Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By feadam
  • 3 Post By MOTORHEAD
  • 3 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By msinc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2022, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 427
Not Ranked     
Default Ford 427 engines

I have an opportunity to purchase a Ford 427 engine out of a 1971 Chris Craft. Does anyone have an idea what a fair price for these engines would be ?
Old 03-22-2022, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Search out the classified here back a year or so ago. Seems he wanted $11k each and $20k for the pair.

Remember that one of the engines will make you go fast backwards.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra FF5/BBM 482
Not Ranked     

You might want to check if they were salt water cooled or a closed system that will determine what they may be worth
msinc likes this.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fresh Water

Fresh Water Cooled
Old 03-22-2022, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

old marine eng.............$500.00
Old 03-22-2022, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

What would you use them for? If you have an application in mind (remembering that one of them is backwards) and it solves a problem, the no more than a current solution would cost.

However, if you've got grand visions that these are going to fund your 401K, chances are more likely that it will cost you as much to ship them to your location as they are worth, and flipping them into a boatload of cash is unlikely to be a fruitful enterprise.

You could get lucky though.

I truly wish that all of the people that have come here with 427 dollar signs in their eyes would report back on how their enterprise went.
eschaider, Harpoon PV2 and msinc like this.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got a Ford 427 out of a boat, but I only wanted the block. The build worked out very well, engine dyno peak at 622 HP, 502 lbft, at 6500 rpms.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum 427FE
Not Ranked     

Bear in mind too that all the Marine 427's were center oiler engines. They were in fact cast in side oiler molds and they have all of the side oiler bosses, but none are drilled. They all also had the screw in brass freeze plugs too. This is true of every one that I have ever seen, and that was quite a few. I ran a machine shop on the Chesapeake Bay for 16 years. The reverse rotation engine block is no difference...the only thing I remember, other than the obvious was that the crankshaft rear main seal surface had those little slanted cuts to push the oil away slanted the other way. We used to grind them smooth on the crank grinder and use the crank anyway...which, by the way, are not steel. Every one of them I saw was always just a cast iron crank, same as a 390. The connecting rods are 390 type, sorry, not the Lemans rods...Bottom line, if you get them both, it's not as if you have one complete engine that is useless, you aren't going to use the camshaft and distributor anyways. Pistons were the same just put on the rods 180 out. I have actually seen the crankshafts used without removing the little slants and it didn't leak oil. I don't recall ever seeing any of these motors that were fresh water cooled with heat exchangers. They were all raw water cooled {salt water} but because of the higher nickle content typically not ate right up like other plain cast iron blocks. The cylinder heads are just 390's too. Best of luck, just don't pay or expect side oiler prices.....M
ZOERA-SC7XX likes this.

Last edited by msinc; 03-23-2022 at 07:42 AM..