21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-26-2004, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 289 Slabside
Not Ranked     
Default JCF - John's Custom Fabrication

If you're thinking about getting a JCF Cobra replica, ask me about my build first. Contact me by email.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: (building) - Hunter #74 w/ 302 small block (320hp under the hood). . . how many wires are there in a wiring harness?
Send a message via AIM to S_Beaudry
Not Ranked     

Too much suspense . . . .

Tell us here on the forum . . . Please!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Beaudry

Too much suspense . . . .

Tell us here on the forum . . . Please!
It wasn't positive. I prefer to have a direct conversation with anyone who is contemplating having John build them a Cobra replica, than try to describe my experience here - it's a long story.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

So now that the car is done, what do you think about the car itself?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by decooney

So now that the car is done, what do you think about the car itself?
My purpose is to have no one else suffer my experience. It may not be possible. But, forewarned is forearmed. Because the physical product is only one element of the whole process, to comment about it distracts from my point.

Bearing the foregoing in mind, the answer to your question is: In time, I’ll make it right
Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Alan,
My good friend has a JCF 289 slabside from John, and its a nice car. There were no problems with the transaction or obtaining it. I almost bought one myself a while back... and I still might in the future. That is why I asked.

Note: When you post an open ended statement on ClubCobra about a particular car, company, or person that people know, expect questions from members; or don't post.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

I agree with decooney. Why not post about your experience once, rather than write several long explanations to people who email you directly? That's the purpose of this forum, and it also gives the vender a chance to respond with his version. As long as all parties remain civil, a discussion of customer/vender problems can perhaps be helpful to both parties as well as informative to other members. Slamming a vender via email is unfair, to say the least, unless you are just trying to damage his reputation and discourage future customers. If you wish to alert members to your situation to assist them, do so in the proper manner.

Bumpster
Old 10-28-2004, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I'd like to hear the story myself. I have thought about JCF for my next car also. I spoke to Duanes' friend and talked to a local guy who has a JCF. Even went to see JCF in person. Most of the negatives I heard centered around his lack of timeliness. What's the story?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't slammed anybody. It's not relevant to post my experience to the Cobra world at large. I'm offering to discuss, with anyone considering engaging JCF for a Cobra, the issues I had. This is a point of view someone can consider before commiting to a build, and information, shouls they decide to have John build them a car that will most likely assist in creating a better build agreement.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Alan, in fact you have slammed JCF by stating your experience was negative. Give up the story or don't post. It isn't fair to JCF to have negative information e-mailed to potential customers without a chance to view both sides of the story. We don't know who you are and to come on and post as you did doesn't show any credibility on your part. I'm sure JCF would appreciate an explanation also. Hard to defend yourself without the knowledge of the problem.
Don
Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the contrary, I prefer to have a direct (telephonic) conversation with any potential client of John’s just so discretion is maintained. Already, assumptions have been drawn from what I have said. I did not say the experience was negative. Unfortunately, the description I used did not foreclose on inference. But, that’s a great example of why I won’t reduce it to text here. My experience only serves someone who is seriously contemplating a JCF build.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re-reading some of the foregoing posts, I can see that there is a valid point to be made for me to provide at least a summary of my experience.

The stated build time when I placed my deposit was five months. Actual was 23!
Progress payments were made based on misrepresented reports of the state of completion.
On turns, the rotors on the outside wheels made contact with the lower suspension arms.
The car was delivered with a malfunctioning transmission. When it was removed, it wasn’t fresh fluid that drained out. The cost for the transmission in my proposal was reflective of a new, or at least newly-rebuilt transmission. The replacement, that was sent, was an incorrect model, which was used, and had moisture inside it. At 600 miles the rear-end center section had to be rebuilt ($1200)!

Like I said . . .a summary.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not the only one...

If you are thinking of buying from JCF you need to talk to Alan. There is a lot more to his story that will aid you in dealing with John. I can validate, first hand, the things that Alan will point out because I went to JFC a number of times for Alan (and myself) to check on the progress of our cars; I ordered a slabside from JCF in Aug 2002 and am still waiting with no delivery date in site.

My background can be searched on this site about my involvement with JCF, but short and to the point: If you are considering ordering a Cobra from JCF, based upon both my and Alan's experience, there are things that you must consider and address to make the transaction work to everyones satisfaction.

Email me, if you'd like: Mike48@saber.net

Last edited by Mike48; 10-29-2004 at 11:29 PM..
Old 10-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Alan - Thank you for reconsidering your position. Your problems were brief and to the point, and I, for one, appreciate that. Also, in my opinion, they are serious enough to be posted here to be considered by future customers of JCF. Any issues concerning safety and/or quality of builds and parts is should be brought up on open forum. Well done.

Now it is for JCF to respond to these issues if they care to.

Timeliness is probably something most replica owners have had a problem with when having their car built. I know I have. The delay you had does seem rather extreme, however. Sometimes you have to wonder if the professional who is building you car has no idea of how long it will really take, just how much does he actually know about building it?

Bumpster
Old 10-30-2004, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Four years ago,I dealt with John also.
He sold me a 427 Sideoiler, I traded him a brand new 502 crate motor still in the crate.
What he sold me turned out to be something different than what he represented.
It took me every bit of a year to give him his engine back and get mine back as well as my money.
It finally hapened, but it was like pulling teeth.
Seems to be a likable fellow. Very personable and friendly.

However based on what I went through, I decided not to do what I was about to. Have him build me a car!!

I had enough letters and phone calls to run a small municipality before I was made whole again..

Buyer beware!
Old 10-30-2004, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lets hear it...

A number of people on this site have said that they know someone who owns a JCF car and that they had no problems with their car or getting it. I, personally have seen only two completed cars and know of three others; John says he has built about 90.

How about some of the people who actually own JCF cars step up and tell their stories. If mine, Alans and Turks problems are the exceptions, lets hear their stories for balance.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jcf 351w
Not Ranked     

Mike, do you own a jcf cobra, I see no pictures.If so what problems have you had?I'm having one built as we speak.What part of Nor.Cal are you?Mike
Old 11-04-2004, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike...how about emailing me at , I'll give you a phone number and we can talk.

No JCF bashing going on here, folks, just an honest and fair exchange between two people involved with the same company.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RE: "Bush Wins"

Religion, sexual preference and politics...keep 'em to yourself.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jcf 351w
Not Ranked     

I am presently having a car built by John.I should be getting it within the month.It's been along process, some fun ,some stressfull.It's taken 3 years to see my car almost done.There's been times I wanted to stop the whole thing, and times I've been totally thrilled.I still like John and Mike, there both nice folks.There trustworthy, just sloooooooow.But I have worked for small companys before and they seem to all run the same.You can't turn down work, you have to make the house payment.So I guess you tell people what they want to hear.Would I do it again?I'll tell you after I get my car. Stay tuned.