LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     
Arrow AC's A98 Coupe

I was sent some good photos of AC's coupe, A98. I put them here: A98 Photo Gallery I don't know much about them, so I won't be any help answering questions! I hope you enjoy!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Cool

Great pictures, the modern ones look like they were taken at the back of the A.C. factory in Vickers industrial estate near Brooklands. I visited there once just before the boss Brian Angliss left. That truley is a gorgeous looking car, i saw it once in 97 at Goodwood.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Hey, isnt this the "interpretation" of the Shelby Coupe done by AC designers without "input" from Shelby? I think it is.

....not sure what it all means, but the possibilities could "really" open a can of worms on the subject.

Ernie, the hell rasier

Old 08-12-2003, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

Hey, isnt this the "interpretation" of the Shelby Coupe done by AC designers without "input" from Shelby? I think it is.
....not sure what it all means, but the possibilities could "really" open a can of worms on the subject.
I`m not quite sure what can of worms this 'opens', but it certainly did open one back in`64! When it was tested at 183mph on the M1 motorway which at that time was unrestricted(no speed limit) there was outrage in the national press, questions asked in the House of Commons, etc. and people STILL blame it for the introduction of the 70mph speed limit that we still have to this day.(Note: It may have been a nail in the coffin, but wasn`t THE reason the limit came in.)OK, it was going fast, but it was driven by Jack Sears, at about 2 in the morning,on a deserted stretch of road.
The car is now fully restored by Barrie Bird, one of the most highly respected AC restorers & gets occasional trips out to important events such as Le Mans a year or 2 ago.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 08-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK,,,,I'll just open the can a little bit. The stying is pretty close to the Coupe. I wonder what the internal (suspension, engine, etc.) components were like? I'm also wondering what Shelby thought of the whole deal, at the time. Being as he was partnered with AC, I guess it was no big deal?

I had heard rumors about that speed limit thing linked to one car. Interesting!! So I guess it was THIS car.

Ernie
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I have always loved that car. Thanks for da pics.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

yes, Ernie.... it...was...no big deal.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron,,,,I needed that.

So, what kind of running gear did they use?

Ernie
Old 08-13-2003, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

A98 was a nearly standard 289 Leafspring chassis, but the design for the body has more 'influence' from the likes of the Ferrari 250 GTO (as this was the car they wanted to beat at LeMans)& Mercedes(check out those air deflectors over the wheel arches). There was no direct Shelby involvement, unlike on the Willment Coupe. Willment actually had designs from Shelby & I think John Olsen came over here 'on loan' to give his input.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 08-13-2003, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

....It seems hard to believe now of a factory team, but A98 didn`t arrive back from being bodied until just before the LeMans practice session, so it was registered & taxed for road use then driven to Le Mans, unpainted,with I think, dummy headlights! AAAaahh. The Good ol` days!!! I know that 39 PH was one of the last cars EVER to be driven TO & FROM LeMans, Geez, even my Dad trailered it to & from every race.

Old 09-20-2003, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Spec:

Beautiful car.

Am I correct that it looks like they have now substituted 427SC style wheels for the original FIA's?

Jim
Old 09-20-2003, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The recent pictures outside the factory were almost certainly taken in mid 2001 when it was being prepared for the the historic Le Mans race. The BMW X5 in the background was being used at that time by Allan Lubinsky. I saw it there at the time but stupidly did not take any photos as the disc drive in my camera was full.

There is a full section on the car in Simon Taylor and Peter Burn's book "AC Heritage" with some nice mid 90's photos of it. In these it still wears FIA style wheels. I presume these were changed for the 2001 Le Mans race. I don't think I'd want to race for any extended period on magnesium wheels that could be almost 40 years old.

All the other facts in this thread are, I believe, correct, including the connection with the speed limit. I can remember as a kid reading about it in the papers - maybe that's where my passion started.

Jack Sears still farms in the UK and keeps in touch with one of my farmer neighbours. His sister used to live just up the road from us and sold her house to a close friend of ours who used to head up Ford of Europe's product planning.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the wheels are harder to identify due to the 'better than new' restoration, they are now polished to a mirror finish, whereas originally they would have been the more familiar dullish mag finish (and rarely even cleaned....let alone polished?)

Jack Sears is still quite active in the Historic Racing scene, having run the Galaxie he drove so succesfully in `63 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed & (I think) in the Goodwood revival earlier this month.
His son David runs a succesful Formula 3 team I think.

Old 09-21-2003, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took a closer look at the pictures in the book and in fact the front wheels were FIA pattern but the rears are 427. They are all painted black - including the rims. The fronts on the later photos on this site look like 427 spokes to me and I presume that magnesium would not polish up that brightly. Can't find any trace of Jack Sears in the Revival program but he may have been one of the T.B.C. drivers in the St Mary's Trophy.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram
Not Ranked     

I know this is a very old thread, but I just thought I'd post this video I made a couple of years ago. It actually features Nik (nikbj68 in previous posts on this thread) at the wheel of my Ram Shelby Cobra. Little did he know, 10 years later, after his last post on this thread, he would be chasing down AC A98, on a Scottish Highlands road:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSz6PAGkAU&feature=iv&annotation_id=534eb c7f-0-2410-a3ba-1a113a8c20&src_vid=wycXEQjMGjE[/ame]
JBCOBRA and cycleguy55 like this.

Last edited by blip; 11-19-2015 at 06:28 AM..
Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     
Default A98 photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialk View Post
I was sent some good photos of AC's coupe, A98. I put them here: A98 Photo Gallery I don't know much about them, so I won't be any help answering questions! I hope you enjoy!
That link didn't work for me - some kind of Japanese divorce detective site!

Here's one that did work - it has a number of photos, including a couple showing body bucks. A 98

I like the Daytona Coupe, but also like the look of the A98. To my eye the nose shows Ferrari GTO influences, is slightly longer and lower, as well as a bit less rounded than the Daytona Coupe - I like that.

The 'eyelids' above the wheel arches show MB SLR influences, and I'm less keen on their look - though perhaps I'd warm up to them if I had that car in my garage!

Perhaps one of the Coupe replica manufacturers could tweak their offering to include an A98 option. Doubtful, but deserving.

Some more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/ZGTcar/posts/1578393725715812

Last edited by cycleguy55; 11-19-2015 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: added hyperlinks
Old 11-19-2015, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brings back fond memories

cheers
Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I always liked the AC coupe A98 design better than the Shelby Daytona.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenbbf View Post
Brings back fond memories
That was a great day – Must do it again, soon.