10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-14-2002, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Johnnex Daytona Coupe

I had someone ask me about Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupes today, in particular Johnnex’s Shelby 427 Daytona Coupe.

Well here I am again on a different topic on Johnnex. I have two bones to pick, one with Johnexx’s Shelby 427 Daytona Coupe replica and the other with the Kit magazine who published the information on this car.

Have seen the car a number of times, don’t have much to say about the quality of the build or the quality of the car. I have never had the inclination to look over the car in any detail. Although I must say that, personally I don’t like the appearance of the car, ironic as I think the Shelby Daytona coupes are gorgeous.

However I know that it looks nothing like any of Shelby’s Daytona series coupes. I did some research on this car. I know it is not a Shelby Daytona replica. Here is what I found. Let me direct everyone to some information, the book is “Cobra, The Real Thing, published in 1994 by Treveo Legate and Veloce Publishing Plc, ISBN 1 874105 05 7. This is a great source of information on the Cobra and similar cars. As a book written and published from Britain it has an inherent British tilt to it but, all in all, it is a great resource.

On pages 80 through to 87 inclusive there is a section describing a car call the Willment Cobra Coupe. This car is IDENTICAL to John’s 427 Daytona Coupe replica. Yet if you look to pages 112 through to 115 inclusive you will see the one an only 427 Daytona Super Coupe (CSX3054) or sometimes referred to as the “Type 65”, which looks very different from what John Produces.

John’s 427 Daytona Coupe which in fact a replica of a Willment Coupe from England was designed by Ghia for John Willment on a 427 Cobra chassis that John Willment provided. It was this car that was developed in England, by Willment that ultimately became Willment’s imitation of a Daytona Coupe.

This is not a Shelby car, it is a Willment car and Johnnex’s replica is an imitation of an imitation. John’s representation that his replica is of a Shelby 427 Daytona Coupe Replica is out to lunch.

Don’t take my word for it get a library card and check it out for yourself.

To the magazine that published the information SHAME ON YOU! You should have check the information provided before publishing incorrect information.

PS . The last time I heard anything about John’s car, apparently the prototype was build, I believe for someone and none others have been purchased or produced.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: