LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default MadMaxx Car buying tips

Hey guys just some car buying tips.

1) Ensure that the person you are buying a car off of owns the car. Note, possession does not equal ownership!!!!!!!!!
2) Over 50% of the Cobra's I look at are not owned by the individual selling them. The individual selling the car should have a clear TITLE in THEIR name. Not the previous owner, not a brother in law, Not a dentist but their fuking name.
3) The registration should be current in THEIR name. Not the previous owner, not a brother in-law, not a dentist but in their fuking name.
4) If buying through a dealer there has to be a paperwork trail. A bill of sale signed by the original owner transfering ownerhship to the dealer. Then the dealer can transfer to you. If not than the dealer dont own the fuking car to sell to you. If buying through a dealer they manage the paper work. There has to be continuity.
5) Dont get all wet between your legs and buy a car and sort the title later. You have nothing at that point but less money. Ensure the title can be legally transferred to your name without issues BEFORE YOU BUY THE CAR or you have nothing.

6) After you buy the car get it titled in your name or you don't own the fuking car!!!!!!!!!! and it is worthless to you. I know little boys you dont want to pay the taxes. To fuking bad, dont buy the car then. You will pay the taxes before you can legally sale the car to someone else or you dont own it to sale.

I feel much better now. By the way all the states are connected now and when they run a vin number they have other states info and can see who was the last person that owns the car and when it was registration was current. If there is an expired registration then there better be bill of sales with signatures for a paper trail.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

So, I should probably make sure the car is in the dudes name.

LOL

Tell us the story behind this pending tale of woow with a car NOT in the dudes name.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

What do you have against dentists? Full disclosure: I am not a dentist.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

MadMaxx is certainly mad! Agree with Trularin. There's more of a story here.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LOL!! I feel better now.

Yes in a nutshell make sure the car you are buying (Cobra or not) is in the guys name who you are giving money too!!!!

Cobra's are titled so many different ways, state laws, and throw in 50% are not titled to the person selling them and you are lost in space.

I had a guy that called me who bought one of my previous Cobra's. He wanted me to sign his application for title. I told him I sold that car years ago. Turns out it was still in my name.

Last owner never transferred the title. I told him if he doesnt return my car asap I am reporting it stolen since I own it!!!! After alot of his stuttering I told him to send the paperwork and $1K and I will sign it. Education is not cheap.

Last edited by madmaxx; 06-17-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

You might want to be careful signing anything on that. You have no idea what has been done in that car since you sold it. You might just be signing your way into a issues (I.E, unpaid tickets, accidents, ect.). Unless you put the actual date that you sold it years ago.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Ditto about concerns that tcrist mentioned. Seems like you would become liable for anything involving your car in that time it was out of your possession, including tickets, taxes, etc..
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good advice!!!!! Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Yep... sold a Vette to a dealer. Dealer put a dealer plate on it and drove it for a year, racking up parking tickets all around Chicago area. Police dept issuing the tickets didn't care... parking tickets landed on my credit report.

Last edited by scottj; 06-17-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Madmaxx,

Dont know how they do it where you live, but, good ol CA has a "release of liability" form attatched to the owners cert/ title that you fill out, make a copy for your records and turn in the the DMV.

Something like that could really cover your backside in cases like this.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

The system we have here in South Australia sounds better.
When you sell a car you both have to send in the change of owner detail. So if the new owner doesn't send it in. He's in trouble, but at least it's out of your hands. It has the time and date you sold it, so any tickets will go to the new owner.
JD
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What a nice beginning to a story.

Max is put in prison for a car chase and death he had nothing to do with. He gets out and is on a man hunt for the real villian. Sex drugs and rock&roll, not necessarily in that order.

A true story!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
What a nice beginning to a story.

Max is put in prison for a car chase and death he had nothing to do with. He gets out and is on a man hunt for the real villian. Sex drugs and rock&roll, not necessarily in that order.

