Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pmccooey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2022, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Where to get Smiths fuel sender

I traced back my fuel gauge problem to the sender. After dropping the tank I removed the sender and it’s no good. It looks like it’s a Smiths TA9010-000. Is there any US dealers I could get this from? Even overseas if I have to.

Thanks
pat
Old 10-29-2022, 11:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Forgive me if you know this already, but your Contemporary was built by a company owned by a guy named Peter Bayer. He sold Contemporary and went on to own Nisonger Instruments up in New York. Nisonger is the US distributor for Smiths gauges. If Nisonger doesn't sell the sending unit, they likey will know where to get one or how to substitute another. Hope this helps.

https://www.nisonger.com/
Old 10-29-2022, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Forgive me if you know this already, but your Contemporary was built by a company owned by a guy named Peter Bayer. He sold Contemporary and went on to own Nisonger Instruments up in New York. Nisonger is the US distributor for Smiths gauges. If Nisonger doesn't sell the sending unit, they likey will know where to get one or how to substitute another. Hope this helps.

https://www.nisonger.com/

Thanks. I had looked on his site before and didn’t see them. I’ll give him a call on Monday to see if he can help.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Here is one in the UK.
Accessories - Instrument Senders & Adapters | Speedy Cables
https://www.speedycables.com/accessories-senders/

I was looking to replace my Smiths mechanical H2o gauge and found one at Merlin Motorsports in the UK for £96.10 and £17.95 shipping ($124 total) It was here in 5 days and saved over $60. Point is be open to extending your searches and purchases.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Below is a Smiths "No float" sender that I have that works great. It has the 'offset' and 'gain' Pots to adjust the empty and full readings.

Smiths fuel gauge sender universal 12 inch : Vintage Wheels, Mustang, Hot Rod and Muscle Car
https://vintagewheelsus.com/index.ph...roducts_id=458
Old 10-30-2022, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Pat, I have had dealings with Nisonger, in Mamaroneck, NY, and they are good.
I have also had quite a number of dealings with Caerbont (located in Wales, UK) and they are fastastic to deal with, as in "bend over backwards" fantastic.
Caerbont do business the old way - as in totally customer focused (in my opinion). They (Caerbont) are the manufacturers of Smiths gauges.

Either way, you should be quite satisfied

Cheers!
Glen

ps - no, I'm not on their payroll
Old 10-30-2022, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone! I found the Speedy gauge site (in fact that was the first site I found) that stocked the broken gauge. I saw a price list but no o order form. I was keeping them as a backup.

That no float sender may the best replacement if it’s the same hole size and five bolt. My sender is in the center towards the front of the tank so it has a vertical wall on the front and then the bottom going back is tapered up (think half a V) so the float style wasn’t giving an accurate reading to begin with. This sender would be more accurate. I wonder if I can cut it down to the 6-7” estimate that the depth is?
Old 10-30-2022, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone! I found the Speedy gauge site (in fact that was the first site I found) that stocked the broken gauge. I saw a price list but no o order form. I was keeping them as a backup.

That no float sender may the best replacement if it’s the same hole size and five bolt. My sender is in the center towards the front of the tank so it has a vertical wall on the front and then the bottom going back is tapered up (think half a V) so the float style wasn’t giving an accurate reading to begin with. This sender would be more accurate. I wonder if I can cut it down to the 6-7” estimate that the depth is?
Old 10-30-2022, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Smiths universal no float has five hole mounting that fits my particular tank which is a Fuelsafe cell as well as any other 5 hole mount. Also, it is cut to 6" in length.

Last edited by NROTOXIN; 10-30-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Old 10-30-2022, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. It was gorgeous here today in NY and even though I’m a little sick I went out and tore through the car again. I disassembled the sending unit to see why it was reading 0. Turns out the bottom stop for the float arm got bent into the sending unit wire and grounded it out. I bent it out and works fine. Problem was I found out why it was bent. Whoever built the fuel tank cut out a 1.5” hole and the main part of the sending unit wouldn’t fit at an angle with the float stop the proper way. PO must have forced it in the hole and bent it. I had to remove the stop so I could get the unit in. The float shouldn’t ride lower than the stop anyway when resting on the bottom of the tank. I reinstalled it and sure enough it now reads empty!!
CompFi likes this.