Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon Miller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Contemporary Headers

What has everybody done for headers on a Contemporary with an FE? Scratch built? Kit?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

John,

Since you're in the Bay Area, you might want to call Steve (Panavia) at Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara. Bet he can point you in the right direction.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmt View Post
What has everybody done for headers on a Contemporary with an FE? Scratch built? Kit?

Thanks,
John
John,
Cobra Restorers sells them for Contemporary's with an FE. I bought a set and they were well made and fit good. Click on the "Cobra Restorers" link below, it'll bring you right to their listing for the headers. Hope this helps.

Doug
Cobra Restorers
Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Get in touch with Justin O Rourke at Tubular Automotive. He used to make them.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Everett-Morrison,428SCJ
Not Ranked     

Hi John,
My vote is for Scratch Build! All you need is a MIG welder and a grinder, or get really good with the MIG and skip the grinder...... I did mine in a week of evenings at a cost of $200 in bends, and another $200 for Ceramic coating. I wanted equal length, and I like doing as much myself as I can. Check my gallery for pics.

Good Luck!
Jon
Rog23cab likes this.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Miller View Post
Hi John,
My vote is for Scratch Build! All you need is a MIG welder and a grinder, or get really good with the MIG and skip the grinder...... I did mine in a week of evenings at a cost of $200 in bends, and another $200 for Ceramic coating. I wanted equal length, and I like doing as much myself as I can. Check my gallery for pics.

Good Luck!
Jon
This is more what I was thinking. I have mig and tig and I'm a fairly proficient welder. Where did you get your bends? I see that Jeg's has them listed. Where did you come up with the design prototype or did you buy a bunch of parts and wing it?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey John I have a guy make a very reasonable set of bends for me from e-bay. If your time is free have at it. Get a couple of hose clamps you can use around joints to clamp them in place and put some holes through them to get your tacks done. You can buy similar clamps also.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Hey John I have a guy make a very reasonable set of bends for me from e-bay. If your time is free have at it. Get a couple of hose clamps you can use around joints to clamp them in place and put some holes through them to get your tacks done. You can buy similar clamps also.
Nick,
Good idea with the hose clamps. Aren't you a little worried about the stainless cross contamination?

John
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Everett-Morrison,428SCJ
Not Ranked     

I bought the bends from (please don't tell anybody) J. C. Whitney......At the time they had the best price, and it's hard to screw up a piece of steel pipe! I just started with a few U bends and 90's and and ran the farthest runs first making sure to account for the short and long bends at the side pipes. The front and rear cylinders go to the short 90's, with the middle cylinders going to the long 90's. I think I ended up with runs of 34" +/- 1/2".

The hose clamps with holes drilled in them for tacking worked great. I did not melt the stainless clamps, just tacked through the drilled holes. This was my first attempt at headers and maybe I just got lucky, but I did not have to redo any of the pipes.

I made the sidepipes out of stainless with mufflers from Summit, and the rest of the bends from stainless specialties.

-Jon
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shop e-bay for some stainless tube and bends, the biggest cost is the time. There are some intake fabricators on there selling all kinds of angle, radius and dia bends. If you go that route put a tee in your gas hose with a valve you can use to fill the exhaust with backing gas, duct tape the ends. Makes a nice smooth flowing ID.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Shop e-bay for some stainless tube and bends, the biggest cost is the time. There are some intake fabricators on there selling all kinds of angle, radius and dia bends. If you go that route put a tee in your gas hose with a valve you can use to fill the exhaust with backing gas, duct tape the ends. Makes a nice smooth flowing ID.

I learn a new trick every day! Thanks Nick. What would be better? Straight argon or Co2 mix?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use Argon when I'm TIG welding exhausts together. They come out OK....well good enough for a cover car

Last edited by mickmate; 07-04-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I use Argon when I'm TIG welding exhausts together. They come out OK....well good enough for a cover car
NICE!! But now your showing off!!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You're right, it's part of the Cobra mantra to do that I think.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Interesting thread guys, Although on the "and it's hard to screw up a piece of steel pipe! " part Id have to say Ive screwed up a mountain of metal and wood in my quest for acceptability. Now I'm learning how to weld so I expect I will have a ton or more to take to the recyclers soon. Nick you are a craftsman deluxe.

Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33344 with original bore 427 SO.
Not Ranked     

I bought Cobra Restorers sidepipes for my Contemporary and had to do major rework to get them to fit...they were too long in the primaries and the quality was nowhere near the originals...
I vote for scratchbuilt so you can use mufflers of your choice.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastz06 View Post
I bought Cobra Restorers sidepipes for my Contemporary and had to do major rework to get them to fit...they were too long in the primaries and the quality was nowhere near the originals...
I vote for scratchbuilt so you can use mufflers of your choice.
If you look at Jon Millers pix in his gallery, the headers are beautiful. I'm still hunting around for somebody local that also has a Contemporary that I can crawl around on to check it out for pipes and a WHOLE BUNCH of other stuff. A couple of guys have offered but schedules always seem to conflict.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary Headers

I have an old set of original Contemporary headers that came with my car. They are for a 427 FE. I ordered a new set when I rebuilt the engine. You are welcome to use them to help you make your headers. I live near you in Danville. I might even be willing to take a ride in my Cobra and deliver them to you. Let me know. You can reach me by phone (925) 648-2484 home or (925) 548-0449 cell.

Len