Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Customs of California

After a discussion with Gene @ Classic Roadsters, he suggested I post my dealings with Jerry Zavada on this forum.

Essentially, Mr. Zavada, a factory recommended supplier, sold me suspension Cobra parts which would 'put me in the high end.'

The Aldan shocks would require the tower on the frame to be cut and re-welded, along with the lower control arms. The uppers, although they could fit to be bolted, would not allow any adjustment.

I could go on about other specifics, but let me get to the one single item which torqued me.... the rear end he sold me, as one machine shop I took it to stated, would make one of the most interesting boat anchors. The rear end shop thought the splines must have been cut by a dremel tool and it looked like it had seen more miles than most cars at the junk yard.

I have asked for my money to be returned, he has refused.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I try not to recommend anyone to anyone else unless i have personally had a top job done. That goes for all trades not just automotive.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 02-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry

To follow up on the latest dealings, I offered to Jerry Zavada to reduce the amount I had paid him by $500.00 (for two cars, thus $1,000.00) and I would return ALL parts which he had supplied up to this point (he still has not provided them all for either cars since accepting money in July) so that I could be done with it......

he refused, and countered for what I thought was unreasonble settlement, and agreed that I should have my attorney contact him rather than go to arbitration as his purchase agreement suggested....

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or leverage... I am all ears...

I can't believe this

he thought my first post was a 'cheap shot'...... well, I guess I am the unreasonable one? I

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 04-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

what does it mean when a certified letter is returned?

RATS!

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
J.T.

Just where is Customs of California located ? As for the returned certified letter there should have been a reason it was returned included with the letter. There seems to be a lot of this type stuff going around any more. I hope that you can get everything straightened out soon.

Best of luck,

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merced, CA

the letter was stamped with an "unclaimed"

thanks for the support

Old 05-07-2003, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Unclaimed means that he refused to receive the letter. You might have your lawyer contact a lawyer in Merced. Going to be expensive...

Come to think of it, that Zavada fella might be the guy who sold me my (now broken and unworking) steering column a number of years ago. At the time he was setting himself up as a distributor for Street Beasts (something I learned after sending him some money). I don't remember the fellas name, but Merced CA sounds familiar.

Best of luck, if nothing else the State Atty Gen. should probably be informed of this fella's business "practices".

Who is John Galt?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OOOFFF!!

I have heard sbout being involved with the 'street beast' from another source. If I knew then what I know now....

well I at least I can now know which tree this apple fell from and consider how much to invest in losses and by which course.

Thank you.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never saw this post until way too late. I guess I'm gonna need an attorney. Any recommendations?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't get an attorney at this point if it was me. I'd simply sue him in small claims court. No doubt he has a "good" contract so you will need proof\evidence from another reputable mechanic\shop with good credentials clearly stating their opinion. Also receipts for replacement items you would have to or have pruchased to correct the problem.

,,,,like I'm a lawyer, NOT!!! But I DO know this: I have sued in small claims court a number of times and won my case. It's all about NOT exagerating your claim, telling the truth 100% and having DOCUMENTATION to back your claim and your statements.

The Sherrif will serve him the paper work. Pretty cheap to file actually, just takes time to go to court. Not sure about Calif. but most states REQUIRE you to meet with a "mediator" at the last minute before proceeding to court. There will be a mediator there ready to hear both sides and help you guys come to an agreement. If not, the Judge will "mediate". I have found judges to be (in general) to be fair to both parties. It is not some "big deal" in small claims court. You say your part, he says his part, the judge asks a few questions. He figures out who's lying (there REALLY good at that part) and makes a ruling. No big deal.

Sue 'em!

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-08-2003 at 09:15 PM..
Old 09-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you have mail

Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just figured I'd update this post. I'm out about $17K for Jerry's "Work" . Small Claims won't handle that. I'm now working with an Attorney and hoping for the best.

I really caution anyone from doing business with him. Make sure you check ALL the work, every time he touches it.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Classic Roadsters of old did use Customs of California as a recommended supplier. After hearing from a few CR customers that have very unsatisfactory dealings with them and talking to Jay @ Classics by Elite I will take them off our list and have no further contact. Unfortunately I think the old company was closed and a new one has popped up. I will take steps to assure my customers deal with reputable companies so this never happens again.
Don