A true story!
He discovers that the villain has one arm and may actually be his long lost father, but all the paperwork has been doctored and forged so it will be complicated finding him and squaring "The Maxx Name". He enlists the help of his two friends, H.S. Thompson and Warren Zevon and the man hunt ensues....

Couldn't resist!...
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A vivid chase scene with a 1965 cobra and an Audi run through Paris where the RPM never goes below 3000 and they never stop for a sign or light. The villian in the Audi drives off a pier into deep water and swims into the night.

Mean while, in another section fo the city, four men plan to use the Maxx name in another car scam with Zevon.

Details to follow.

Catch!

Tru
Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not Sure
Not Ranked     

Hi all,
This is a list I compiled to use as I searched for my Cobra. Well I do have a two page document that I would like to share but does anyone know why I always have such a hard time uploading to this site. I make sure it is the correct format, size etc. and I still get failed to upload. and it does not matter if it is a jpg, doc or pdf.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
A vivid chase scene with a 1965 cobra and an Audi run through Paris where the RPM never goes below 3000 and they never stop for a sign or light. The villian in the Audi drives off a pier into deep water and swims into the night.

Mean while, in another section fo the city, four men plan to use the Maxx name in another car scam with Zevon.

Details to follow.

Catch!

Tru
The sun is just rising over the city. A long night and the Cobra is hot and almost out of gas. Maxx and Thompson sit on the side of the road to sleep. They awake to look over the river Siene and the sunrise. Thompson has a gun and a bottle of scotch in his lap.
MAXX: "Where is Zevon?"
THOMPSON "There was no room in the car for him, remember? Besides, we can't trust him anyways. He knows where our guy is. I'm hungry, do you like Eggs Benedict?"
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ROFLMAO!!! and I thought I needed counseling. It must be true that your environment shapes you and with you guys around I am only going to deteriorate further!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefgmann View Post
Hi all,
This is a list I compiled to use as I searched for my Cobra. Well I do have a two page document that I would like to share but does anyone know why I always have such a hard time uploading to this site. I make sure it is the correct format, size etc. and I still get failed to upload. and it does not matter if it is a jpg, doc or pdf.
Check the sizes of the files again. If that fails, check with Computerworks. Someone here will help. Look forward to seeing your checklist.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
ROFLMAO!!! and I thought I needed counseling. It must be true that your environment shapes you and with you guys around I am only going to deteriorate further!!!!
Tru,
I believe you are up.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Hey guys just some car buying tips.

1) Ensure that the person you are buying a car off of owns the car. Note, possession does not equal ownership!!!!!!!!!
2) Over 50% of the Cobra's I look at are not owned by the individual selling them. The individual selling the car should have a clear TITLE in THEIR name. Not the previous owner, not a brother in law, Not a dentist but their fuking name.
3) The registration should be current in THEIR name. Not the previous owner, not a brother in-law, not a dentist but in their fuking name.
4) If buying through a dealer there has to be a paperwork trail. A bill of sale signed by the original owner transfering ownerhship to the dealer. Then the dealer can transfer to you. If not than the dealer dont own the fuking car to sell to you. If buying through a dealer they manage the paper work. There has to be continuity.
5) Dont get all wet between your legs and buy a car and sort the title later. You have nothing at that point but less money. Ensure the title can be legally transferred to your name without issues BEFORE YOU BUY THE CAR or you have nothing.

6) After you buy the car get it titled in your name or you don't own the fuking car!!!!!!!!!! and it is worthless to you. I know little boys you dont want to pay the taxes. To fuking bad, dont buy the car then. You will pay the taxes before you can legally sale the car to someone else or you dont own it to sale.

I feel much better now. By the way all the states are connected now and when they run a vin number they have other states info and can see who was the last person that owns the car and when it was registration was current. If there is an expired registration then there better be bill of sales with signatures for a paper trail.
Had this happen to me. Drove 18 hours to pick up the car the guy swore was in his name. I go there and it was in some guys name 1 or 2 owners before. I wouldn't touch it. They got it fixed before I left.