Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2003, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question shelby dealers?

Hi... i'm new here...great site! I've already picked up a lot of valuable information..thank you all.

I'm interested in buying a CSX4000, and having it equipped with a 427. I'm doing my homework now on dealers, and hope to make my purchase in the spring/summer '04 ballpark. can anyone give me info on the dealers for these cars? going from the dealer locator on shelbyamerican's website, there's one in driving range to me, called allpro motorsports in Muncy, PA. Does anyone have any experience with this shop? I guess it's not necessary that the dealer be local, but it would be good to give a relatively local guy the business.

still, though, this is a MAJOR investment, so i want to do the homework. this will probably mean making some trips in the next few months (hey, there's even one a VEGAS!).

any information/experience you could impart woul be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Tom
Old 11-11-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4285, Shelby aluminum block 427, 40th Anniversary Model # 5
Not Ranked     
Default CSX Dealers

Tom--

I was where you're at about two years ago.

When I narrowed it down to a Shelby, I got on the phone a talked to Bob Marsh (Tom Peterson would do well also), both at Shelby.
I asked Bob your exact question--which dealer. I was torn between Finishline in Vegas and XK's in San Louis. I went for the dearler that was close to me and relied on the Shelby tie. I did visit both dealers, and was happy with my decision.

Go visit, talk to Shelby (Bob or Tom) and make the decision. The most important thing to me was to have a dealer do the whole thing--that way, when (not if) things happen, it's ONE phone call to take care of business.

Drop me a line if you want more info.

Mark
Old 11-11-2003, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Default Tom....

..sounds like you're arriving onn the scene at precisely the right time! www.newportshelbycobras.com has an ad in the November R & T (p. 162) shows a "Fully assembled, painted roller, less drivetrain" for $42,500! A BUNCH of people on this site can connect you with the right builder, engine, clutch and tranny for this car. I am willing to bet that you can be driving your CSX 4000 427 for less than $65K---a lot different than Shelby's selling price a few years back!!! Good luck.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

I would contact Jim from the Reno dealership, his e-mail is tahoedonzi@aol.com

Allan
Old 11-11-2003, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Tom,

I went with www.newportshelbycobras.com to build my CSX Cobra. They did an excellent job on my car. My car has appeared in the Shelby display at several of the west coast events. Good luck to you.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Bill Andrews at HRE Motorcars in Freeport, New York (on Long Island) has an excellent reputation. Worthwile to talk to him @ 5-6-378-5461. Or you could just buy mine which is for Sale and not have to wait. It is in the For Sale section on this website.

Stu
Old 11-12-2003, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

stu,

thanks, I'll give Bill a call. looks like he's more or less drivable to visit too. Do you know what his facility is like? does he have a showroom at all, or is it strictly a workshop (nothing wrong with that, but i'm wondering if i might have to chance to sit in one, look over a finished product, etc, if i go there)? As for buying yours, i'm hoping to get a new csx4000, and slip out the door for 60-65K ballpark, and i need to wait until the spring to put it together (have a 2002 Fatboy, and a 1980 'vette to sell in the meantime). Your car is incredible, but i think it's a hair out of my range.

thanks again, and any more info anyone might have would be great!

Tom
Old 11-12-2003, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Tom-

Bill Andrews has an immaculate shop filled with gorgeous cars, and has been quite helpful to me. Came very highly recommended by Bob Marsh at SAI.

If you want to have your roller for Spring though, you may want to think about ordering now.

-JT
Old 11-12-2003, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Bills place(HRE Motorcars) is both his shop and showroom but not your showroom in the true sense of the word. There are usually 7 to 10 cars in various states of completion as well as those there for some routine maintenance. You could eat off the shop floor. The place is immaculate and his cars are done to perfection. Going to his place is well worth it. Sorry about the typo. His area code is 516. As for mine, yes it is slightly above your target range but it is all done and ready to go. I understand that the new ones are selling pretty well and there may be a wait.

Stu
Old 11-12-2003, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Stu/JT

I spoke with Bill today, and made plans to give him a visit this saturday. He seems like a great guy and i'm really looking forward to checking his place out, and picking his brain. I can't thank all of you guys enough for the info you've given me here! I look forward to learning more, getting my cobra, and being able to contribue more to this board.

i'll keep you posted on my progress and Stu - once again - that is a VERY sweet ride you have there...if you still have it come next spring when i have my money all together, and i encounter some long waits, etc on new ones, who knows, i might try to make the stretch. but i'm sure someone will snap it up by then.

good luck!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

tom,
did you see the pm i sent you?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

tddnepa ,
If you are looking to buy a Aluminum CSX4000, you may want to consider mine.
It is CSX4308 and comes with everything except Engine and tranny.

I am seriosuly thinking about getting rid of it.
That is if you DON'T want to wait. Mine is ready to deliver NOW.

TURK
Old 11-13-2003, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Give Bill my regards. You will be impressed and if the weather is halfway decent, there will almost certainly be a gathering of snakes and lookers. Let me know how you make out.

Stu Sherman
Old 11-13-2003, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

i got it NOW... thanks for the heads up. i'm new here and still feeing my way around. i appreciate the info.

turrk - thanks, but i imagine aluminum is gonna be out of my price range. I"m looking to stay 65K or lower all-done. who knows, i may not be able to do a 'glass one for that price, and may have to go ERA or SPF... but i'm hopin' to stay with CS if i can.

stu - will do. i'll put up an update here whe i get back.

thanks again!
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Tom,
I am also impressed with Billy Andrews at HRE. I will try to visit him in the coming weeks to see the operation. It's going to be a fun trip!

I have been to Lee Bensons' shop in Muncie, PA. No showroom yet, but the man knows cobras inside-out and has an incredible array of all things cobra and GT40. He has been building them a VERY long time. Real nice guy too.

Anyway, good luck in your decision.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Tom,
just a follow-up, visited Bill at HRE on Dec. 30. His working shop is immaculate. Great stuff! Real up-front honest cobra dealer. If you pick him to order your cobra will you will not be sorry.

Have fun!