Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jag Rear Suspension Replacement

Anybody replace a Jag rear suspension w/a Cobra Racing set-up? The brakes are out by the wheels which makes it so much easier to service to. Inboard brakes simply suck. Looks like the lower control arms are aluminum.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by glom5062 View Post
Anybody replace a Jag rear suspension w/a Cobra Racing set-up? The brakes are out by the wheels which makes it so much easier to service to. Inboard brakes simply suck. Looks like the lower control arms are aluminum.
Welcome. With your first post you've stated something without a word of explanation to substantiate it. We expect more than that around here.
Outboard brakes are easier to service. But done correctly, inboards do not 'simply suck'. I have 20+ years of hard usage to back that up.
And your experience?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

Dang Chas for a minute there i thought you were talking to Patrickt.
I have inboard brakes on my car and they perform well. Are they difficult to change out the pads? YES!! How often do you need to? If you are just looking for outboard brakes you can change the hubs and/or do some modifications to what you have. I'm not sure what or which Cobra Racing set-up you are talking about there are many different independent set-ups out there. Like i always say "No mater what you have all it takes is money and imagination to change it".
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Cobra racing set-up? Like a Dana 44 diff with IRS? Oh, wait a minute, that's what's there. What Cobra racing set up are we talking about?

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67JET View Post
Dang Chas for a minute there i thought you were talking to Patrickt.
Jet,
Love him or hate him, Pat always offers evidence for declarative statements. Gotta respect that.
It remains to be seen if Glom makes a second post to do that.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Chas pull your head in and go hijack one of his threads then. The set up Gloms talking about is from George Petrus here http://www.cobraracing.com/ProductsP...010_Zoom1.html
As you can see it's a thing of beauty with billet lower arms X-braced, built in watts on the hubs AND outboard brakes. The pic shows it in a Contemporary frame I believe. I don't know what he gets for them these days but be sitting down when you ask.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll have to check some old emails but i think his set-up (Lower a-arms, hubs,watts linkage) was about $2300 and i'm not sure that included outboard brakes. But i am sleepy and it's been a year ago so there is a good chance that i am off. I'll check and post tomorrow. He is hard to get a hold of but i have some phone numbers i can share if interested.

Chas,
And by the way i very much enjoy Patrickt's comments and quick wit, not to mention all the knowledge that spills from his post. It just breaks my heart that he has come to accept that,that,----thing behind his passenger seat and that it has become a permanent part of his Cobra.

Last edited by 67JET; 11-10-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Hey Chas pull your head in and go hijack one of his threads then. The set up Gloms talking about is from George Petrus here .
I know that's George's work Nick. I was addressing the inboard vs outboard point-not George's product. It's not a hijack when you ask a guy with one post to back up a brash statement and you offer a valid contra experience.
I'd ask you to be mindful of the fact that I've been a vocal supporter of your business and experience before branding me a hijacker. I have always attempted to contribute experiences to help guys on here-and to learn from pros-and not for a business-related purpose.
Stick to your business and just ignore what you dislike about my participation. Don't need your admonishments. You're not the thread police.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...//ppuser/19425
Have a click through some of Rich's pics. He shows some great comparo shots with either side and some good info on what hubs he used for the outboard conversion etc. I'm trying to keep on track and encourage a newbie to come back.

Last edited by mickmate; 11-10-2010 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Couldn't get the pic to work used link instead
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How about an all aluminum, true double wishbone independent rear? C5, C6 Corvette generation parts are not too expensive and have some real advantages over the old swing arm technology of the Jag. Takes some fabricating but, man what a ride! Well, actually alot of fabricating!!! It's all good!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At Infineon, SAAC-35, my inboard rear brakes over heated real bad. I simply removed the access panel (that ERA's have) and that gave them plenty of cooling and super easy to bleed/service.

If you have inboards and don't have an access panel, get the sawzall out and go to work. Inboard brakes aren't bad.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another option might be ERA's outboard brake option, but I'm not sure that is for sale to the "general public" or only for ERA owners?

At any rate, I'll spend my money on other things before I worry about modifying my stock Jag IRS which works really really well.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...//ppuser/19425
Have a click through some of Rich's pics. He shows some great comparo shots with either side and some good info on what hubs he used for the outboard conversion etc. .
I only used George's control arms and to get outboard brakes, I used Jag XJ40 hubs which needed the use of different bearings with shims all bought from McMaster. You can used the stock brakes or go custom like I did using Wilwood pieces with a fabricated bracket to accomdate the larger rotors.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as i know he doesnt make a billet setup for the contemporary anymore last time i looked into it. I was told the era was the only option for out board brakes any further info would appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Hmmm, just now found this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67JET View Post
And by the way i very much enjoy Patrickt's comments and quick wit, not to mention all the knowledge that spills from his post.
Well l think that pretty much speaks volumes. Truth be told, the Jag rear is fine for 99% of the Cobra owners on this forum. I splurged for the outboard braked rear only because of the coolness, and ease of pad changing, with the brakes. The fact that it is adjustable really doesn't matter that much unless you're doing serious racing. It is an absolute thing of beauty, though. You can just lie there and stare at it and appreciate the time, effort, and thought that went in to its design.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Here's a photo of the ERA setup with outboard brakes.

DonC
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
As far as i know he doesnt make a billet setup for the contemporary anymore last time i looked into it. I was told the era was the only option for out board brakes any further info would appreciated.
I just purchased mine this summer. He is a little hard to get in touch with but he is still selling them. I believe he will sell you the one he uses for the picture on his website.

Last edited by cobrarkc; 11-11-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that we are not fighting anymore (BTW i do think Patrickt, Chas, and Mickmate are brothers) I have a question. Last winter i rebuilt what i have and now am looking forward to making what i have better. I like George's lower arms - Beautiful - but it don't look like my new rods i got from CWI will work with them. The rods go from the front of the lower arm towards the front of the car and connect to the frame. They helped front to back movement but did nothing for the top of the hub ( and i knew they wouldn't). I want to go with the watts or the set-up Mickmate has but i also like George's lower arms. So does anyone know what will mix and match? Who has lower arms with adjustable end links?

Last edited by 67JET; 11-13-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can make you tubular X braced lower arms with heim joints on the inners.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mickmate
How a bout PM or email me with some info and pricing. My car doesen't have front or rear sway bars so i need to figure out how to incorperate mounts so that i can add them later. I'm planning on buying the "Fast Cars" front end later (SoTxButler has one) to replace my MG front end but i have been trying to plan out my rear end changes for this winter. I was also thinking about changing my factory Jag half shafts to something stronger.