Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   in floor pedal box. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/144190-floor-pedal-box.html)

Dennis Mosley 11-03-2020 11:35 AM

in floor pedal box.

My car was built with hanging pedals. the frame has a provision for floor mounted pedals. Any of you guys have plans for a in floor pedal box? Thinking about converting. Will either have to source or make pedals if I do.

patrickt 11-03-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Mosley (Post 1484812)
My car was built with hanging pedals. the frame has a provision for floor mounted pedals. Any of you guys have plans for a in floor pedal box? Thinking about converting. Will either have to source or make pedals if I do.

That would be a good project, and several of the aftermarket race shops have through-the-floor pedal assemblies. Plus, I can't tell you how many times people have peeked in my car looking at the pedals because they know "if the pedals come up through the floor then it has to be an original Cobra.";)

Danr55 11-03-2020 03:31 PM

Check with Nick Acton. He has plans. Actoncobra.com

patrickt 11-03-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danr55 (Post 1484824)
Check with Nick Acton. He has plans. Actoncobra.com

Oooh, that's right. And here's a pic of it.

https://actoncobra.com/images/Both%20(Medium).jpg

xb-60 11-03-2020 04:44 PM

Here's an alternative (Wilwood)....

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._installed.jpg

Cheers,
Glen

patrickt 11-03-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1484827)
Here's an alternative (Wilwood)....

No, the gas pedal must come down from the top. Otherwise it looks wrong.:cool:

xb-60 11-03-2020 08:53 PM

Sharp eyes!

So remove the Wilwood gas pedal and utilise the existing gas pedal.
The appeal of the Wilwood setup (if it suits the CCX geography) is that the master cylinders are behind the pedals, not underneath :D

Cheers!
Glen

FredG 11-04-2020 03:46 AM

I learned something new today. I didn't know the original Cobra had floor mounted pedals. The only other car I can recall seeing in my 69 year old life that had floor mounted pedals was my fathers 1965 beetle.

DanEC 11-04-2020 04:58 AM

European origins from AC. They are a bit odd and take a little getting used to, especially for someone who never drove a old VW.

joyridin' 11-04-2020 05:03 AM

You may want to rethink that option if you plan on driving the car a fair amount. Many people have done the opposite; Gone from floor to top mount pedals. The reason being is there is no place to rest your feet when you are driving. Your feet are always on the pedals. Sounds weird, but if you can drive somebody's car with floor pedals, you might want to do that before you spend all the time modifying your car.

racco 11-04-2020 05:37 AM

This is the number one conversion and a must do for any ccx car. The hanging pedals are a joke.
Contact Nick Acton he has the set up and it functions well. If you want to make your ccx as authentic as can be this is the first step, then the remaining errors can be addressed.
Wiper motor location
Glove box
Fresh air vents
Transmission tunnel
Etc
Etc

Been there done that.

Enjoy

QUOTE][/quote]

patrickt 11-04-2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racco (Post 1484839)
This is the number one conversion and a must do for any ccx car. The hanging pedals are a joke.

I tend to agree. There are certain characteristics on some of our cars that just hurt the eyes. Pedals coming down from the top might very well be at the top of the list. If not that, then it's a radiator that is not canted properly.:cool:

Dennis Mosley 11-04-2020 07:48 AM

Thanks guys! I will shoot Nick a note.

Joyridin', My second cobra had floor mounted pedals and it didn't bother me at all. I thought they were kind of cool and liked that it was just another thing that made that car a little different. Hated selling that one.

patrickt 11-04-2020 07:50 AM

... and windshield wipers that park on the wrong side. That's another thing that bugs me.:(

Dennis Mosley 11-04-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1484837)
You may want to rethink that option if you plan on driving the car a fair amount. Many people have done the opposite; Gone from floor to top mount pedals. The reason being is there is no place to rest your feet when you are driving. Your feet are always on the pedals. Sounds weird, but if you can drive somebody's car with floor pedals, you might want to do that before you spend all the time modifying your car.

if you know any of the people that went from floor mount to hanging, I'd love to chat with them. Maybe I can buy their old set up.

Morris 11-04-2020 03:17 PM

Here's a inside photo of a Drop Box Pedal arrangement ...notice the bar at the bottom to rest your heal on...

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/DSC09554.jpg

patrickt 11-04-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris (Post 1484862)
...notice the bar at the bottom to rest your heal on...

Any part that comes with a bar will be well received by the crowd around here.:cool:

Morris 11-04-2020 03:31 PM

Don't forget the pedal stops on the Clutch pedal and the Throttle Stop.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...al_Stop_51.jpg

Morris 11-04-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1484864)
Any part that comes with a bar will be well received by the crowd around here.:cool:

My kinda deal....

1985 CCX 11-05-2020 11:24 AM

I did at my contemporary never regreted it for a second.
Think the Wellwood option is the best though. There is a two pedal version so you can make the gas corrct.
The one thing that I realized was driving Cobra long distance say over 300 miles has nothing to do with your feet it’s all about your ass and your back.
I would source from a reputable source, there are some that will take advantage of unsuspecting honest folks.