Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Neutral     
Default Contemporary Classic Motorcar History

Owners group:
I wanted to start a thread regarding the history of our CCX cars. This will involve Peter Bayer and myself documenting truth as to separate urban legend from reality.

My plan will be to try and get him to sit down and answer some long standing questions related to our specific car as an interview in the near future. Please feel free to send me a PM about specific questions you might have so I can be efficient with Peter's time as well as trying to avoid driving him crazy.

Here is the first part of the series/documentation:
Peter,
I hope you might be able to clarify a couple things for all of us with Contemporary Classic cars. I am sort of the moderator for the rag tag group of owners. If you could take a few minutes to help us out it would be great, as you really are the responsible party for this cult. Bet you never thought after so many years there would be an organized group of owners?

What year did CC build the first car?
Where the initial frame numbers build dates? 062482 = June 24th, 1982?
What year did CCX3- numbers start, we guess 1983?
What year did you sell the company?
How many did you build in your tenure in total?
What was the reasoning behind the numbering system?
Was the basis for the car based off of CSX3045?
Thanks
Jeff
-----------
In response:

• The 1st car was built in March of ‘79
• Your interpretation of the chassis numbering system is correct; taking that further, if the number was 062482-2; it would have been the 2nd frame built on that date.
• In the fall of ’83 when the 3rd generation of body molds went into production, we switched over to the CCX numbering system which has no date tie ins. The CCX-3 Series were the 427 SC cars, the CCX-4 were the Daytona coupes and as best I can recall the 289 FIA cars were either CCX-2 or CCX -5 series cars.
• Contemporary Classics was sold to the Burtis family in Oct ’96.
• Since all of the company records were destroyed when Burtis went “Belly Up” in 1999, I can’t tell you for certain how many kits were produced, but I’d estimate that the Contemporary’s total production was somewhere between 1,400 and 1,500 kits.
• If you are talking about the inspiration for the numbering system rather than the company, the CSX letters used in the serial numbers of the original cars stood for Carroll Shelby Export, staying with that same concept, CCX stood for Contemporary Classic Export.
• CSX3045 was the basis for our molds.

Best Regards,
Peter Bayer
------------------

Thank you Peter!
gugisair likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 04-10-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Jeff,
This is going to be a great project. It's good to hear that Peter is willing to talk about the history of these cars. The last time I spoke to him, while he was very courteous he seemed reluctant to tlak about the past. I know all the owners will be very interested in finding out any and all information about this great car we have. As always, keep up the good work.
BTW my frame# is just 0000017 and when I asked him about it he said I quess that was the 17th frame built and said no more. I wonder if there are any other #s like mine or was this because I bought it through a NJ dealer.
Rich Carlisle
Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Neutral     

Hi Jeff,
As a past CCX owner, I find this an interesting project.
At 30 years old, the first Contemporary Cobras are now classics in their own right.
What caught my attention was that for someone so involved in Cobras, Peter had, like so many, misinterpreted the meaning of the CSX chassis numbers.
I'll keep watching for updates.
Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 03-31-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Contemporary 427 SC. built in 1982 before CCX serial #. has body #106. engine 351-C with 48 IDA'S 500 hp, T-56 6 speed, Halibrands k/os. Featured in KIT CAR, MOTOR SPORTS MONTHLY, AUTO X, AND SPORTS CAR. Original owner/builder
Not Ranked     

First of all I would like to thank Peter Bayer for making my dream come true. I had only dreamed of owning such a car. I had seen them in my early 20's, but they were out of my price range, much less the insurance. I think that Peter would be pleased to know that after 28 years my Cobra is a member of the family. Thank you again.

I would like to know who produced the headers, and side pipes for our cars?

How many cars were produced with body #'s on the passanger side of the
firewall? Mine is #106. Was 106 the 6th or 106th car or car body produced?

I would like Peter to stay in touch with this automotive group that he is so
responalble for creating. Much like Carroll Shelby had with SAAC at one time.

With much appreciation

Don Parnell
Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

PETER, What happened to Contemporary's Body molds and frame jigs? I need a body for a Contemporary.

Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Factory Five has them. Not sure they will still do a body for you. Also I don't believe they have ever supplied doors, etc.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Maricopa. Does anyone know if the Contemporary Bodies were a direct take off of a CSX or? Anyone know what would make the Contemporary body different from any other fiberglass body taken off an original Cobra?

Thanks Michael
Bob Sandifer likes this.
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

It was my understanding that the molds were taken directly from Peter's own car. I'm sure someone can provide the CSX number.

Paul
Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

CSX3045 was Peter's car
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa View Post
Factory Five has them. Not sure they will still do a body for you. Also I don't believe they have ever supplied doors, etc.
If FFR isnt going to use them they should sell them to someone who would make these bodies available.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why should they put someone in bizz to compete against themselves. I had a set of splash molds from a Contemporary, and thought of resurecting/reverse enginerring the company, frame and all, thu the idea out here on this forum, no responce.
Dominik likes this.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Bruce. Im not asking to bring Contemporary back to life just that it would be nice to have somewhere to go for an original body. My car would be worth more money if I didnt have to say.... "Well, its a Contemporary Chassis with a Midstates body etc.. As far as "putting someone in bizz to compete against themselves" Im not going to run out and buy a FFR because I cant get an original body for my Contemporary so there's no money to be made by FFR on me unless they can produce an original body.
I wonder, Does anyone know the legalities of ressurecting any of these companies and who owns the names, assets if any etc?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FFR has the CCX molds, at least I saw what was stated as the molds above their office area at the factory. I heard they bought CCX for a song and did it to eliminate the competition in the process. Mark is a smart guy, I would have done the same.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

If memory serves me...I believe The Smiths paid $25K for the molds for the 427SC and the Ferrari 250 Contemporary had. I don't beleive the molds are worth anything now w/o a freshening...I think they had been used to splash quite a few bodies and that point and were showing their age then.

The name 'Contemporary' can be revived at anytime as I understand it.

In addition, all the paperwork offered at the time of the sale by Peter Bayer, ended up in the trash I think since Burtis wanted none of it...stupid move as I saw it.

John "my Contemporary 289FIA was locked in Burtis shop when he went bankrupt" McMahon
Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

michael 4ya give me a call Bob 253 988-4995
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default contemporary serial number

I have a question, my cobra doesnt have the ccx by the number its just stamped 3081 so can some one tell by that what year it was made ? I know it was licenced in 1985.
Thanks Scott
Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I'm guessing that by comparing that number with the numbers of my car, that your's was built in late 1980 or early 1981.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428CJ, 4-Speed Ford, CCX-3057
Not Ranked     

Hi:
Mine's 3057 and the title came listed as a '79 Ford. Hope this helps.
Kirk
Old 04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are the Contemporary Frames Stamped with an ID or is it just the bodies? And if so where on the frame would it be?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, mine is stamped on the main frame tube just behind the driver side front wheel if yours is powder coated you may have to look real close