Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Old Vette or New Cobra

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has sold their 50's or 60's Corvette and bought a Cobra? If you have, do you regret it? Are you happier with the Cobra? Which one have you enjoyed owning more?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default vette v cobra

Jerry,

I have owned 4 older vettes, a 1960, 61, 63, roadsters and a 66 427 coupe. They were all a lot of fun to own and drive. The coupe oveheated in the summer and did not like slow, in town traffic but it did have A/C and windows that rolled up. I sold each of these cars and moved to the next adventure as many of us do. I now own a 24 year old ERA Cobra with a 428 engine. It will also overheat in the summer in slow traffic. It is faster that my vette was and is a bare bones trill to drive. All of my roadsters had tops that leaked in a good rain. I found that there are some things that are common to both the old Vettes and the Cobra. The main thing that makes me wish that I still had any of my Vettes is the value they would have today. The bottom line, I would not trade any of them for the Cobra that I have today.

Dick

Last edited by lamaluv; 04-16-2007 at 01:35 PM..
Old 02-19-2005, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm slightly off topic, but I've had four Corvettes. The oldest of which, however, is a only a '73. Since I got the Cobra, I have no desire to drive either of the two Corvettes I have left. The big difference for me is that I can do whatever I want to the Cobra. With the Corvettes, there's the "purist" instinct which keeps me from modifying them from their stock appearance. And parts are outrageously expensive for them to keep them in nice shape.

I always had fun in them, but they just don't compare to the Cobra for being a blast to drive and for drawing a crowd. The only other car I've ever driven that draws (almost, but not quite) as much attention at traffic signals & gas stations is a Viper.

Tough call though if I'd sell a C1 or a C2 to get a Cobra. That's more of a financial decision in my book. The early Corvettes are only going up in value. But if I were only considering the fun of driving it, The Cobra wins by a mile.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA 289
Not Ranked     

I'm in agreement with the above posts. I own a '67 convertible 327/300 hp 4 spd car. The Cobra is faster and more responsive as it should be with the power to weight ratio. The Corvette is an OK driver and represents a better investment of dollars for the long haul but give me the Cobra on a sunny day to fill your head with automotive pleasure. Nothing I have ever owned can compare to a well sorted out Cobra.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I own a 1963 Corvette coupe I bought in 1978 and an Everett-Morrison Cobra replica that was built around 1995. I've driven the Corvette cross country twice and it was my daily driver for many years including five years while I lived in Germany. It is now mostly restored and, with air conditioning, is still pleasant for long distance driving. I'm not in the market to sell it, but if I did I believe I'd be able to get back all of the money I've spent on it over the years.

The Cobra is much more primitive. I bought it for a track car and it is far quicker, faster and better handling than the Vette. When the weather is right, there is nothing better than a ride in the Cobra, provided I don't have to go too far. If it matters to you, the Cobra gets a little more attention from strangers. But I doubt that I will be able to recoup all of the money I 've spent on it.

Would I sell the Corvette to get a Cobra replica? No, I didn't. The Corvette is too much a part of my life and is the only hobby I have that can be cashed in for all I've spent on it if I ever need to do so. If money is no object, sell the Corvette and try the Cobra for a while. But, if money is no object, why not own both?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-19-2005, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default OLD CORVETTE OR REPLICA COBRA

I have been into Corvettes for ever, my first was a 1960 FI that I bought in 1963. After the 1960 Vette came a 1957 that I drag raced for years, then came a 1966 convertable that eventually was NCRS Top Flight.
In 1998, after Corvettes became decent cars again, I bought a C5 daily driver that I still own. I traded the 1966 for an NCRS Top Flight 1956 Corvette.
I eventually decided to sell the 1956 Corvette and go for a replica of what I've always wanted, a 1964 289 Cobra racer like I dreamed about back when.
I know the 1956 Vette was a better investment but waxing that old 265 / 3 speed is just not me.
The ERA FIA isn't real but without a few million to spare, I can pretend !
Old 02-19-2005, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i always admire a guy who has kept a performance car for many years. Was getting the wife's Jag new Michelin's yest, a pristine '56 T bird pulled up, the drive came in, and in a moment, a lady followed him in her car, asked if his car was for sale, her husband was looking for one. The T Bird's owner replied that he had bought the car new, owned it for about 40 years, and would not sell it. They chatted.

I don't know what i would do if i had my own original Muscle Car, and needed to sell it to get a Replica. Letting go of a car that has been a part of one's life for so many years is an emotional decision.

But when five years ago, i was about to be able to spend about $50K, i thought long and hard about what i wanted to drive. I considered about everything. I kept coming back to a '64-'67 Vette, or a quality Cobra replica. I have always admired both, but finally accepted that since in had been in HS, i had really wanted my own Cobra.

Finally i imaged that if i were at a stop light, and this or that desirable car pulled up next to me, what i look over and say to myself "i really wish i had bought that one, instead of this."

And i finally realized that if i ever looked over at a nice Cobra, i would say that, no matter what i was sitting in. So, since i had really wanted one for so many many years, i bought my own Superformance. I have done what i wanted to do, it has over 83,000 miles on the Smith's odo, and my son and I put in the race brake pads today, but in the Castrol SRF, and the Goodyear Blue streaks are coming monday, we are once again tracking it in two weeks at Kershaw, here in SC. We are running with the Porsche club, and like always, i guarantee that more people will come to the fence with their cameras when Chris blips his downshifts at the end of the front straight, than when any other car is on the track.

