Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Beware: Holliday Motor Sports

Updating previous post, I received my Cobra replica after some 29 months. Numerous problems exist. Have copied and pasted below a letter sent to Holliday, respective consuls, and another party who has purchased a vehicle from him. Fortunately I have a gentleman in Hondo, Tx. that does custom auto work, that will be repairing the problems and inspecting the vehicle.

March 26, 2006

Mr. Daryl Holliday
Daryl Holliday’s Motorsports
4391 S.H. 30 West
Huntsville, TX. 77340

Dear Daryl,

I have been in possession of my Cobra for one day as of this writing. After twenty nine months in the making by a self proclaimed artiste, and by your consul as a “Craftsman”, I find numerous problems with the vehicle.

You will recall the problem with the line to the transmission cooler becoming detached when I picked up the car. When I returned to Boerne transmission fluid was added to bring it to normal levels prior to removing it from the trailer.

Listed below are my findings for day one:

A. The steering mechanism is loose allowing the steering column to transverse about an inch inward and outward. I would think this could be dangerous if hard corners were taken or a piece of rough road were encountered.

B. Part of the transmission linkage was left unattached, namely the linkage to
carburetor for the passing gear..

C. When you depress the accelerator more than 50% the engine sputters and chokes out. Perhaps this has to do with item B as the carburetor is using more fuel that the rpm’s of the engine can consume.

D. I have yet to feel the transmission shift from second to third gear.

E. Given that the vehicle is not shifting from second to third gear I assume this would result in a severe increase in gasoline consumption and miles /gallon. Unfortunately I’m unable to figure the gasoline consumption as neither the gas gauge nor the speedometer is operational.

F. When the car is idling (currently 2600 rpm) or running, oil leaks from the oil cooler. While running the oils leaks run down the frame next to the exhaust system which would appear quite dangerous to me.

G The headers are in direct contact with the foot boxes.

H. Lastly, the transmission line detached itself once again.

In summary, I have “Fired up the Holliday Cobra and have experienced the power” (per Mr. Lewis) and I am totally under whelmed. I would prefer to think that the problems above are because of incompetence rather than being intentional. I refuse to return the vehicle to you for any repairs as I haven’t the time to waste nor do I have any confidence in your workmanship. One bad decision need not be compounded by another one. I will have the vehicle repaired locally as it is unsafe to drive and unfit for resale.

Rich Lihou

cc: Mr. Ed Vandermark Esq.
Mr. Hollis Lewis Esq.
Mr. Larry Quillin