Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default wiring harness

I need a new wiring harness for a flooded contempoary cobra.
Does anyone know what kind of harness contemp. used, an where can Iget one? Please help, Marc
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

I am sure that Painless Wiring can make anything for you. Do you have a wiring diagram or builders manual? You can get one from the CCX owners group or through their newly established forum on this site. Whatever you come up with you might want to look into upgrading the Headlight circuit with relays and heavier gauge wire.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Marc

I can send you the build manual if youy are interested?

Are you down in LA?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: early Contemporary Cobra (1005), 67 Shelby GT350 with Inline carb on a Boss 302
Not Ranked     

I have also heard good things about Ron Francis Wiring:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
You could either start with the generic 8 circuit Cobra harness or specify what types of connector you want for turn signals, distributor, etc.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

The CC harness was nothing to brag about. The mentioned generic makers are OK but you end up with circuits for A/C and other useless (to us) things. Talk to Kirkham about a Cobra specfic harness. Proper set up for the switches, motors and layouts in Cobras. They may be a little more in cost but no modifications to a "one size fits all" generic unit.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Default shocking!

I think the harness in my 289FIA was a "Dr J" harness if I am not mistaken, I can look, I may still have some papers on it. Correct, nothing to brag about.

If you can get a more user freindly harness, but all means do it.

JM
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Go with the basic Painless harness with just enough circuits for what you need.
I happen to have a Contemporary wiring diagram but it is too large to scan and too complicated to reproduce.

RD
Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Marc,

Check out these guys ==> http://www.isqe.com/ They used to advertise over here (I think) but I don't see their ads any more, not sure why.

They have a Cobra specific product offering that is very clean, easy to understand, install and maintain. I think you will be impressed.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Since my CCX is almost completely disassembled and turning into the snowballing project from hell anyway, I was toying with the idea of replacing the 23 year old harness with countless splices. I though the Ron Francis units looked pretty good. Any one else use one before?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 CONTEMPORY COBRA, 351C
Not Ranked     
Default flooded cobra

thought your ccx might have flooded during katrina, would like to know if there are other ccx's around New Orleans.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

You can also check out american autowire at http://www.americanautowire.com . There setup for GM but they can walk you through hooking it up to a Ford.

Terry
Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The boys from I-Squared engineering offer some pretty simply but high end solutions using an integrated microcontroller and MOSFET technology.

http://www.isqe.com/

http://www.legacygarage.com
Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Go with Painless! Ignore the circuits you don't need, or utilize them for additional gauges and stuff.

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I have the Ron Francis wiring harness in my Cobra. Couldn't be more pleased with their support, knowledge, and the quality of the kit. My fuse panel was installed in the forward part of the passenger footwell and I wouldn't recommend that. I bought the car after the wiring was done and that was one decision I wish was left to me. Regardless, Ron Francis is a great company to deal with since I've had to get their support and I didn't even buy the kit from them. They've been great.

They have an option called Select-a-circuit that allows you to choose between circuit powered by the ignition switch or not. Very cool.

Go to their website: www.ronfrancis.com and see what they offer vs. the others.

Paul
Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Marc,

You might want to contact ERA, as their wiring harness is almost identical to the one in my old Contemporary. Only real difference is that the ERA unit has been through changes to add high gauge material in places it is needed, and they have added a few more ground wires to it as well. Otherwise should be a direct bolt in.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS