Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry Comp Cams Bad Tech Support Blew my Engine

After getting incorrect advice on which distributor drive gear to use from Comp Cams Tech Support, my engine blew after only 150 miles. After eight months of going back and forth with them and putting 1000 miles on the rebuild, which was the agreement I made with them, this is their final response. They will replace the camshaft if I send them my old one. So even though their bad tech support cost me $4000 and I have done everything they asked over the last eight months to prove that it was their bad advice, which by the way, they continue to give out to customers. This is their final word. What exactly am I supposed to do with a new camshaft now when my engine has been back together for eight months. And why wasn't that offer made up front? I think it is time to teach thses corporate giants that they can not treat customers this way. I am hoping that many of you will make your voices heard and write and e-mail Comp Cams and boycot their products in the future. If there are any Lawyers out there that want to take up my case, please let me know. If they are not stopped from giving out this incorrect advice on which distributor drive gear to use, then many more of us will have blown engines and costly repairs. Several of you have already contacted me to share their same experience and blown engine stories due to Comp Cams bad advice. We can not let them continue to give out this incorrect information without taking responsiblity for the damges it causes. Please help. Make your voices heard.

Mike
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Who built your engine? Certainly not Comp Cams?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Yeah, I'd like to learn more about the build and the entire process, A to Z. I call people for advice all the time. And then I call a few more to confirm what the first person said.

True story. I was in Delhi, India with a local business partner. We were driving around in an unfamiliar area of the city (Noida), so my business partner asks his driver to pull over. He gets out and asks for directions. He gets back in the car, we go another two blocks, and he asks the driver to pull over, again. He gets out and talks to another guy. He gets back in the car and I ask, "Xxxxx, what did you ask that guy?" And his response was "For directions. I just wanted to confirm what the first guy told us, since you never know if they really understood the question to begin with!" Similar situation...different part of the world.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 03-21-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

3 identical posts on the same subject!!! Cheap coverage I suppose. Would help to know the full story here rather than just your obvious frustration at the chain of events- as cashburn points out, who actually built the engine and chose the components for the build?

Last edited by Jac Mac; 03-21-2008 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: xtra
Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

And what gear did they tell you to use,and what are you using now??
Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

bUMP!!!!!!!! !
Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I think Comp Cams is overwhelmed and is having difficulty managing the tech desk.

With the problems that you list, there is no wonder why someone had a bad experience. But keep in mind Comp Cams will not be liable for anything but their camshaft(s) replacement.

Do please fill in the blanks as we may be able to learn from this.

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 347 ford
Not Ranked     
Default tech support

I also had a tech question,and all i wanted was an honest answer,that were they having problems with a certain cam series? Well,finally,through another builder we compared notes and bingo!

Do not use comp lube on any bb chevy flat tappet hp cams!

The zinc question was not aware to who i spoke to.

Thity seven years ago,crower spit out a bunch of cams for BB,that had somehow were put in the harding rack wrong,in my shop we got two,Crower would not admit to this (but it got out later),since that time,i nver allowed one of their products in my shop.

In this buisness,too many things can go wrong without products that are not trued and tried,the products i use have never given me greif in all these years,granted,human error happens,but people that want your buisness will always find a solution to dilema

The simple solution is to chalk it up to learning,and keep your resolve not to let it happen again by using their stuff,as i will not use comp cam products again.

Wally
Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

It would be nice to know the complete story since you are wanting certain actions on your word. I've been lucky. I've used both the brands listed here and have never had a problem. I have, however, seen and consulted on a few in the last couple years that could be attributed to several things....including EPA ,mandated oil reformulations. Comp Cams did have some Tech contradictions regarding the dist. gear to use with certain roller cams. They offer a billet roller and a cast roller, that seem to require different gears( the cast can use a stock gear, I believe). I build a couple engine a year and usually do a 500-1000 mile break in check to insure that nothing is going bad. I'm curious how an engine was destroyed by a dist/cam gear problem, wasn't there some indication of something going sour before the engine was destroyed??
Personally, I think that most Tech help at virtually any supplier is worthless.Tech help, except for basics, can't be on a cheat sheet...it takes some hands-on experience. As we have grown away from hands-on experience and the market has grown, with a need for experience, there is a big shortage of knowledgeable people in many areas.

Last edited by Woodz428; 12-14-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Comp cams were making ( and possibly still are ) chev steel cams for roller applications that had a 'normal' cast gear & rear journal pressed onto the steel cam core. This gave the best of both worlds meaning that ordinary distributor gears could be used without any problems and the steel billet gave the better cam lobes for roller applications. Its not hard to envisage how there is some confusion in the market with both options being available especially when you buy thru third parties who dont know their product or simply dont care.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     
Default Dead Thread?

Hey guys, this thing had been dead for nine months before Steve pumped life back into its dead body. The original poster was non-responsive to all requests for additional info.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.