Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2001, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question A&C or F5 or B&B???

Hi, All,

I am just diving into this snake pit and have narrowed down my search for a kit (in the not-to-near future) to A&C or Factory 5, both or whom I have spoken with, or perhaps B&B. I have read some feedback here on F5; I wonder what type of experiences anyone has had with the other two? I am particularly curious about the gel-coat coloring that A&C offers.

I am also still weighing the single-donor concept; any ideas beyond the obvious pros and cons is appreciated.

Thanks much for all ideas,
Old 05-02-2001, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I am almost finished with my A & C. Build site is at
http://www.priveye.com/cobra.htm.

I considered several companies, including the ones you mention, but chose A & C for several reasons; mainly the quality of the body and gelcoat.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Roscoe
Old 05-02-2001, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Thanx

Roscoe,

Thanks. I rarely see A&C referred to on the various Cobra websites; it's nice to hear from a satisfied customer. Sonny was extremely helpful when I spoke with him some time ago.

Best wishes for the remainder of your build,

Scott
Old 05-03-2001, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 Seat Roadster-by B&B, 460+ w/auto.
Not Ranked     
Hey Scott. Go up to Carlisle in a couple of weeks and compare several of the manufacturers. I don't mean to be bragging, but you can also see some of my handiwork.

Ron
Old 06-25-2001, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb A&C or F5

You really should take the time to visit the factories if you can. If not, talk to others who have assembled the various kits. I personally did not care for F5's responsiveness. I e-mailed and called (twice) for literature over a month ago and have yet to receive it. I also had some concern with their body finish, lack of liner panels, and skimpy structural supports. Their frames, however, appear excellent.

After a phone call to A&C, I visited Sonny at their plant. I saw a gel coat car in red and got a feel for their operation. I also saw other frames and bodies in various stages of production. I also received references in my area and called these guys, who seem happy with their purchase. I am scheduled to meet with them soon. I like the flexibility A&C offers in their components.

Obviously you will come to your own conclusions. Do what feels right for you.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     
Default A&C or F5

Scott,

I saw one complete and one nearly complete A&C car with the gelcoat finish (color built in). I spoke with several other A&C owners as well. All are very satisfied with A&C and their products. The gelcoat is EXCELLENT. My check is in the mail to A&C. I expect my chassis and parts by month end. The only drawback is, I have to wait untill year end for a gel coat body. "Painter" bodies are available much sooner. Patience is a virtue. Plus, this way I have plenty of time to get the chassis and motor right. E-mail me if I can help further.

wadesdad@hotmail.com
Old 08-08-2001, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to plumbcrazy1
Not Ranked     
Default A & C, FFR or B & B

Scott,

I will be happy to give you my opinion on 2 of the companies that you are asking about...A & C and B & B as my husband and I each have one of thier cars. I'll start with the B&B as it was the first we purchased. At the time the were known as LA Exotics. ( Same company, different name) In 1993 my husband ordered his car and we were thrilled.There are good and bad points. They were very prompt, which is important. The body sits lower on the frame than an A & C and gives the car a very sleek, low profile look. It really does look like it slithers. That is my favorite attribute. The floor of the car ( the foot boxes are also a bit bigger and roomier than that of A & C and the seats sit a little higher so it is a very comfy, roomy ride. The bad points we have come across during/after the build. We didn't recieve the seats we had ordered and 2 years into the build I was still fighting for them. I got a little nasty and finally got them.....There were about 15 colors to choose from. The color he ordered for the gelcoat was a guardsman blue. Upon shipment from CA to PA the car arrived and it was a Miata blue (you know, like a sky blue...) A far cry from Guardsman. Our option was to pay to have the car shipped BACK (after already paying $2000 to have it shipped here...) and they would "fix" it. We didn't have another $2000. It is still Miata blue and will be painted soon to guardsman blue. The wiring harness (painless wiring) was a nightmare! Use ANYTHING but that. And lastly we were very disappointed in the fiberglassing. Areas around the wheel wells were weak, thin and flimsy. We had to do alot of fiberglassing build up to make the body more sound. Now, that all said.....After we did what we needed to do it is a great car. During the build it aquired a nasty scratch on the hood that buffed right out and I do think that now that they are "B & B" they are more reliable with more experience. At Carlisle 2 years ago I looked at thier product for a car for me. It felt stronger and looked as good as my husband's and they offer financing, if you need that. The master mechanic who built my husbands car has an A & C himself . It was the first one we had seen. When I decided to get one of my own I went up to the plant and met Sonny. He was very helpful and Joe took me around and showed me everything. I met all of the guys and was impressed with the workmanship that I saw. The bodies that they had there were impeccable. Thick and solid. You could choose any non-metallic color you wanted and they would match it. Everything that I ordered was ready at pick up except for my interior kit, and that came about 2 weeks later. While the car was being created I called every couple of weeks to check the progress...I'm sure I was a pain in the butt but Joe and Sonny were always very nice. The wiring was easy...all color coated and labeled. Anyway, I have no complaints with my A & C. I would love it to sit lower on the frame like the B & B but each car is different so I'll take mine happily for what it is. I am currently helping the mechanic build one for another client and it is just as beautiful. I chose my color (plumb-why be like everyone else?) from a nail polish and they matched it perfectly. I did like having the ability to chose any color that I wanted. During the build if I needed anything they were right there to help or offer suggestions. I was very pleased and sent a letter to Curt at Cobracountry.com. As far as the fiberglass goes on the A & C the holes cut out for the roll bar and the side pipes are a good 3/4 inch thick (I'll gladly send you a plumb colored piece, if you'd like) the pieces on my husband's are is a 1/2 inch or less for the roll bar area and a good bit less than that where the side pipes were cut. I do not want to sound like we are totally unhappy with the LA Exotic/B & B build....we do love the car and wouldn't trade it now that it's done but it did require some extra work. This was just our experience........ultimately whatever you choose will have it's ups & downs whether it's with the kit itself or just obstacles you run into during the build. In the end you will love your car, whoever makes it, and smile as big as we do.

Dawn