Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default coupe info

hello new to this forum. i was looking into building a coupe daytona and i was wondering if there was a kit that i could buy that uses a fox body mustang as a donor car. i seen them used on the ac cobra kits but never on a daytona. they kit the body of the mustang and use the floor and frame and connect the fiberglass kit to it
Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

welcome to forum
and take a look to FFR 65 coupe
http://www.factoryfive.com/coupehome.html
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i think you just use a donor car for the wiring and engine and trans rear. not the floor and frame.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite8 View Post
i think you just use a donor car for the wiring and engine and trans rear. not the floor and frame.
I don't have an FFR, but did look into them about a decade ago. I believe they use the drivetrain and suspension as well as the harness and gauges in the basic kit. It would be easier to build a frame than attempt to use the uinibody Fox car as any basis. I think the intention was to use a wrecked car that had all the mechanicals intact...pretty easy to do with the crushable cars currently being produced.
There is local guy that has one he is building( or has been for about 4 years) one. But I have no room to talk, I still haven't assembled the 428 for our SPF MKIII. The Coupe runs nice though
Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i was watching kit an autobody experience and they took and fox mustang and cut the body off the frame and took the cobra body and put it together. thats why i am just trying to see if they anything like that for the coupe
Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

everything is possible
1965 Mustang fastback outter skin with 2003 SVT Cobra powertrain & interior
http://www.sn65.com/SN65%20story.htm

Quote:
i was watching kit an autobody experience and they took and fox mustang and cut the body off the frame and took the cobra body and put it together. thats why i am just trying to see if they anything like that for the coupe
Old 01-23-2010, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
They don't actually have a frame, so that would be pretty hard to do. they do have subframes that bolt on. But I think I may have said earlier, it would be easier to build a custom frame than attempt to make a unibody car have one.They may have cut it apart to make it easier, but I'd have to see them use the undercarriage before I'd believe they used the frame. I grafted a Fox chassis under a 1940 Desoto years ago and it was very time consuming, however I wasn't attempting to mount a 'glass body on an otherwise flimsy foundation. Without the body the chassis would not only need cut in length it would need and enormous amount of extra structure to make it ridgid. Then there is the width. That's why I suspect that you are referring to an FFR car, which uses the underpinnings but discard the shell.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yea that is a good point. the amount of time to make the floor strong enough and the fact the body is fiberglass, i would have to just about make a new frame and floor pan. so in truth just buy a kit from like ffr would be easier and alot less work, and maybe even cheaper.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B coupe

The B&B coupe will allow you to use the engine trans, rear end, all of the rest is supplied by B&B and Is assembled you can see the info at www.bandbroadster.com
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bryan, what type of windshield is used in your GT45??
Old 01-24-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the info everyone. little off the topic but is anyone going to make a kit from the concept car gr-1 that ford made? i know its a modern daytona coupe concept