Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newby with a few Contemporary questions

Yo guys
I am working part time working for a older guy with a bunch of cars, one of them is a Contemporary Cobra

It had been painted a few years ago before he got sick, and was taken apart
here is what it looked like a week or two ago, when I first started working on it

Since then I have it all back together, well he doesn't like roll bars, or bumpers, so it doesn't have them. Got it running and back on the road

here is what it looks like now

Got to drive it around town, and had a blast driving it.
Though since the owner is not as strong as he used to be, the clutch is way to hard for him to be able to drive it, allmost to stiff for me, but I could manage, hehe

I told him I would look into seeing if we could install a hydraulic clutch setup so he can drive it. I have done some research, but since this car has a toploader in it, not a lot of my research paned out. Most of the kits I found were for T-5 transmissions, and for a factory five car.

Since I am not sure how the contemporary pedals/footwell compair with a factory five car, and the fact it is a toploader figured I would ask you all for advice.

Also anything I need to be aware of with the Contemporary cars, and things I should keep a eye out for ?

Oh just incase your curious it has a 347 small block in it, and the exhause comes out the back

Still have a bit more work to do on it, some of the guages are not working, so got to pull the dash and see whats going on with the wireing?? I got a funny fealling when it got painted some grounds may have been messed up, as I allready had to work on all the grounds for the lights and turn signals

thanks Don
PS the car is in Newton ma
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

How does the clutch operate hydraulic or cable?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will look again in the morning, but think it is a cable
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

If the fuel gage doesn't work, don't be surprised. If you have Smith gages, chances are the ohmage for the in tank sensor is wrong. Use the odometer once you figure out the mileage. I've had a couple of Contemporary's and they both had the same issue.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Isn't Newton down the road from us? I know this car, I almost bought it about six years back when it was in NJ. I have met the owner and have forgotten his name at this point.

I am not a clutch expert however it would benefit from a pedal box upgrade and possibly masters and slave as well. There are a few CCX's in Southern NH and the talent to get all your answers to your questions.

Last I knew the car was for sale?

Drop me an email....... Jeff

Dan
Must be the heat in AZ as our gauges all work.... LOL

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 10-20-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys
I was so concerned with putting it back together, fuel/carb, and ellectrical issues, that I really didn't look at the clutch setup much.
I saw it had a external resevour for the brakes, but took a 2nd look and it does have a hydraulic slave cylinder

I am going to see if I can bleed it to see if that helps. It is twice as stiff as the mechanical linkage on my bronco

He told me it is a contemporary, but has a shelby vin tag

I took some pic, and it must be a early one, as it is a torsion bar front suspension

will post the pics tonight
Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

WOW...nice looking ride...and the bronco looks cool to...

on the hydraulic clutch is it a push or pull slave cylinder ???
Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The stock CCX slaves were commonly from a P1800 Volvo but there are a few alternatives also used. Shelby VIN tags don't mean anything to the car they're put onto, what is it "a rose by any other name.....". Fuel gauges are Smiths with a 0-90 ohm value. Senders are Camaro (Government Motors) 33-240 ohm value. They added a ballast and tweaked both as far as they could be tweaked and they sort of turn on and off but don't really read levels. The gauge is now available from Mister CCX at Nisonger for those senders or you can change the sender to fit the gauge with a nice solid state inductive tube type, or carry a can till you figure out mileage.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     

Don, nice job, good stance, bold, and very clean looking. Great you are helping him! I am sure he appreciates the car coming together after all the years. Just thought, maybe and automatic. I read they presented Mr Shelby a Daytona Coupe with an Art Carr paddle shift tranny.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Flat belly and torsion bar front.... it is a Contemporary!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
WOW...nice looking ride...and the bronco looks cool to...
Thanks, I like the bronco too, it is my around the town, Urban assalt vehical, and beach ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjockey1 View Post
Don, nice job, good stance, bold, and very clean looking. Great you are helping him! I am sure he appreciates the car coming together after all the years. Just thought, maybe and automatic. I read they presented Mr Shelby a Daytona Coupe with an Art Carr paddle shift tranny.
I told him he should put a automatic in it, I bet it would still be a lot of fun with a built C4. I remeber seeing a auction where they sold Carol Shelby personal Cobra and it had a automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
The stock CCX slaves were commonly from a P1800 Volvo but there are a few alternatives also used.
Thanks, that helps, along with the other info you gave

well here are some pics, of the masters, the slave cylinder, and a chassic pic