Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary website ?

Does Contemporary have a website ?

A friend wants is looking to build a cobra and I recomended a Contemporary and others.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Does Contemporary have a website ?

A friend wants is looking to build a cobra and I recomended a Contemporary and others.
Contemporary (Burtis) went out of business quite some time ago. Chassis jigs and molds (some not all) were snatched up by FFR.........There are still a few unbuilt kits floating around though, with parts readily available from other sources, making then still a viable build.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Been gone 9 or 10 years now.....a little late to the dance?

Fred's car was the last one built I believe and mine was in the shop when they padlocked the doors..what a shame. All it needed was good management.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's too bad, it looked like a great cobra. How much is the FFR is Contemporary ?

Bill- who do I get a hold of for unfinished kits ?
A friend is looking for one.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's too bad, it looked like a great cobra. How much is the FFR is Contemporary ?

Bill- who do I get a hold of for unfinished kits ?
A friend is looking for one.
Contemporary and FFR have no relation except that FFR bought the molds/jigs and sat on them.

unfinished kits are on ebay, Cobra Country and Club Cobra....there is no single repository for leftover kits, they are scattered across the country.

read this thread on CC about 2 kits on Cobra Country (a great deal!):

Two unassembled CCXs for sale on Cobra Country
Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We talked about this owners kit, but it's too expensive for my friend to purchase. I wish I had the fund to buy it.

He has 10k to get started. I called Hurricane, Shell Valley and Lone Star about buying in stages, and they all will do it. I also want to call ERA.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We talked about this owners kit, but it's too expensive for my friend to purchase. I wish I had the fund to buy it.

He has 10k to get started. I called Hurricane, Shell Valley and Lone Star about buying in stages, and they all will do it. I also want to call ERA.
Personally...I don't think you want to start building a Cobra with only a 10K budget for starters. I think the normal thinking is...whatever you budget, add 20% to it. Most Cobras, minimally, with donor parts cost about 20-30K to build.

I know my build cost me waaaay more than I anticipated for my Contemporary. He'd be better off buying a low dollar Cobra, already built and titled.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Do your friend a favor and include Unique Motorcars on your call list. Their minimum order kit starts at $10,995 and you can order whatever you need in stages from them to finish your car as time and money allow. One of the oldest and best Cobra replica manufacturers out there; and the Weavers, who own the business are as fine a group of people as you could ever hope to deal with.

Unique Motorcars

Also, check out the Unique owners forum at Unique Forums to talk with a very supportive owners group and the manufacturers themselves.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

This is the best place for Contemporary info these days. That is a low budget for a Contemporary but if you can find a complete body and a chassis the rest of the parts can be sourced.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mickmate, why don't you set up a detailed ccx website?? It may be time that someone steps up to the plate.
Also can you pm me.

R
Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by racco View Post
Mickmate, why don't you set up a detailed ccx website?? It may be time that someone steps up to the plate.
Also can you pm me.

R
X2!!
Nick, being at the very bottom of my build, it would be great to know how much "stuff" could be sourced from you for one stop shopping.

John
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've always liked the Unique cobra. I'll call them tomorrow.

Unique site photo's-

This looks so funny !

Can he really sit & drive ?

I think his feet would come out the radiator opening !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-17-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Yes, Unique is a great way to go for the baseline kit at $10,995! And if he wants to save he can do the FIA/USRRC version... less $$$ for the engine and still period correct.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've always liked the Unique cobra. I'll call them tomorrow.

Unique site photo's-

This looks so funny !

Can he really sit & drive ?

I think his feet would come out the radiator opening !

Yes, thats big Bob Evans and his Unique 289FIA. He takes the award for tallest known Cobra driver and the story of Unique's factory mods to make him fit was well known in Cobra circles a few years ago.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
why don't you set up a detailed ccx website??
then I'd need to know something about them ;-)
There is a mailing list (registry) of owners Jeff set up that communicates any good CCX info and networking, the Contemporary manual is available electronically and the most public and best shared resource is the forum here. I realise some guys don't like posting or asking questions on a public forum but there's nothing to be afraid of and questions could be PM'd. I am currently working on a couple of things for CCX's. One is a safety/mechanical checklist and the other is a page of what I have available for them on my site.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You've probably thought of this already

Nick, I'm sure if it were possible to acquire the Contemporary molds and whatever else from FFR, someone would have done so by now. Or maybe not?

A splash off of an early original Contemporary body (or a later generation tweaked to undo Peter Bayers modifications ) could be done and the frame would be easy to duplicate.

EDIT: I think I remember reading a while back that Mr Bruce has already done a CCX splash.

If someone like yourself (well known/respected, and a CCX guru) ever decided to go into the business of producing "Continuation Contemporary Cobras" (one of the best known/most highly respected replicas ever); that venture to me would be far more likely to succeed than say, trying to manufacture and sell Cheetahs

Set up with as low an initial investment as possible as a supplement to an existing operation and with the expectation that it would be a low volume, build to order business, do you think it could work?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Buzz, I've had lengthy discussions with some CCX guys about this. There is a coil over front, watts linkage rear CCX frame I have been offered to dupe. I talked to another guy that has doors, trunk and hood ready to pull molds off, there are other customers who have said I can use their bodies for a pull and as you say Bruce may have already done it. I like the suggestion of raising side pipes and sectioning the rocker panels. Making an assumption on those being the "corrections" mentioned. At that stage why not use the correct CSX body and make a glass cockpit that can be used inside it to do the CCX style build? I am pretty focused on the CSX style builds right now but I'm always picking my way ever closer to a whole car. Once you've made that many parts for it why not right? Stop distracting me with good ideas!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buzz,

Those molds are probably worth nothing more than firewood now.

At the time Contemporary closed, they had quite a few bodies already splashed from these molds and were already considered very well worn. I doubt they have been cared for after all these years.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR coupe fms 392,430 hp
Not Ranked     

I just replied to a post about the Contemporary that's on e-bay now, couple of post mentioned the body style, does anyone know the whole story of how Contemporary pulled the mold off an original Daytona and whose , or what original car was used? I never heard, this was several years ago.I called Contemporary in the 80's about buying just a body but that was no deal, they would only sell a complete roller that I could not afford at the time, I have more than the currant high bid in my FFR, no comparison in looks.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Grumpy2- what,............no pics in your gallery ! lol
Please post at least one.