Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I agree with Dave, looks like its a one off and nicely done.
Definitely different than std CCX car for sure.

Value; Would need to be looked over to determine as glass cars are robust and the CCX frame had no way to support the alloy body. That said if done right it might be a nice car to have, still different than KMS or MKVI as look at the door hinges, welded directly to discrete door frame tubing, might be fragile in comparison to other alloy cars.

Would need to be seen in the flesh...... My $0.02
I will be in CA next week and could review in the flesh, also John Bessey could look it over.
Just PM "MB" and offered my services...

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 02-01-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I was thinking the body in the picture I referenced, looks like a crack in the fiberglass, as well as unpainted fiberglass along the edge

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I have to say I agree with Bill. The hood opening edge in that pic sure looks like fiberglass and the aluminium firewall looks like an add-on panel. Not the best angle on the body shot but I also agree that the shape, fenders and front wheel arch/fender flare all sure look like a normal Contemporary body. Someone would've gone to a lot of trouble to replicate that body shape in alloy and create the required tubular substructure, yet still leave unoriginal details like the upright radiator alone. It's possible that they did, but it seems a bit strange and unlikely to me. I could be wrong though.
1985 CCX likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-01-2017, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

It would be great if Jeff could get eyes on this thing. I see nothing in the pic of the hood that looks remotely fiberglass. Clearly the center of the hood is alum and has a glass or otherwise scoop riveted to it. Agreed that the cowl aluminum looks like the accessory panel offered by CCX. Exactly the same as my old CCX. Jeff is right about the door hinges. Not correct and odd that all of that trouble wouldn't merit the correct reinforcement.

But.... that steering wheel has to go!

Dave
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I was thinking the body in the picture I referenced, looks like a crack in the fiberglass, as well as unpainted fiberglass along the edge
Hey Bill,
Look at the photo showing the hood hinges and opening. Look at the hood opening just outbd of the right hood hinge and how it is formed around a tube. Also in the hood opening fwd end, the white stripe area appears to be rolled under.

Thoughts?
cobrakiwi likes this.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Hey Bill,
Look at the photo showing the hood hinges and opening. Look at the hood opening just outbd of the right hood hinge and how it is formed around a tube. Also in the hood opening fwd end, the white stripe area appears to be rolled under.

Thoughts?
Even downloaded and photo shop enhanced I'm not seeing it, same goes for the lack of body framework and support shown in the trunk opening shot. All I see is straight fiberglass Contemporary main body. Would love to see better shots of the doors, trunk area, and of course under the body in the engine compartment to see if there are other modifications to the hood/trunk-lid/doors. Maybe something taken with a forced flash so I can really see the inner framework, be it Contemporary or otherwise

I do of course see the bodywork on the footbox/vin picture, and to me, that does not look like aluminum corner of body showing in upper left of that shot)

Also notice no evidence of rolling........

Bill S

Last edited by mrmustang; 02-01-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's just a reflection,
Unpainted fiberglass, now that's funny!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Even downloaded and photo shop enhanced I'm not seeing it, same goes for the lack of body framework and support shown in the trunk opening shot. All I see is straight fiberglass Contemporary main body. Would love to see better shots of the doors, trunk area, and of course under the body in the engine compartment to see if there are other modifications to the hood/trunk-lid/doors. Maybe something taken with a forced flash so I can really see the inner framework, be it Contemporary or otherwise

I do of course see the bodywork on the footbox/vin picture, and to me, that does not look like aluminum corner of body showing in upper left of that shot)

Also notice no evidence of rolling........

Bill S

(same goes for the lack of body framework and support shown in the trunk opening shot. All I see is straight fiberglass Contemporary main body. )

What frame work do you expect to see from the angel this picture was taken from then?
Aluminum body's wrap around the tubing (sub structure, bird cage etc) so when finished, not to be seen from the outside!

Once again the OP has claimed to have seen the car in person, (you have not)and verified the body is aluminum, he also verified how the body was attached to the body support tubing,
then you come along and basically tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about, Really?
Old 02-02-2017, 03:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Since you ask, and you are so obsessed with my posts about Cobra bodies, to the point of overlooking your own beautiful work vs this picture of the trunk showing all the way back to the body

Now look closely at the picture, as you can see all the way to the inner quarter panel itself, what appears to be missing from that shot?

