Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default found Unfinished contemporary kit

I finally found a contemporary kit unfinished still in the crate. what paper work do u get when u buy a kit from contemporary. I am not sure what to look for for paper work i have to bring the kit all the way back to vancouver and i dont want headakes at the border.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Best check with Canadian authorities to see if you can bring it in at all. Seems there have been a lot of stories lately of Canadian buyers with kits they can't import after buying them......
Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Herc,

What you're dealing with is how to import a "starter kit / car kit." You need to ensure that the kit doesn't contain enough of the right parts to be considered an unassembled "kit car" by Transport Canada. As you're in the Vancouver area, I suggest you contact Al Beix who is the official Factory Five rep for Canada (he's in B.C.). He has been successfully importing FFR "starter kits" for years and knows what can be included / what must be excluded. TC won't tell you in advance and you will eventually need to contact them for a letter authorizing you to import your "starter kit."

It can be done. Al and many FFR customers do it all the time. Just educate yourself first. Good luck.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Canadian customer page from FFR. Take a look at what they include / exclude from their kits for a clue as to what you'll need to do.

Last edited by SunDude; 02-10-2010 at 04:23 AM..
Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Kit should have an MSO. I believe cars need to be 20 years or more older, don't know on kits. Good luck getting it home, great find! Let me know if I can help with parts for it.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5.0L Carbs E303 Cam
Not Ranked     
Default Re Importing a Cobra from the USA

Hi Herc.

While it is possible to import a privatly purchased Cobra Kit, there are a bunch of details that you need to be aware of, I would suggest you call me on our toll free line so we can talk about that you are looking at and what you need to know.

Al Beix
www.westerncanadacobras.com
Toll Free 866 853-5835
Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. i am going to try to get a hold of transport canada but the olympics are going to make it hard to get anything done for 2 weeks. what is the mso i asked if he had any paper work he said he does not.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Occupational Health & Safety Instructor
Not Ranked     

Herc I'm in winnipeg and theres lot's of kits,esp FFR ones. But superformance,and everything else. REMEMBER THIS NEVER EVER USE THE WORD "KIT" Transport canada ties their shorts in a knot as soon as that word is mentioned.
bring it over as PARTS and theres no issues. insure as a prototype if BC allows that and your Booming down the road.

So remember it's safer to say bomb in a airport than "kit' to TC.

Post pics when you build it brother.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
Thanks for the replies. i am going to try to get a hold of transport canada but the olympics are going to make it hard to get anything done for 2 weeks. what is the mso i asked if he had any paper work he said he does not.
Talk to Al first -- talk to TC later
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I talked to al he is a really helpfull person much appreciated. Looks like i have a bit of work ahead of me ill keep u all posted on my progress getting the car home.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Herc the MSO is the Manufacturers Statement of Origin every Kit Car co.that sells cars issues an MSO with there cars so that the states knows where and who manufactured that particular "kit" that way they know its not a stolen or illegaly imported car and i also believe there is a liability issue also but i cant say for sure( i'm sure someone will correct me) if he doesnt have the MSO then you may want to stay away from this particular car because you may have registration issues.........
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Registration is a provincial matter, so you should contact the B.C. ministry of transportation and find out what they need in terms of documentation. I could tell you what's needed here in Ontario, but that won't help you. You gotta call the province.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

that's a barn find , you will have alot of envy (healthy) and support here on CC for you and your treasure .
Congrates again , does she have a sister
SDR
________
R1150r

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Herc , If you end up heading south on I-5 thru seattle get a hold of me i have an extra assembly man. you can have. Bob
Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Herc,
Is it a torsion bar or coilover front car?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The owner has no paper work from contemporary and he bought it second hand He told me all he has for paper work is a hand written bill of sale from the original owner. I am not sure i can even get it across the border at this point. And it has a coil over front suspenion.

Last edited by herc; 02-10-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

New kits cannot come into the country, assembled or disassembled. Split up the package and bring it in as parts.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

So let me get this straight: Canadians can build what we call a specially constructed vehicle, and bring in any parts they need for it, but any SET of parts intended to be put together is banned?

Um, what's the rationale for that?

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Same rationale that impounds cars they consider to be street racing........
Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
So let me get this straight: Canadians can build what we call a specially constructed vehicle, and bring in any parts they need for it, but any SET of parts intended to be put together is banned?

Um, what's the rationale for that?
I'm not trying to defend Transport Canada here, but you haven't got it quite right...

For the most part the requirements in the U.S. and Canada are the same. All new vehicles sold must meet federal safety standards. Period.

In the U.S. vehicles that don't comply must be at least 25 years old to be imported, where in Canada the limit is "only" 15 years.

So the question is this: How many parts can a "car kit" have before it is classified as an unassembled "motor vehicle"?

The big difference there is that Canadian transport regulators are MUCH STRICTER on this than U.S. regulators. Which is why you guys can import factory-made rollers from South Africa, and we have to be so careful re: car kit contents.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am pretty upset rite now it does not look good for me to import this car. it looks like i need paper work that he does not have. Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to get around this problem or does anyone know how to get ahold of the builder of the contemporary cobra maybe he can help me with the original paper work.