Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2021, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jacking car and/or lifts

My Cobra is away for the winter but I知 planning my projects for spring! Looking for information on how people jack these cars up? I have a low profile jack, a 2 and a 4 post lift. The cobra is definitely to low for the 2 post lift. I would need to jack it up and put in wheel Dollie痴. The 4 post lift I think I will needed longer ramps to make it less steep of an angle.

I知 curious what everyone else does to work on their cars. Love to hear any tips or tricks with these. Also the best jacking points for the 2 post lift and also the low profile jack.

Thanks!!
Old 12-22-2021, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My lift ramps are less than 4" long and I have no problem driving SLOWLY onto the lift. My car is a 289FIA replica and my exhaust is plenty low but is no problem.
As an aside, I do carry a 12" piece of 2"x8" lumber with one end beveled that I use to drive on when I need to slide a floor jack under the car. It nicely fits in my spare tire wheel well so it goes where I go and has helped me and a few of my friends over the years.
Pmccooey likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby, 1964 CSX2367, fully restored, I'm the second owner, SAAC Div 1 Premiere 2003&2012
Not Ranked     

I use a MaxJax two post service lift. I can drive CSX2367 between the posts, move the lift arms underneath, and lift the Cobra easily. I made some adapters to fit the lift points for each of me cars. Dave
1953 XK120 roadster
1966 Etype roadster
1971 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
Old 12-22-2021, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I have a pair of ramps similar to these I use to get the car high enough to fit a jack beneath it.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-22-2021, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Quick Jacks.

I absolutely love these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmccooey View Post
My Cobra is away for the winter but I知 planning my projects for spring! Looking for information on how people jack these cars up? I have a low profile jack, a 2 and a 4 post lift. The cobra is definitely to low for the 2 post lift. I would need to jack it up and put in wheel Dollie痴. The 4 post lift I think I will needed longer ramps to make it less steep of an angle.

I知 curious what everyone else does to work on their cars. Love to hear any tips or tricks with these. Also the best jacking points for the 2 post lift and also the low profile jack.

Thanks!!
Attached Images

rads42, cycleguy55, Alfa02 and 4 others like this.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX 3443, 462 FE stroker
Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/atta...1&d=1640456742
Attached Images

Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

For working on mine I used a floor jack to get it up on jack stands. It was high enough for maintenance stuff.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Cool Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-5gt View Post
Clears that roll bar just right!
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 12-26-2021, 07:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Here's the stack in my garage. Note: I made a raised ("tray") ceiling to accommodate the extra height. I think the result was about 11'

Tom
Attached Images

Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a friend that also coffered his ceiling so he could use his 2 post rack. Only problem was that one time he didn't have the Cobra parked on the correct spot so when he raised the car, he produced a little more "coffering". I didn't tease him.... too much.....Tom's "tray" was much safer.

When I was young and agile, I worked under a lift. When I retired and was old and creaky, I was rolling around on the floor. Not good. Hence, garage addition, with 13' ceiling and a four post lift. Life is good.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
I absolutely love these things.
Which model Quickjack did you purchase? I'm considering one for a dual purpose, 1) my Cobra, 2) my C8 Stingray.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This idea is versatile and doesn’t cost much either.

https://talkcobra.com/showthread.php...solidated-view)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I have a Contemporary and my 4 post lift is too steep to get up without scraping. The folks at Race Ramps will custom make light weight foam ramps. I diagrammed a ramp that allows the metal ramp from my 4 post to sit on a lip of the Race Ramps ramp, which then extends out another 42" for a nice shallow incline. They charged me about $350 to make them if memory serves me right.

As for a floor jack, I have a low profile extended reach Daytona from Harbor Freight, it reaches the rear crossmember from the back, and both sides can be lifted as well. If I need to lift from the front I just drive onto the lightweight Race Ramp ramps, which also serve as regular ramps, and I can get the jack underneath the front from there. Also, I always use a hockey puck on the pad of the jack, it saves everything from getting scraped up.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i have a lift king 4 post love it
Old 12-27-2021, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
As for a floor jack, I have a low profile extended reach Daytona from Harbor Freight, it reaches the rear crossmember from the back, and both sides can be lifted as well. If I need to lift from the front I just drive onto the lightweight Race Ramp ramps, which also serve as regular ramps, and I can get the jack underneath the front from there. Also, I always use a hockey puck on the pad of the jack, it saves everything from getting scraped up.

Hope some of this helps.
Exactly the jack I would recommend. I second hockey pucks on the floor jacks too.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

If you are planning to jack the car up to put on dollies then I would just get crank up dollies such as Go-Jacks. If wanting to get it up on jack stands, you can pretty easily get a jack under the frame rails of a car already sitting up on dollies. I have a practice of always using two floor jacks to raise any of my cars rather than a single jack as I don’t like to stress and twist the frame. I either jack on both sides to get the front or back up on jack stands, or I jack the front and rear on the same side toget one side up for tire work or something.

For my 4-post lift, I have a set of wooden ramps about 5-1/2’ long built with 2x6 ribs and plywood decking so the radiator scoop, etc clears. I actually built them to do oil changes on a 17 Shelby GT350 I used to own but I found they flushed up perfect to the ramps on my lift.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I did something similar. I made long wooden ramps, but as I get older they were so darned heavy that I ditched them for these super light Race Ramps creations. Just draw up what you want and Race Ramp will custom make them for you. I'll add a photo here so you can see what I'm talking about, as sometimes pics help explain what words make confusing. I was too lazy to lower the lift now for a photo, but picture the entry to the lift ramp where the block of wood is in the photo and you'll get the idea. These things work great, and I haven't weighed them but if they were over 10lb a piece I'd be surprised.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2021, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Quickjack model

BL-3500SLX are the ones I got. They have worked flawlessly for 3 years. When not in use, they hang on the wall.

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Which model Quickjack did you purchase? I'm considering one for a dual purpose, 1) my Cobra, 2) my C8 Stingray.
rads42 likes this.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the 5000LB unit. Better to have more if you need it, daily driver, truck. Check Costco they are always going on sale.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't pay a whole lot more for my 4 post lift than what Quik Jack shows for the BL-3500SLX . Of course, if you don't have the ceiling height and don't want to do a coffered ceiling, you do what you can. Pretty much anything beats rolling around on the floor.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.