Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     
Question Performance Engineering

I have spoken with Eric @ Performance Engineering on the advice of many c.c. members.
He was very helpfull & listened to what I wanted, He did not try to tell me what I need or try to sell me on what he had as a package, made many good suggestions & is working up a $$ figure for me.

I would like any comments (good or bad, although I suspect there won,t be any bad), offered by his past customers who have purchased engines from Eric.

Thanks Craig
Old 12-18-2004, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have nothing but good things to say about Eric and Performance Engineering. They built my first Cobra engine and they will build my next Cobra engine. I highly recommend their custom engine's. They stand behind their work, period!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roadster, 418W
Not Ranked     

Craig, I just took delivery of a stroked 351W/418 from Eric. Spent quite a bit of time discussing options with him prior to purchase. My purchase required an early block (for emissions) and lots of torque (for me.) Eric provided a '60 block and set everything up for the high altitude of Denver. Pretty knowledgable for a guy down at sea level!

I highly recommend Performance Engineering!

Terry
Old 12-19-2004, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry,
could you provide spec's/timeline from start to delivery & approx $$$$ if that's not being too nosy
Thanks Craig
Old 12-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Craig,

Eric built me a 418 two years ago and is now building me a 427 Dart block Windsor. There's a little more to the story than "I got tired of answering the question: 'What's a 418?'", but the bottom line is I was so happy with the performance of the first motor that we're going to make this motor very similar to the first one, TQ- and HP-wise. You're welcome to discuss my motors with Eric if it's helpful to you.

No doubt there are a lot of good engine builders out there. On the other hand, some recent posts on other threads described problems with some of the other engine builders not keeping their customers happy after the sale. One thing you'll find with Eric is that he stands behind his products and his work.

BTW: Eric will be selling my first motor if you're interested.

Lowell
Old 12-20-2004, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig, the basics are: 1969 351 Windsor block stroked to 418 cubic inches; Compression ratio - 10.25:1; Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft .561 lift intake, .566 exhaust; Air Flow Research 205 heads w/ 2.080 intakes and 1.6 exhaust valves, 58cc chambers; canton oil pan w/DSS windage tray; Mighty Demon 825 carb (jetted for Denver altitude); MSD ignition system. Dyno results at the flywheel: 285 horsepower @3000 rpm to (peak) 484 hp @5500 rpm to 472 hp at 6000 rpm; 496 lb/ft torque at 3000 rpm to (peak) 529 lb/ft @ 3800 rpm to 413 lb/ft @6000 rpm. Price was $9750 out the door with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty; installation was by Brian at Torik Motorsports. I can't help you on build time...Eric simply matched up the projected delivery of my Superformance with his work load. I can tell you that he called me as often as I called him...great guy!

Performance Engineering website at: http://www.perfeng.cc/#

Terry
Old 12-21-2004, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Terry
Let's see $9750 x 1.25 (exchange rate)us$-can$=$12187.50
x 1.15 (taxes paid @ customs)=
$14,0156.50 Ouch!!!
Still not to bad when you see what some of our local builders are asking for similar builds & no warranty.
That's why you guy's have all the cool sh----t
Craig
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

........yeh, but just try to buy prescription drugs here vs. Canada!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello guys,

I am new here - less than 1 week owner of a BDR Cobra (670miles).
What kind of oil do you recommend for 408 Windsor Stroker Cobra Special engine? Any specific brand that you guys love?

I tried to e-mail directly the Performance Engineering guys but no reply yet. I am sure I am going to get their reply but since my car is in the mechanic for a clutch repair (previous owner never changed the fluids) I am thinking to change the oil engine as well and pretty much to do a complete check up...

Best - Andronikos,

Last edited by andronikos916; 05-03-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andronikos,

When I bought my P.E. engine, they were recommending a non-synthetic 20W - 50 for break in during the first 2500 miles; after break in the recommendation was for a Synthetic (such as Mobil 1) 15@ - 50. I followed the recommendation and still use the Mobil 1 synthetic.

Terry
Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the reply.

After research about oil and the availability of oil types here in Greece I will go with the Redline 40WT Race Oil (15W40) or the 50WT Race Oil (15W50) . Both are 100% synthetic Racing oils but since Jeniffer from PE was ok with using these (even with my 700miles) I believe that is ok.

Do you know if I need another / different oil filter because I will switch to synthetic oil? At the moment I am using the Motocraft FL-300.

Also another similar oil that I can found here is the AMSOIL Dominator 15W-50. What you guys think?

Thank you - Andronikos,