Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 Stallion 429
Not Ranked     
Default Problems starting Superformance coupe

I recently purchased a Superformance coupe #0039. It was delivered to my warehouse and it promptly started while on the transport. I tried to start the car using the sequence of turning on the key, clicking the key fob one time, depressing the clutch. I was careful not to over use the starter. I had the emergency brake on and later noticed that the brake will not stop the car from moving and needs to be adjusted. Does the emergency brake need to be actuated to start the car?

The manual states that the red ignition light will light when the ignition is on.
My light does not light.

What is the exact starting sequence for a Superformance coupe manufactured in 2005?

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Out of gear (neutral safety switch)?

Or wait, is the starter turning over?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

First, the emergency brake has nothing to do with it. Second, there is an inertia switch located on the kick panel just ahead of the passenger's door low down near the floor and partially hidden. You may have to reset the switch if your car got jarred or something if you were working on it. Feel around and push the little button on the side of the switch to reset. I presume since you were able to start the car when it first arrived that you know to click your theft switch on your key fob, have the car in neutral, depress the clutch, flip on the fuel pump switch before flipping on the starter switch. If your car is fuel injected, the fuel switch is even more important as a carburetored car might have some fuel in the bowls and will start before running out of fuel - but at least it would cough and run a bit until the fuel in the bowls is gone and you figured out that you forgot to flip on the fuel pump switch.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcweingart View Post
First, the emergency brake has nothing to do with it. Second, there is an inertia switch located on the kick panel just ahead of the passenger's door low down near the floor and partially hidden. You may have to reset the switch if your car got jarred or something if you were working on it. Feel around and push the little button on the side of the switch to reset. I presume since you were able to start the car when it first arrived that you know to click your theft switch on your key fob, have the car in neutral, depress the clutch, flip on the fuel pump switch before flipping on the starter switch. If your car is fuel injected, the fuel switch is even more important as a carburetored car might have some fuel in the bowls and will start before running out of fuel - but at least it would cough and run a bit until the fuel in the bowls is gone and you figured out that you forgot to flip on the fuel pump switch.
Thanks for the information. Yes, it did start and the transport owner drove into my warehouse. I was turning the key to start before I hit the key fob. I will check the inertia switch.

Does one of the three lights between the speedometer and the tach come on when the engine starts? What is the function of the middle red light?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

There is a red LED between the oil and water temperature gauges to indicate if the immobilizer is on. You now know to push the fob button to turn it off before starting. The three lights are: top - hazard/turn signal flasher; middle - alternator warning light, and bottom - coolant warning light. If the middle light stays on, then check out your alternator connections, belt tightness, etc. If it comes on only during slow idle, don't sweat it.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Ron is the expert by far...but I have a few questions:

- Is the starter turning over?
- When you turn the key to the start position, and hit the fob do you hear the fuel pump turn on?
- Does your key fob work for popping the door?
- If you have the second fob, try that one also (perhaps the battery is weak)?
- And, if all else fails, ring Rick to see if there were any nuances to starting the car.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffgrice; 10-15-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalew View Post
I recently purchased a Superformance coupe #0039. It was delivered to my warehouse and it promptly started while on the transport. I tried to start the car using the sequence of turning on the key, clicking the key fob one time, depressing the clutch. I was careful not to over use the starter. I had the emergency brake on and later noticed that the brake will not stop the car from moving and needs to be adjusted. Does the emergency brake need to be actuated to start the car?

The manual states that the red ignition light will light when the ignition is on.
My light does not light.

What is the exact starting sequence for a Superformance coupe manufactured in 2005?

Thank you.
Hi there,

I should have done an introduction and welcome first!!!

Congrats on #39. I know a little about the car as I was helping Rick with a few prospects to sell the car. I know he recently had a full inspection.

We have SPC0136. Amult red, no stripes, Roush 427 sr with fuel injection.

Drop me a note to jjgrice55@gmail.com with your contact information so we can stay in touch.

Best

Jeff
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
Ron is the expert by far...but I have a few questions:

- Is the starter turning over?
- When you turn the key to the start position, and hit the fob do you hear the fuel pump turn on?
- Does your key fob work for popping the door?
- If you have the second fob, try that one also (perhaps the battery is weak)?
- And, if all else fails, ring Rick to see if there were any nuances to starting the car.

Jeff
I followed Ricks instructions and it started right up.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcweingart View Post
There is a red LED between the oil and water temperature gauges to indicate if the immobilizer is on. You now know to push the fob button to turn it off before starting. The three lights are: top - hazard/turn signal flasher; middle - alternator warning light, and bottom - coolant warning light. If the middle light stays on, then check out your alternator connections, belt tightness, etc. If it comes on only during slow idle, don't sweat it.
Thank you!!!! It started and sounds great.

Your help is much appreciated!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool!