LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to John Place
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Probe 427

WARNING

I am compelled to write this warning, so as to advise everyone about Probe Industries, aka Probe Racing, aka Coast High Performance in Torrance, CA.

I purchased a 427 engine from Probe cost about $9,800.
It was installed into my new GT40 by JC Performance. On dyno testing, the engine showed signs of being seriously defective. The compression ratio was wrong, among other things, and if left unattended would have blown up.

Not such a big deal. Just take out the engine and return it to Probe! Not the case. Probe did their own inspection and found the claims of JC Performance to be correct in that the compression ratio was way too high, among other problems. They refused to replace the engine. They wanted me to use the defective engine with some modifications.

Now which of you is going to install a defective used engine in a vehicle worth about $100,000. The answer is probably no-one.
Probe has no customer service and are experts at concealing their policy and agenda until you make a claim. JC Performance proved to be the sort of experts you need.

I am now forced to litigate as the engine was defective as acknowledged by Probe in writing.
I am convinced that Probe is short for PROBLEM.

John Place
Old 07-24-2004, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: made mine from molds taken off an original, 302/ 351 heads hand made intake drysump oil system, and lots of nitrous.
Send a message via AIM to griffinzein Send a message via Yahoo to griffinzein
Not Ranked     
Default wow

wow thanks man you may have just saved me from a costly mistake. i think i'll just stick to building my own engines. by the way you arent the only guy who has a complaint agains probe.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

TTT. Any body else had problems from these guys? I've been considering a crate motor, but this gives me chills.
Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Empty handed for the moment
Send a message via AIM to Snakecharmer
Not Ranked     

I too have had bad experiences with Probe but the outcome was slightly different.

I ordered a 545, 700 bhp motor from them to stick in my Superformance. Luckily, the plan was for them to ship it directly to the wonderful guys at RPM (Reed Performance Motors and Superformance Dealership) in New Orleans. When the motor arrived, the guys at RPM called and said that the intake was loose and that there were missing galley plugs. They also commented on the engine sounding funny when they got it running. I called Tim at Probe and he said that these things were normal. I took his word for it and picked up the Cobra shortly afterwards.

A few months later, while giving a friend a ride, the motor started making clunking noised and spewing smoke out of the right side pipe. I eased it back home and called Probe. They said to drop the pan and see if there was anything wrong. I did so, and found a small pile of brass in the pan. Probe said to send the motor back and they would inspect and fix the problem. I pulled the motor and called Probe when it was ready to ship. They sent a truck to pick it up at their expense.

It turns out that I had chewed up a rod bearing. They replaced the bottom half of the motor and sent it back to me, at their expense.

I installed the new motor and put another 1500 miles on the car without any problems.

I looked at the whole ordeal as an honest mistake that was fixed to my satisfaction. After all, everyone makes mistakes and, as long as they take responsibility and do the right thing, they deserve a passing grade.

All that being said, I'm not suprised to hear of more problems from them. They seem to have a QA problem.

Best of luck,

Charmer

"A snake in my garage is worth two in your trailer" - me
Old 12-02-2004, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

So what's the difference between them fixing the engine they sent you and giving you a different one. To fix the compression ratio, they will have to replace the pistons, which entails pretty much an entire rebuild of the engine. Shame on them for shipping an engine in that condition in the first place, but you didn't even give them the chance to fix it.

They DO make good pistons, but it seems CHP/Probe has some quality control issues with thier engine builds.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The difference to me is the fact that the bores should be matched to the individual pistons. You don't just punch the holes to one size for set O' pistons or the clearances WILL be skewed. That being said, if they take an engine back and just throw another set of pistons in it, that just shows the lack of care with which their products are assembled on a day to day basis. If I had a 100k car (and I don't) the engine which went into it would be perfect, not a rebuilt rebuild. Any pro builders out there are invited to weigh in on this as well.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to John Place
Not Ranked     
Default Probe 427

It is quite easy to just gloss over - unless you were the one that paid $10,000 for a crate motor that did not work.

Probe admitted in writing it was defective, two other experts stated the problems were severe, not even including the investigation by JC Performance authorised by Probe. This was not a case of exchanging a bearing or other part.
This is ONE YEAR later, the credit card company investigated and returned their funds. A lawsuit was filed for the deposit and amount authorised for JC Perf, and now Probe have agreed to reimburse about 75%. We have accepted to end this matter.

Add on having a vehicle in limbo for nearly a year etc etc with other costs way higher than necessary due to this fiasco.

A Ford Racing crate motor was fitted in my other car and ran great.

John.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: made mine from molds taken off an original, 302/ 351 heads hand made intake drysump oil system, and lots of nitrous.
Not Ranked     

ford racing crate you say? i love my ford racing engine, part number M-6010-R452* i got just the block, with some titanium rods and aluminum temp coated pistons. it spins up to 85000 rpms and stays togethre greatly. i love it.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

85,000 RPMS???????? What is it...an electric motor?

http://www.rehobothproperties.com/coupe.htm
Old 12-02-2004, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

no, its a 351, but it has a forged crank titanium H beam conrods and aluminum temp coated pistons. basically all the internals are as light as they can be and i have a modified oiling system, and nothin dragin my motor down cept for the alternator. the block is a nascar type block, and its destroked to a 302. and yes there is some electricity involved, i got an electric water pump.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Uh, now I'm lost. Why would anyone destroke a 351 to 302? Certainly not for lightness of internals!? And Rob was just yankin' your crank. "85000 rpms", where'd you get the tach to read that puppy? We know that was just a typo so some one had to jump on it. Now back to the "destroking".................................?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah it was supposed to be 8500, any way. I destroked it to decreas reciprocation. shorter stroke throws less weight. in a nutshell i did it for the rpms. I made up for the airflow loss by addin a turbo.and believe it or not, im making 486hp w/ 491ft/lbs with a low lift long duration cam (to lessen the chance of valve float) its more of a novelty engine than anything. what i would really love to do is take a 460 punch it out to some where near 500 and get it to rev up to 9 grand flat, and have it live there, an dlive well. yes its jsut a dream but hey i guy has to have dreams right?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Cool

Whoof.

Takin looong tokes on that bone, aren't we?

Old 12-03-2004, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ummm its a bong, and no i just have dreams, really big ones lol. i love the destroker, but i want bigger kick than it has. its doin all it can to produce the power it has, and only does it because its turbocharged. i dont wanna go through that headache again. a blow through set up is hard as heck to tune.