23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2001, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Spinner Removal Tool

does anyone have any experience with Finish Lines spinner removal tool that they advertise in their web page catalogue?

don't mind paying the money if it works well and eliminates my beating on the spinner with a lead hammer.

thanks
Old 12-14-2001, 11:10 AM
BLACKJACK
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default SPINNER REMOVER

HELLO GORDON,

I'VE NEVER USED THE "SPINNER TOOL" BUT IF IT COMES FROM ENZO & PAULA IT'S SURE TO BE AS ADVERTISED OR BETTER.

THAT TOOL IS ON MY LIST FOR MY NEXT ORDER.

BLACKJACK
Old 12-14-2001, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The spinner tool is similar to one used in the cobra pits, back in the 'olden days'. It works well, but takes a killer torque wrench (300-350 ft-lbs). Torque wrench is available at harbor freight, but only torques in one direction, so you have to acquire a feel for the left hand threads, or cough up for a more elegant wrench.

BigMike
Old 12-14-2001, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance '533'
Not Ranked     

Gordon,

I have the tool. Works great ---------- after you get the spinners off the first time! I had to use a 4' piece of pipe in conjunction with the tool the first time (torquing the spinners with a lead hammer is an art, not a science).
Old 12-14-2001, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chad

did you attach the 4' piece of pipe to a torque wrench? not having yet tried to remove my spinners, i'm trying to do this in a way that is the least frustrating...i did get a lead hammer when i got the car, but have been hesitant about beating on the spinner to this point.

thanks
Old 12-14-2001, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance '533'
Not Ranked     

Gordon I bought the tool because of the deep offset on my 17" wheels. Figured I would do a lot less damage with the tool and have not been sorry I made the investment. If you do a search here about wheel removal you will read about all kinds of horror stories about shredded hammers, broken spinners etc.

I got my tool from Finish Line and assume it is the same as the one you are looking at. There is no socket or other fitting to use a torque wrench on. The tool is round and machined out of a billet of aluminum with three indents for the spinner arms on one end. On the end opposite the indents there is a hole to put a bar through. In my case I cut the end off a 24" break bar as I originally thought that would give me enough leverage to remove the spinners.

Not even close! I then went and bought the pipe that fit over the break bar for more leverage. Get this----- as I was trying to loosen the spinners with my car on my painted garage floor, the tire was slipping on the painted surface (no, the car wasn't on any jacks ------ and this was the front wheel and I have a big block!)

I had to roll the car into the drive way where there was enough friction between the tire and concrete to break the spinner loose (probably would have been easier with someone to hold the brake on). Remember, the spinners come off in the direction the wheels turn when the car is moving forward (right side - clockwise; left side counter clockwise).

Probably not a very good explanation and unfortunately I don't have a good picture. I used plenty of never sieze when I remounted the wheels and tightened using only the break bar. The spinners are safety wired and have never loosened any so they must be tight enough (thus my comment about using a lead hammer being an art versus a science).

Last edited by Chad Johnson; 12-14-2001 at 07:21 PM..
Old 12-15-2001, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Chad...your explanation of your first removal will hopefully not be repeated by me,but who knows.

i'm planning to call Enzo today or monday...a little christmas present for myself!!
Old 12-18-2001, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default tight...

but it keeps your wheels on at 140 plus.................
Old 12-18-2001, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

not many opportunities to do 140 in MA, but 70-80 in the twisties of the berkshires in western MA is a lot of fun.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

I finally broke down and ordered one of these tools from FinishLine. I must compliment Enzo and Paula; I ordered it Wednesday and it arrived here on Friday. The thing is a work of art and works as well. Nice job, Enzo and Paula.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

chopper:

thanks for the comeback about Finish Line's spinner remover...haven't taken the time to order one yet, but i will in the next couple of days
Old 12-31-2001, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Cool Putting a Spin on the Spinner

I could not resist going back in time to my spinner woes:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...light=Spinners

And I thought I would ppost a pic of the tools of the trade. Notice the condition of my 6 lb Enzo hammer. Had to have it re-cast by the manufacturer.

What an experience!!!

Zderf
Old 01-01-2002, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zderf:

are you sure that you only used that lead hammer to try to remove your spinners!?

thanks for the pics.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:20 PM
BLACKJACK
Visit my Photo Gallery

Talking WOW!!!!

HEY ZDERF,

FROM THE APPEARANCE OF THAT HAMMER IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE GONE INTO THE WATCH REPAIR BUSINESS PART TIME.

IT VAGUELY RESEMBLES THE ONE I USE TO "ADJUST" MY COMPUTERS.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY AND A WONDERFUL & SAFE NEW YEAR.

BLACKJACK
Old 01-01-2002, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Losing weight the hard way

Funny this thread should show up today. I am getting my car ready to go to the track this weekend. I hope.

Thought it would be a good idea to take off the tires and check the brakes, shocks, springs, etc. Long story short; I had to hit the spinners so hard I thought for sure something was going to break. Worked up a good sweat and probably turned my 5lb hammer into a 4 pounder. I decided to abide by one of Murphy's Laws of Shade Tree Mechanics; If it is stuck, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Thankfully they all came off with no parts broken. Except the pieces of lead that flew off the hammer from time to time. In all honesty I probably would have had to take the car to a shop if I was not the size I am. I hope I never have to hit anything on that car that hard again.

I had used Never Seize the last time I put the tires back on and I think it was the graphite that saved me. No galling on the spinners or the rims. I think they just got very tight at the track and tighter still after cooling down. I think in the future I will loosen and re-tighten them after I am done at the track. I noticed a lot of the Never Seize was gone, again I think that is heat related.

I am curious about using the spinner tool for tightening. I am very comfortable tightening the spinners with the hammer as I can feel and see when they are good and tight. They only get tighter as you run them I believe. The tool seems best used for removal. I especially noted the remark by Chad that using a hammer on the deep 17s is hard to do. Heck it is even difficult with the 15s on the rear. Hard to get a direct downward blow when the spinnner is so far inside the rim. Anyway, I hope they have enough of those tools for all of us since I am ordering mine too.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1231 428 FE
Not Ranked     

So what is everyone using for anti-sieze compound on the spinners? I have just been using bearing grease. If we use safety wire on the spinner is it necessary to really "Whack" the spinner or is a firm "Tap" sufficient?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Trans-Am Jim
Not Ranked     

Nickel-based anti-seize. Copious amount on both sets of threads and mating surfaces.

About the spinner, I whack it real hard, then once more for the 'ell of it.

I usually leave the safety wire with a slight sag in it, i.e., not really snug. Then I check every couple of days, and if I find a wire that's taut, I whack the spinner hard again.