Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax Tojeiro, 450bhp 383 ci Stroker, Tremec TKO and Contemporary CCX, Big Block Ford, old school.
Not Ranked     
Default Project Contemporary UK

Hi Gang, I've pushed the start button on my new CCX build.
Probably the only one in construction still in the UK I would think.
Anyway I'm going to need help from you guys, lots of help.

Project Contemporary

I'm documenting the build with pictures on the UK forum if you want a read please follow the above link.

Current problems are front uprights to top and bottom 'A' arms, I have Jaguar XJ uprights but I can't see how they connect to the arms I have, along with front sway bar.
This is a late model CCX so I have no build manual, so all help gladly received.

The other issue is that here in the UK we have a test known IVA (individual vehicle approval) which won't allow many things that would have been on original spec Cobras, even down to switches etc.
So I will have to re-engineer a few things post test.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

What year do you think it was originally purchased? I have an '89 build, CCX3-3147.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Unless we see a picture it is hard to tell but you may have to use XKE upright instead of XJ6 ones.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

I suggest you get in touch with Nick (mickmate), as he seems to be the resident guru for all things Contemporary Classic. Send him a PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Kevin, I looked over your pics. It looks as though you have specifically made a-arms for the front. I have seen other CCX coil over cars where the uppers were modified for coil over and lowers were stock XKE. You have stock Jag geometry from the look of things which works well. It looks like you're missing a ball joint bushing in one of your uprights? How does the taper match up to your ball joints? It may need reaming to match. Those screw in Chrysler type ball joints are the standard for race cars control arms. Good hardware. The later uprights are vented and a better braking set up with a more standard caliper bolt spacing for even more upgrades. They also have a shorter and fatter (translation stiffer) spindle.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax Tojeiro, 450bhp 383 ci Stroker, Tremec TKO and Contemporary CCX, Big Block Ford, old school.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrod1927 View Post
What year do you think it was originally purchased? I have an '89 build, CCX3-3147.
My car or at least the body says CCX 3-4028 I believe it was purchased here in the UK in 1999. via Jim Blackburn (RIP) of American Speed Specialities also RIP.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrarkc View Post
Unless we see a picture it is hard to tell but you may have to use XKE upright instead of XJ6 ones.
Take a look at the UK thread for all the pictures, unfortunately the US site has more size restrictions on pictures so I'd have to shrink them down.
The link for the UK thread is in the first post.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=mickmate;1159420]Hey Kevin, I looked over your pics. It looks as though you have specifically made a-arms for the front. I have seen other CCX coil over cars where the uppers were modified for coil over and lowers were stock XKE. You have stock Jag geometry from the look of things which works well. It looks like you're missing a ball joint bushing in one of your uprights? How does the taper match up to your ball joints? It may need reaming to match. Those screw in Chrysler type ball joints are the standard for race cars control arms. Good hardware. The later uprights are vented and a better braking set up with a more standard caliper bolt spacing for even more upgrades. They also have a shorter and fatter (translation stiffer) spindle.[/QUOTE
Thanks Nick,
Those are XJS uprights the top taper is much larger than the one on the upper A-arm.
As you say one of the uprights is missing its insert.
Have you seen a sway bar like mine before?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I think you'll find the screw in ball joints are available in different sizes. I think this is the smaller one 910 34323 - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop and this is the larger one you'll need Speedway 1960-66 Chrysler Screw-In Lower Ball Joint - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
You may need to do some measuring to figure the tapers out, we can help with the math if need be.
I have seen tubular swaybars before. You could check your rates here Sway Bar Rate Chart I would drill and tap a series of (3/8-24) holes in the end of the arms to make them adjustable and simply tie them to the lower arms by the shock mount with heim jointed radius rods. The old rubber bushed ones come apart 45 yrs later.

Last edited by mickmate; 11-02-2011 at 04:10 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Nick those links are very useful.