The rear cross bracing for the body is missing if it was an aluminum body, and there was almost no trim in place, would you not see the cross bracing for the body to be supported on? Your birdcage has them, but could not find a decent picture of yours to show you, so I borrowed one from Karl to show the diagonal cross bracing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
(same goes for the lack of body framework and support shown in the trunk opening shot. All I see is straight fiberglass Contemporary main body. )

What frame work do you expect to see from the angel this picture was taken from then?
Aluminum body's wrap around the tubing (sub structure, bird cage etc) so when finished, not to be seen from the outside!

Once again the OP has claimed to have seen the car in person, (you have not)and verified the body is aluminum, he also verified how the body was attached to the body support tubing,
then you come along and basically tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about, Really?

Last edited by mrmustang; 02-02-2017 at 03:54 AM..
Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not sure of the bracing you are talking about, here is a picture of a rear frame section of one of my cars, please fell free to circle the bracing your talking about.

Karl's picture is to small for me to guess of what you maybe talking about
Great pic tho!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Guys

If I get a reply to my PM and I get to look at it next week we will solve the puzzle...

No word yet

Jeff
Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Having no facts (or real knowledge) to back it up, I proclaim that it is an alloy body. I'll put a $20 on it. Who's takin the bets?
Old 02-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Ya know, CobraKiwi, maybe you can take some lessons from someone like MikeinAtlanta (expert, classy, self deprecating) and lose the condescending and general smart a$$ tone, every time a "Cobra body" question comes to the membership here. You're not the only expert on this forum.

I'm beginning to think you're the reincarnation of Evan too.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Having no facts (or real knowledge) to back it up, I proclaim that it is an alloy body. I'll put a $20 on it. Who's takin the bets?
There you go,(Mr mustang) could be an easy $20 for ya
Old 02-02-2017, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Ya know, CobraKiwi, maybe you can take some lessons from someone like MikeinAtlanta (expert, classy, self deprecating) and lose the condescending and general smart a$$ tone, every time a "Cobra body" question comes to the membership here. You're not the only expert on this forum.

I'm beginning to think you're the reincarnation of Evan too.
I'm no expert, never claimed to be,
This big coming from you!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
I'm no expert, never claimed to be,
This big coming from you!
Well, I'd consider you an expert, especially since you actually build Cobras from the ground-up. And I'd also consider MrMustang an expert. I'd also consider MikeinAtlanta one too. I'm not expert and I couldn't tell if that's a fiberglass body even if the body were unpainted.

Seriously, it's cool to discuss and argue, just lose all the sass, man.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think we should have Jeff collect the bets via PayPal and then distribute the winnings after seeing the car.

I am willing to bet $20 that the body is NOT made of titanium.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I find it fascinating how somebody can posts a few pictures of a car, state a few facts (aluminum body etc) then the experts here jump on and basically say the OP doesn't know what he is talking about:
Personally I am not 100 percent sure myself, but I am sure I would not post such nonsense as has been posted with out knowing or seeing more.
The cars body looks quite nice to me!
1985 CCX and joyridin' like this.

Last edited by cobrakiwi; 02-02-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

When building the Bennett car a steel tube was put around the cockpit and the fiberglass was rolled around it and I was going to put some pop rivets to finish the illusion but came to my senses. Glad tubes were put around hood and trunk as the hinge brackets could be welded on instead of glassed to body. Most fiberglass hoods and trunks have inner and outer panels that are glassed together to make finished part. Could the inner glass part have been replaced with aluminum bonded to tube frame then outer glass skin glued or glassed at outer edge where its wavy? Interesting to see how others solve problems to get results, I like to go to car shows and see how cars are put together and how problem areas were solved, some good and some not so good, but we don't know persons skill or resources so I don't judge, still like to look tho.

Last edited by razerwire; 02-02-2017 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: misstake
Old 02-03-2017, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It wouldn't be a mid 90s Gentry Motorworks body which has all sorts of layers, including aluminium?