Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     
Default Urethane control arm bushings good/bad

I am looking at some winter projects and want some feed back on urethane control arm bushings for the Contemporary XKE front end.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     
Default Urethane bushings very good

I replaced all the rubber bushings on my jag front suspension. The rubbers were bad anyway and had mostly slipped to one end. With the new urethane the suspension is now much better, more precision in the steering now and best when breaking hard. I can only recommend the urethane parts to anyone.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have bought and made urethane bushings always with noticeable improvement. Generally the darker the color the higher the durometer or hardness. Black harder, brown softer, red even softer etc. The black or red has worked well for me as there isn't a huge difference in hardness for suspension and steering applications.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, that's why I'm here.
Not Ranked     

I haven't installed urethane on anything in maybe 15 years.
I can agree with all the advantages cited here, but one fly appeared in the ointment for me.

They squeaked.

Irritating as hell.

I don't know why the last ones I installed on an old Chevy truck front end squeaked so bad but it got alot of attention - all unwanted.

Anybody else ever run into that?

I'd rather be a gun-runnin' Right-Wing Nut-Job than a Liberal with no nuts and no job.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

NeoConMan,
my bushings were dark blue and came with a special grease to be used on the inside and to facilitate installation. If you install them dry you might get squeaks.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, that's why I'm here.
Not Ranked     

That's likely the cause.
I installed them dry.

Dammit.

I'd rather be a gun-runnin' Right-Wing Nut-Job than a Liberal with no nuts and no job.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Good point they come as kits with a little tube of special grease as mentioned. Fixes the squeakety.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

So mine have been on my car for about six years now and the grease/silicone (whatever) has all worn off and mine are starting to squeek again. What is the replacement lubricant and where can you but it?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Clois,

I am not sure about NAPA, but we have a Franklins Auto Parts store here and I got some of the grease in a small tube from them a few years ago when my bushings started to squeak.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Silicone grease?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
So mine have been on my car for about six years now and the grease/silicone (whatever) has all worn off and mine are starting to squeek again. What is the replacement lubricant and where can you but it?
Polyurethane Bushing Lubricant? Such as this?

Available here: http://www.performanceunlimited.com/.../polyeaze.html
Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I've been using them for years, and for handling and feel for the road, there's nothing better. They were designed for race applications, so if you are the type to tear your car down every year and re- grease and re- build everything they are great, if it's an everyday driver I would not recommend them, when they dry out they are the most annoying thing going, I did find that silicone spray will quiet them, but it's only a temporary fix.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron, Rick, and Patrick.

I called O'Reilly's and they have it here. And I just happen to have my whole rearend out of the car to change out gear ratio's.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Thanks Ron, Rick, and Patrick.

I called O'Reilly's and they have it here. And I just happen to have my whole rearend out of the car to change out gear ratio's.

Clois

Well then by all means grease 'er up!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

So I am hearing that the only down side is they can squeek. I don't think that will be a problem for me because my car is very loud and I am losing my hearing anyway! LOL
Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The problem with the squeaking is that the bushes are also starting to wear. If you have to replace or relube them after 5 to 6 years that is not too bad.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Some bushing are greasable with a gun

cobrarkc Rick I have the white bushing in the rearend of the car and the blacks in the front. All have grease fittings. The car gets all track time. The rubber bushing will make the car ride better and quiet. Rubber bushings need no maintainance until they are worn out or the rubber starts to fall apart. They are not TRUE rubber anymore like the old days. If you shop around, you can find poly bushings that have grease slots in them. All you have to do is drill and tap the hole for a fitting. The grease gun will do the rest. My rearend bushings have 11 years on them and are still tight to the shafts. The fronts are 5 years old and no defection at all. They are a harder bushing material. ERA DOESN'T recommend running poly bushing in there rearend assemblies. The roller bearings if properly maintained will last 75K miles without problems. For the road, IMO I would still go with the poly bushings. If your COBRA is that important to you and you wash, wax, and show it off all the time, you are going to also do the little extra maintainance for it. It takes 10 minutes for 18 grease fittings on my car. I have 3 different grease guns. 1 is for wheel bearings with high temp red grease. 1 is for silicone grease for just the poly bushings. The last is a water proof moly grease for pivot points like tie rod ends. Poly bushing will make you car handle and respond better. Down side is you will feel every wave, divit, impression in the road. For a street car that goes racing 1 time a year, I wouldn't go the extra measure.JMO Rick L