Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 1985 CCX
  • 1 Post By RockBit
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Fender spats

I’m looking to get a set of leather fender spats for my Cobra. The kind that attach at the top. It has some 3M clear film on it now but that has cracked.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA has some. Don't know if they are leather or vinyl.

Also, I don't know the color of your car, but on my almost-black car, I used spray on truck bed liner that'll last pretty much for ever. I got the idea from Mesa Mike who'd done that to his car well over 10 years ago and it still looks great. I realize getting that stuff off is very difficult, but then, why would I want to? Also, a quick touch up would be easy. $15 for the can, maybe $1 for masking tape, and an hour's time. Voila'
Old 01-05-2022, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can also try PLASTI-DIP.

Mask off area with painter's tape and plastic for overspray protection.

Lay down light complete coats.

Wait a couple minutes between coats.

Repeat this process 10-12 times.
You want good rock chip protection but also have it on thick
enough to peel off as single sheet when needed.

When you feel there's enough on and before last coat dries....
pull painter's tape off at sharp angle for clean edge.

I put on fresh coats every other year.
Stuff is tough against rocks and has protected that painted area 100%

Comes in different colors. I use flat black. If you want a glossy look,
use their "Glossifier" product that is sprayed on as the last coat.

Expect your first try to be practice.

Use a Rust-Oleum 241526 Spray Handle attached to the rattle can
for smooth, even application with no drip/splatter.

If you screw up, no worries, let dry, peel it off and try again.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default spats

I’ve been working on patterns for spats for my Contemporary. PM your info and I can send you a copy of the patterns
Jon
Old 01-06-2022, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
ERA has some. Don't know if they are leather or vinyl.

Also, I don't know the color of your car, but on my almost-black car, I used spray on truck bed liner that'll last pretty much for ever. I got the idea from Mesa Mike who'd done that to his car well over 10 years ago and it still looks great. I realize getting that stuff off is very difficult, but then, why would I want to? Also, a quick touch up would be easy. $15 for the can, maybe $1 for masking tape, and an hour's time. Voila'
Do you know if the ERA ones fit out cars? Those are the only ones I’ve seen.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I believe so, Billy Andrews has them too.
I would say ERA would work, most everything I bought from Peter worked on my CCX.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Neutral     

My CCX Spats
Cobrakeith and Pmccooey like this.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I made some fender spats for ERA812. The hardest part was to find an adhesive that would firmly hold the velcro strip under the fender lip. I am still not completely satisfied with the adhesion. Anyone had success with a glue?
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

While I have seen some amazingly well done spats people have created, from my past experience they all collect road grime and over time scratch the paint. My Porsche had a nose bra with a felt like backing and it damaged the paint under it. Never got wet, and only used on questionable and long road trips. Another guy I knew always left his on, rain or shine, and it totally destroyed the paint under it and where it moved from the wind (slight flapping) it went down to the metal. Like open trailering a car with a car cover on it in some ways, not the best for the paint. But I do like the look… the black or clear 3M material to me appears to be the best solution, but removal of the film can be difficult if not installed properly.
Both these photos have extremely well done spats I might add…..
Blas

Rockbit… those shoulder harness mounting points look to be quite low. Especially if your shoulders extend above the back of the seat backs. Could result in serious spinal injuries if ever called into emergency use…

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 01-07-2022 at 05:44 PM..
Old 01-07-2022, 06:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I agree with Blas. I have the clear 3M stuff and have for 15 years. It looks and works spectacularly well. Here's a shot of it. You can see it if you look close.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

The clear stuff is my plan as well Pat. Did you install the clear stuff yourself? I would think it would be easy to cut into shape and install. I was thinking about doing the area by the oil cooler inlet as well.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
The clear stuff is my plan as well Pat. Did you install the clear stuff yourself? I would think it would be easy to cut into shape and install. I was thinking about doing the area by the oil cooler inlet as well.
You don't need it anywhere but the back fender wells. And I think it's harder to put on perfectly than it looks. I don't actually know that to be a fact though as I just paid Connecticut Custom Car to do it for me and they did an absolutely perfect job.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post

Rockbit… those shoulder harness mounting points look to be quite low. Especially if your shoulders extend above the back of the seat backs. Could result in serious spinal injuries if ever called into emergency use…
I agree they are a bit low. I try to keep the shiny side up at all times!

My spats are tight, and I lined the underside with felt. I haven’t seen any paint damage, knock on wood.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought the car with the 3M film on it but it has started to show stress lines in the film. I like it the clear film but it needs to be replaced. I’m concerned about how to remove it without damaging the paint. I know you have to heat it up. Also I would assume you need new film that stretches to lay flat on the fender curve.

Anyone know a place that does this kind of work in NY, CT area?
Old 01-10-2022, 06:34 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmccooey View Post

Anyone know a place that does this kind of work in NY, CT area?
If you're anywhere near Enfield, CT I am absolutely sure Connecticut Custom Car could do it for you. And I would bet they could probably do it for you while you waited there and watched (but I don't know that). Here's their site: Conn Custom Car |
Pmccooey likes this.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I would use the 3m film (or equivalent). The spats that attach can get dirt behind them and you'd just as well take sandpaper to the paint.