these cars. I see in Unique's recommendation, they provided you a recommendation and you ended up doing something else. If you could not find it at Home Depot or even Advanced Auto, there is the internet and a million places that sell fittings, fasteners, and more. There is a Home Depot source bits version of a Unique, and there there is a version built with quality bits. Its up to the builder to choose of course. No matter how anyone chooses to characterize it, its a custom built car. If possible, and its a consideration, you can also have ERA build your car for you. When its done, there is no guessing. Most people take 1-2 years to build their ERAs. After I sold my Unique, I built my first ERA in 2-1/4 months, to the day, and I was working 40 hours a week in my regular job. To do this, all the bits were all mapped out in advance. Having all the right parts measured and prepared for the job makes all the difference in the world. I learned a lot from my Unique build and upgrades. Its not a simple thing to do, but its not that complicated for someone who has built "custom" cars before. Custom meaning "some fabrication", not bolt on parts. I will say an ERA does have the edge a bit on build instructions and quality bit, but you need to buy the right bits from ERA directly if you want everything to come out seamlessly the first time. If not, you are right back to figuring it out yourself, some fabrication, and hunting for the right bits and parts just as you were on your Unique. Some times things do not fit exactly, especially when there has been change of owners and one person customized the original build maybe in a different way than what Unique originally provided in their deluxe pallet kit. This happens too when multiple people work on a car and make little tweaks here and there.

quote: "That is where I was, I scoured that aisle, nothing like that at all. I picked up some stainless theft proof license plate fasteners at Advance Auto, but I like yours much better, looks more finished!"

Question:
Comparing Apples-to-Apples with ERA and your example of onsite customer service, did you take your car to Unique with the parts they sold you and give them a first hand chance to look at it and fix it? Or was all of this done over the phone to try and resolve it?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOne View Post
Maurice, at Unique, is building a new set of headers for my car now. He insisted that I send him the current set as a jig, so that they will be correct. These are custom cars and the only way to know if a part will match up is to have the car there while building exhaust parts. Unique has always built a quality product and I am happy to do business with them.

Justin
I cant comment to this because this is apples and oranges. I had side-pipes made not headers. they never asked me for my old pipes. They assured me there would be no problem because they are made in the jig, except I may have to elongate the hole in the bracket for the frame location.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

David, thank God you didn't have a Factory Five.

John O
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
David, thank God you didn't have a Factory Five.

John O
They are not my bag, except the MKIV was a needed improvement. I have heard pretty good things about them. A lot of people I have met on Cobra events own them and seem to be happy enough. I actually have heard good things about the customer service.
No personal experience though...I'm afraid to ask
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

David,
Without having to re-read two different threads on two different sites, were you finally able to get the side pipes to work, or did you have to buy a whole new set to make them work? What was involved to fix it in the end?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

holy crap, if i threw a hissy fit everytime i bought a part that didn't fit or perform as i thought it should i would be in a funny farm....
how many times have any of you had to modify something that was supposedly a bolt on.
and then f'ed it up modifying it, having to buy it again......now if everything came with a material cert and a certificate of compliance it all would be cume-bye ya

dave, your being pig headed.....really.....the world is an imperfect place
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

The real point of owning these cars is for fun........all the different parts of ownership, including coming up with your own "Unique" solutions to problems . These , as far as I have ever percieved , are the little stamps of personal ownership that we all put on our cars.
You......, us, all.....should be happy that there is a Cobra "kit" world out there affording all of us the chance to be able to drive such a supercar at all.......
Quit *****ing and get on with the joys of ownership......
If you want a car that you can go to Pep boys and buy parts for, buy a Hyundai......
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
David,
Without having to re-read two different threads on two different sites, were you finally able to get the side pipes to work, or did you have to buy a whole new set to make them work? What was involved to fix it in the end?
Yes Duane, they are reworked now so they will fit any Unique Cobra. Take a look at the pics. No I absolutely did not buy another set of pipes for 680.00 plus shipping. What I did is in this thread and over on the Unique forum. i really don't feel like typing it all over again. i did provide a link. Take a look.
Dave
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Look guys,
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and that is what makes the world go round.
Bottom line is, we let them get away with it and they do, period. You're right, if we have such low expectations and want to pay premium bucks for badly made junk parts, we deserve what we get. I will stop crying now.
It is guys like me who speak up and try to hold people to some sort of standard that make a difference in the world. If some people choose to be sheep, so be it.
FYI: I have received PMs from people on here just like on the Unique Forum agreeing with me and have had some of the same experiences, some even worse.
As I said before, most won't post online for the obvious reasons.
Also as I said before, I just wanted to post my experience to help others. This stupid debate is over for me.
I am going out to shop for my Hyundai

Moderators, can you close this thread or tell me how to do it? I don't think it is productive at this point.
Thanks...Dave
mln385 and Wbulk like this.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Look guys,
Everybody is entitled to their opinion,

To this I agree 110%. I loved my Cobra. The car was wonderful. The roller was impeccable. The Roush fuel injected engine at 6000' not so much. I could have done a lot more with it, but my wife didn't like (engine running or not) it so I got the engine going and switched to something else she did. Peace and Harmony reign.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona Coupe, 347, 545 FWHP T56 6-Speed.
Not Ranked     

Call Shell Valley sometime. Unique would be great after you try to talk to them!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Look guys,

Moderators, can you close this thread or tell me how to do it? I don't think it is productive at this point.
Thanks...Dave
Done... and it wasn't really productive from the gitgo.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Closed Thread