Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   Please Help Me Identify My Slabside Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/117835-please-help-me-identify-my-slabside-cobra.html)

Redline Randy 11-01-2012 07:41 PM

Please Help Me Identify My Slabside Cobra

5 Attachment(s)
I bought a slabside Cobra recently in Naples, FL. it was in a barn for many years, and believed to be owned by the famous Collier family at some point. It is a very interesting car with a 4" tube chassis, Jaguar rear end with inboard brakes, jaguar front end with torsion bars, rack and pinion steering, chrome wire wheels, etc. I was told that it could be an original chassis and possibly raced at Sebring, but it has no markings. I believe that it may be one of the early Contemporary slabside prototypes, but I have no idea. Please HELP.....

mrmustang 11-02-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redline Randy (Post 1217450)
I bought a slabside Cobra recently in Naples, FL. it was in a barn for many years, and believed to be owned by the famous Collier family at some point. It is a very interesting car with a 4" tube chassis, Jaguar rear end with inboard brakes, jaguar front end with torsion bars, rack and pinion steering, chrome wire wheels, etc. I was told that it could be an original chassis and possibly raced at Sebring, but it has no markings. I believe that it may be one of the early Contemporary slabside prototypes, but I have no idea. Please HELP.....

Randy,

Post some detailed shots of the engine compartment, firewall, dash, hood, trunk, and door hinges, along with the trunk areas.

Bill S.

Mark IV 11-02-2012 03:17 AM

An original CSX 2000 series chassis would not accomodate the Jag type rear suspension as the tower in the rear would interfere with the Jag suspension. It looks as if the frame is styled after an original.

Redline Randy 11-02-2012 04:07 AM

Bill, Will do on the photos. I'll take those today. Thanks for the response. Mark IV, I also appreciate your response. I was pretty sure that it wasn't a real CSX chassis.

Redline Randy 11-02-2012 04:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some of the pics that you asked for

347stroker 11-02-2012 05:16 AM

Randy I am the person who picked up the white caddy. We talked about the cobra. These guys know their cars. If anyone can figure it out it's them! Tom

mrmustang 11-02-2012 05:40 AM

Engine compartment and footboxes tell me Contemporary, trunk I have never seen like that before (in regards to a Contemporary), but if it was a prototype you never know. You might want to check with Peter at Nisonger.

Bill S.

Redline Randy 11-02-2012 08:57 AM

Thanks Bill. Is Peter a Contemporary Cobra "guru"? Are any of the Contemprary folks still around (that you're aware of)?

Again, thanks for all your help

SunDude 11-02-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redline Randy (Post 1217507)
Thanks Bill. Is Peter a Contemporary Cobra "guru"? Are any of the Contemprary folks still around (that you're aware of)?

Again, thanks for all your help

Peter Bayer is former owner of Contemporary Classic.

mickmate (Nick) is your man on the forum.

avanti-176 11-02-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1217489)
Engine compartment and footboxes tell me Contemporary, trunk I have never seen like that before (in regards to a Contemporary), but if it was a prototype you never know. You might want to check with Peter at Nisonger.

Bill S.

I agree with Bill, that brake fluid reservoir is identical to the one in my Contemporary.

mickmate 11-02-2012 03:58 PM

The front inner fenders, footboxes and the frame looks very CCX as does the reservoir and the windshield center clip. Their is no gusset plate between the main frame rails and the kick up frame rails over the rear. The torsion bar frame mounts also look different. The trunk is unlike anything I've seen. That could very well all be prototype stuff.
I didn't know of them making a slabside but I will ask Peter when we talk next. They made 1 prototype 289 Shelby Cobra Replica - Featured Vehicles - Kit Car Magazine
and 6 of the FIA cars. I see that yours and the FIA's don't have the front side marker bumps and a pretty similar nose look.

Thor maine 11-02-2012 04:31 PM

Looks like a CCX. the frame is right ,the torsion bar mounts look a little more rounded the on the 427 frames and the brake reservoir is right (CCX spec it from a volkswagen). When I was there one time Monti was showing me a 289 body it was not a prototype they had made a few.

rpatton3 11-02-2012 04:38 PM

There was a white 289 Contemporary (I think) at the 1996 Run and Gun at Norwalk, OH.
It had a blue stripe and a green stripe front to rear.
The engine was the then new 385 HP 351 W.

I'm pretty sure it was not Unique, ERA, Everett-Morrison, Johnex, Midstates, Shell Valley or FFR.

If it happened to be one of the six, I wonder who would know?
The builders/owners had a professional driver brought in to drive car.
It had Stewart/Warner gauges

George Anderson was there but I don't know if he took pictures.
The car was in one of the magazines after the R & G.

Redline Randy 11-02-2012 07:07 PM

Gentlemen, please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "CCX"??

To all, thank you so much for your comments to date. I'm really hoping to pin the car down so that I can place a value on it (both "AS IS", and fully restored)

mickmate 11-02-2012 07:13 PM

Contemporary Classic eXport, named after CSX Carroll Shelby eXport. This is a good read for you.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cont...r-history.html

Redline Randy 11-02-2012 07:25 PM

Thanks mickmate, that was informative. Could you point in the right direction for finding a serial number on this thing? There is no plate in the engine compartment.

mickmate 11-03-2012 06:41 PM

Try pulling the drivers side front wheel off. Look at the top of the 4" frame tube for a number. It would be facing upwards and outwards. They can be hard to see with powdercoat paint etc filling them. Shine a light across the area where the suspension mounts. I thought I'd posted some pics of it somewhere, I have them if you need them.

Redline Randy 11-04-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks Nick. I checked out your website. Would you have interest in restoring the Cobra or possibly know a prospective buyer?

mickmate 11-04-2012 04:41 PM

Hi Randy my contact details are on the site. Either or, possibly both. It looks like it's pretty much all there and together. Needs some wiring checking and tidying up, I don't know the shape of the mechanicals. A nice looking wire wheeled 289 street car with undercar exhaust should be very marketable. Give me a call to discuss. Check over here when you get a minute, put Contemporary in the search bar.
Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras

John McMahon 11-04-2012 04:47 PM

I never heard of Contemporary doing a slabside...ever. I had #5 of 7 FIAs built during the last days of the company and they were barely finished by engineering standards.