Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   Contemporary Cobra Watts Linkage (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/85616-contemporary-cobra-watts-linkage.html)

Shelboss 02-28-2008 09:00 AM

Contemporary Cobra Watts Linkage

For Doug or anyone interested in adding a Watts linkage to your Contemporary Cobra, I have scanned a couple of pictures and put them in my gallery. The car was one I saw in Carlisle All Fords show several years back. I think it was Ciachi who was a dealer and had made an attachment point that bolted to the stock Jaguar Hub carriers. The billet machined hubs are available, but expensive! This method would get you set up for considerably less, especially if you already have the attachment points. I'm sure Mickmate could fabricate these!

cobrarkc 02-28-2008 11:36 AM

How about it Nick can you hook us up?

767Jockey 02-28-2008 11:43 AM

Yeah, C'mon Nick - make us some toys!:LOL:

mickmate 04-15-2009 07:57 PM

I'll have to pull out the measurements from Dave's car and see what I can cipher from them. I'm thinking if I can make these parts as a kit for you guys which would be easy enough, the real trick would be an installation fixture we can send from car to car with the watts kit. I'll look at it again and will get it done, just don't hold your breath or you'll be the color of Dougs car!

767Jockey 04-15-2009 08:24 PM

Damn, it only took you a year and two months for an answer. How long will the darn parts take, you slacker?:LOL:

mickmate 04-15-2009 09:01 PM

You can't flog a dead horse to make it move any faster...........Let me see which one of your other projects should I put aside for this one.

767Jockey 04-15-2009 09:10 PM

You can't die yet, Trigger - there's too much work to do!:LOL:

Drew 04-19-2010 12:43 AM

Anyone know where I can get Watts Linkage parts? I snapped the bolt that connects the machined plate to the hub carrier.

Thanks

RICK LAKE 04-19-2010 03:09 AM

Go to lowe's and look in hardware

Drew I have gotten shoulder bolts from lowe's. The pivot bushing can be replaced if needed. As far as the sphere ends, any chassic shop carry a full line of them. I like and used the greaseable ones with dust covers to keep out debry. I have not really looked into putting a bigger bolt in the pivot. I just carry spares and antiseize the bolt in the carrier. Left twist good drill bit unscrews them real easy. I have the custom uprights in my ERA. Rick L.

RICK LAKE 04-19-2010 03:13 AM

Trigger is not dead

767 JOCKEY Doug,Trigger is stuffed and doing well at the Dale and Roy Rogers museum. Trigger has also passed on about 200 trigger#2's Rick L.

Drew 04-19-2010 06:54 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try

Drew

mickmate 04-19-2010 08:10 AM

I have the fixture for the mounting points made. Programming chassis brackets and making hub brackets now. It's all coming together thanks Dave!
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4682/watts009.jpg

Drew 04-19-2010 04:23 PM

Got some exact replacements from Tacoma Screw here in Seattle.

Thanks

Drew

Bob Perry 04-19-2010 05:37 PM

Nick, mine is up on jacks right now so if you need pics and measurements let me know...... Bob

mickmate 04-19-2010 06:03 PM

Hey Bob, I appreciate that. What kind of drawings can you open so I know watt to send? It would be nice to verify it against another car. Isn't it about time you put the wheels on and get it on the ground?

767Jockey 04-19-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICK LAKE (Post 1045177)
767 JOCKEY Doug,Trigger is stuffed and doing well at the Dale and Roy Rogers museum. Trigger has also passed on about 200 trigger#2's Rick L.

Hey, Rick! How ya doing? :)

767Jockey 04-19-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1045220)
I have the fixture for the mounting points made. Programming chassis brackets and making hub brackets now. It's all coming together thanks Dave!
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4682/watts009.jpg

Hey, Nick - if you're going by Dave's any time soon can you snap a few photos of where the E-brake lines tie into the calipers? I'd like to see how they're run, how they attach, and what the hard brake lines going into the calipers look like. Right now just about any way I run the cable the e-brake actuating arms and the cable will interfere with the brake lines. I know that as soon as I see a picture of someone else's setup it'll all come together. Thanks!

mickmate 04-19-2010 07:24 PM

Hi Doug, I may have a few pictures of that set up somewhere I'll look for you. I know the Jag e-brakes have the cable come from the side so it has to make a corner in front of the diff or get run through a cantilever.

NFS 04-20-2010 03:15 PM

Hello Gentlemen, kind of new here I’ve been lurking from time to time and seen this post about the Watts Linkage. Long story short version, I have and original jig from Contemporary, :D mine was a non watts linkage car. I bought the conversion kit, rented the jig (for $200 when I sent back the jig they would send me a complete refund).
The next time I contacted CC I was still in the conversion phase needing parts so I called CC only to find out Peter sold it to a fellow and his mom. (His name escapes me now but I’ll remember it). Ok, bought parts, later contacted them for a refund, they basically told me they are not going to give me a dime.
Tried contacting them again only to find out they went out of business. If anyone is in need I’ll look for it, I doubt I threw it out.
NFS

767Jockey 04-20-2010 03:31 PM

yes, PLEASE look for it, a bunch of us could use it. I will gladly cover shipping for the unit and make it available to Nick and everyone else with a CCX to use to upgrade our cars.
Doug