Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA,427 so ,,:ERA #663
Not Ranked     
Default Who Makes The Best Coupe

IM looking for a cobra coupe who makes the best out there ? and whats it going to cost?

thanks for any input....

dmk
Old 06-02-2004, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Mike McCluskey, Torrance, CA

One will set you back about $350K, I believe.

Identical to the originals.

Bud
Old 06-02-2004, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

I think $350.00 is a VERY fair price...
Old 06-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ha ha,,,, sure McCluskey is SO reasonable maybe I'll buy TWO????

On the other end of the spectrum would be FFR. Not a bad ride for a decent price. I believe you could find one all ready built in the $40's.

The best Coupe at a realistic price and more "accurate" is probably the SPF edition. Haven't seen any used ones for sale and I suspect they would run about $60K road ready.

How about a GT-40?

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-02-2004 at 10:17 AM..
Old 06-02-2004, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

I know where you can get a nice FFR coupe for $32,000.

http://www.rehobothproperties.com/coupe.htm
Old 06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Relaxinrob, I bet it aint got the IRS option for $32K? Point is well made though, less than $40K for an FFR coupe is possible! I myself was seriously considering one at $35K or so. Went with the ERA instead.

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-03-2004 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-02-2004, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #086 ,351 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Coupes..which one ?

To (me) , the best coupe to get is the one designed by the man who designed the originals and the replicas that McCluskey is making , that would be ....Peter Brock and the Brock Superformance Coupe.
The Brock coupe is about 60,000 without engine and tranny.If that isn't your cup of tea , then the FFR Kit is a good choice for the money.Don't buy a new one unless you want to just build it yourself.You can always save a few thousand by shopping around here , the Kit magazines or E-bay.

Frankie G.
SPF086
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rumor has it that Hunter's Cobras may soon have a reasonably priced Daytona Coupe. Randy's cars use the all aluminum Corvette C-4 suspension.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

the one i know about has the irs option, the bump steer option, as well as many other options. it's a real nice car.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's all of the info:

1965 FACTORY FIVE RACING COBRA, Factory five racing 1965 Daytona CPE. There are many, many Cobra replica's but very few rare Daytona CPE's authentic in every way to the original. Designed and engineered by Factory Five, the leading Cobra manufacturer nationwide. Just recently completed and featuring the following: (Drive Train (Engine) 351 windsor, Ford racing #M-6007-A351. GT-40 Aluminum heads and valve train, Hi-Po cam and roller rockers, single plane Edelbrock Hi-rise intake, 385HP, Holley 750 carb, headers, etc. (Transmission) Ford racing #M7003Z, heavy duty, (3rd member) Ford racing #M4001-M373 aluminum carrier assembly, (driveshaft) Ford racing #M4602-J Aluminum driveshaft, shortened to length. (Suspension) (Front) Adjsutable upper A-Arms, tubular lower, coil over adjustable shocks, flaming river steering rack, column, joints and bump steer kit. 2001 Ford Mustang calipers. (Suspension rear) Full independent suspension using FFR adjustable arms, coil over shocks, disc brakes etc. (wheels/tires front) ET-halibrand style, 9x15 with BF Goodrich P245 60R15 tires, (wheels/tires rear) ET 10x15 with P295 50R15 tires. (Misc) 15 gallon aluminum case fuel cell, autometer gauges, leather wrapped 15" wheel, full black carpet interior, upholstered door panels with relocated door latch handles, external battery posts, battery disconnect switch, windshield wipers, side windows, driving lights, fire extinguisher, aluminum griffin radiator, stainless steel radiator hoses, painless wiring harness, holley electric fuel pump, full roll cage, headliner, removable steering wheel. Cost over $40,000 to build, selling this 1500 mile rare Daytona CPE for much less.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast w/429, Brock Coupe w/392
Not Ranked     

Relaxinrob
Do you have any pics?
AC?
Where is the car located?
Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's one. I have more.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm,,,,, thats not the one I thought you were talking about! Which means, theres more than one for sale out there!

Quote:
There are many, many Cobra replica's but very few rare Daytona CPE's authentic in every way to the original.
,,,,,,and FFR is not one of those "authentic in every way" either!

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-03-2004 at 02:00 PM..
Old 06-03-2004, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I was in Las Vegas, I went to Shelby American and saw his Daytona coupe......I have a picture of it and other than it being blue and this one being red, they "look" identical. I am sure that mechanically, they are different, but I also did not see anything on this car that suggested it was anything but a serious performance vehicle. As my tag line says "Replicas are the highest form of flattery!"

Old 06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: upstate daytona coupe 302 svo crate engine w/webers
Not Ranked     
Default Upstate Daytona Coupe

I really feel you should give serious consideration to the Upstate Coupe. It is as close to original shape there is , short of a McCluskey.We start at $19,999 and can be supplied at any stage you want.Check out mine at (www.racetorations.com).Good luck with which ever kit you choose.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

nice car.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David Katz Dave you have a private e-mail Rick Lake
Old 06-04-2004, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast w/429, Brock Coupe w/392
Not Ranked     

Relaxinrob
Is this the same coupe that sold on Ebay last week for $27,500.00
Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, the guy who owns it lives near Princeton, NJ and is the same guy I got my cobra from. He is a small dealer that specializes in replicas. His name is Nat.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Best coupe

David,

The first question you have to ask is what type car do I want? The best all around driver for all climates is the SPF. It is the most practical as the finish is great and really is not a kit car but a factory produced car less engine and trans. The car addressed several of the short comings of the orginals, the short wheelbase, the noise and heat being the most pressing.

The McCluskey cars are copies of the orginials, they are very loud in the cockpit and hot with no air in climates that may need it. They are fine pieces of work, but for the money I would expect nothing less. While at Monterey last Aug. I saw several of his restorations CSX-2261--CSX-2262 and one of his replicas. His retorations are wonderful except they are not orginal. They are improved restorations. While there I saw my old car CSX-2286, now owned by Rob Walton. McCluskey did not do a restoration on this car and it is the most orginal Daytona Coupe of the six except for CSX-2287. It still uses the chain to hold up the front piece not gas struts as on McCluskey restoration or replicas. So, again you have to decide what do I want.

The best kit that addresses the originality issue is the UpStates. The basic body and chassis are copies of the orginial except for the full roll cage spec. The body was pulled from CSX-2299. The car can be built as close to orginial as you want, except for the switch from alumimum to glass for the body.

I have just completed building a car myself. I used an EM chassis with Vette suspension and I built the body myself. The car uses an orginial windshield and is very close in outward appearance to the orginial. However, I used a composite glass, Kevlar and graphite structure with composite foam in the construction, not so much for strength but to reduce noise and heat. I put 11,000 street miles on CSX-2286 when I had it and in Florida it was hot. Keeping with the orginality theme I have a 331cu in. to a Richmond Super T-10. So, what I am saying is are you trying to build a copy of the orginial or a car that is not only fun to drive but something you can us when you want to use it no just on sunny days.

Bill Kozlow