Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Daytona coupe spoiler ?

I am building a hammer form so I can build an aluminum spoiled for my scratch build Daytona coupe. Could someone give me an educated guess of height from the mounting surface to the top. Is the back surface flat? How about the front side surface flat or concaved?

Mark
Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Mark, 4-5/8" high at the back, 5-1/16" at the front, 1" wide at the top, 2-1/2" wide at the bottom, flat backed.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank You Nick ! The flanges were it attach about 5/8 to 3/4 wide? Nick were these dimensions off the car you are building with the glass spoiler?

I had looked at the build pictures on Kirkham Motorsports Facebook pages. I took a guess at about 4 1/4 tall 1 inch wide at the top and 2 2/4 wide at the bottom. I thought the flange at the bottom o be about 5/8 to 3/4 wide..... So my guess wasn't to far off.

Mark
Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

7/8 front, 5/8 back. Yes it's on FB.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks again Nick. I will see what I can come up with.

Mark
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Front lip 3/4", back lip 5/8". Height 5 inches at center, thickness at top center 1/2", sides 2 1/2" at base. Front and rear flat. This is the style on CSX2286 AND CSX 2601. Also you have to decide on whether to run the cabin exhaust exit in the spoiler or not. Early cars spoilers did not have it. CSX-2299 runs the long flat type as the two cars mentioned above run the higher in the middle curved style. Attached with riv-nut type large head screws, end riv-nuts may extend through the lip on the two ends closest to the back, center may also on an all aluminum body car as the originals did.

Bill K
Old 05-28-2015, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill for your response. I spend a lot of time looking for good detail pictures of these cars and they are hard to find. I also see that there are differences in the original cars over time. I guess that I have never seen or maybe just did not notice a picture of one of the spoiler that was 1/2 inch wide in the middle and gets wider towards the ends. If the front side is flat top to bottom it must have a slight curve left to right as it goes along the top edge.

Any chance you have any detail photos of the rivnuts where the come through to the back panel also a shot of where the rear panel is riveted to the support tubing and the surrounding panels like the quarters and roll pans and spoiler is attached by weld. Also are the rivnuts put in the panel underneath the spoiler at the front edge. Are they through that panel and into the 5/8 square tubing that the rain gutter inside the hatch is welded to.

PS The process I went threw to build the steel cowl that supports the windshield for this car was in a book by William Longyard Sheet Metal Fab for Car Builders

So many questions so few answers to details on the original cars ................
......Mark

Last edited by MAStuart; 05-28-2015 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add something and I cant spell
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark send me an E-mail address and I will send you some photos of my cars, these are carbon fiber bodies but you will get the idea. Suggest you get in touch with Chuck Cobra and buy his package on the building of his car and the research he did. My car is as close to CSX-2286 as I could make it. I bought that car from Shelby in 1969.

Bill K
Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill My email is Mastuart1@frontier.com I have all the packages from Chuck. But you can imagine there a lot of details that would be hard to draw details of. In this case at this time he has no drawing of the spoiler or how it is attached or the shape of the rear panel where it rolls to meet the spoiler and quarters. He has lots of good drawing to build this car that without them it would be tuff to build an accurate car without.

Thanks again Bill

Mark
Old 05-31-2015, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did you receive the pictures I sent you??

Bill K