There is an intoxicating magic about these cars. The raw, brutal, visceral performance, with all the refinement of a medieval battle ax, just makes for a driving experience like no other. I believe, if one is a real car guy, then driving a Cobra is truly the ultimate road experience.

Like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you make one wrong move, take things for granted one single moment, you are done for. A most demanding, yet rewarding, mistress, a Cobra.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry F
I'm just wondering if anyone out there has sold their 50's or 60's Corvette and bought a Cobra? If you have, do you regret it? Are you happier with the Cobra? Which one have you enjoyed owning more?
I am going throughn the same type of decision, you gotta believe the investment factor is especially there with the vette! But, you have a car with updated tech, chasis, susp, etc... that will blow away the vette. I don't plan on getting rich, I just want a great driver that shakes my balls when I accelerate!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'm in the process of looking for my first Cobra, which has always been my favorite car of all time. I've owned a 1966 Big Block Corvette Roadster for a very long time. It's Sunfire Yellow, has sidepipes and two tops. It's not a numbers matching Vette, but it appears as original. It presently has a 540ci engine, Tremec TKO600 and PS Engineering Grand Sport wheels. I would never sell my Corvette for a Cobra and it has nothing to do with investment value. However, I may be selling my 1966 Sunbeam Tiger to get my Cobra, although I would like to keep everything.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

Just sold a 1966 427 coupe. Corvettes I have had include 58,65,68,75,81,88.
They were all fun for different reasons but I definitely prefered the mid years.
I sold my 66 for decent money and felt that it was going to probably increase in value but was also slowly deteriorating and would eventually need paint at around $10,000. The motor was also original and had not been out of the car in 18 plus years.
I recently purchased a Unique 427 built in 2002. The hand laid body is structurally better than any of the older corvettes that I had. I also like the powder coated frame. I looked at many 10 to 20 year old Uniques and never saw the first stress crack. I felt that if I bought the cobra right it would atleast hold its value if not slowly increase with a side oiler.
The cobra is more fun to drive for me but is a bit more limited with no top. For me it does not matter because the older corvettes never went out in the rain either.
Greg
Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I agree that Vettes are fun to own and drive. I've had my '76 L82 full option car for about twenty-one years now and wouldn't think of selling it (I'm kinda glad it's not too valuable). When I was searching for a big block Vette to compliment my '76, I would have had to spend way more than my ERA would cost to build, and I'd wanted a big block Cobra since I was about thirteen years old. I simply just stopped by ERA in New Britain back in '05 and knew that's the car I would have. Now I have my cake and can eat it too! I'm quite happy with my decision.
calSRQ likes this.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 323 392
Not Ranked     
Default old vette/new cobra

i sold my 65 conv corvette in jan of 05(at barrett-jackson, a good experience).327/365hp...side pipes..a great driver but by no means a trailer queen..i love the styling of the old detroit cars but the handling was 40 years old..So last year i bought a Backdraft...If you have never driven in one, it apples to watermellons...They are both loud, stinky (says my wife), and head turners...but the combination of todays BMW driving technology and 60's styling in nice to have...and the performance difference is substantial..no more "spongy" feel driving thru the texas hill country..
Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4xxx, Alum. Shelby 427 w/ Webers,
Not Ranked     

I had a ‘66 Corvette roadster 425/427 for many years and I traded it for a ‘67 roadster 435/427 3x2 w/ sidepipes. The Corvette is more of a cruising car because it is much more comfortable, and you can use the radio! I’ve driven it from Ohio to FL and back in it, I’m not sure I’d try that in the Cobra. The ‘67 Corvette has been a better investment, but the Cobra has that cool factor that does catch peoples eye.

The ‘67 vette is fast...... but, a Cobra is scary fast. The cobra hooks up better (a lot more rubber) and is much lighter. The Corvette’s rear wants to pass you sometimes, it’s still nothin’ like the wildness of Cobra.

Production car vs. hand made car, etc. Makes it harder to compare, I think they are apples to oranges. I’m glad I was fortunate enough that I did not have to sell one for the other.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default 56 Vet for ERA FIA

I sold my 1956 Corvette (many NCRS top flights, even at Nationals) for an ERA FIA. Yes, the Corvette is appreciating but the ERA is a lot more fun. I doubt if I could do a track event at WGI or LRP in the old Vet.
I've been a member of NCRS for many years but always wanted a tube frame, V8 sports racer.
I recently lusted after a continuation Scarab, but I would have to sell the ERA. I guess I'll have to be happy with a new Boss 331/500hp crate motor.
Pat
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Looking
Not Ranked     

Ok how about this side of the story a new C6 Z-51 about same $$ as mid level Cobra Replica or the Z06 for about 20/k more??
PS this will be a Phoenix,Arizona car/"Toy"?????????
chuck
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've always wanted a Cobra, and my wife has always wanted a classic Vette. So she said I can get my Cobra so long as she can get a 63-67 Vette to go with it. Works for me. Now I just need to find one of each.

From what I'm reading in this thread though, it sounds like she may want to trade her vette in for a 2nd Cobra after she sees how much more fun mine is

Need it: 427 Cobra
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, for less than $20K you could put on a top and Air Conditioning to the Cobra, and be oh so much COOLer!!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile The 60's

great thread

I've always loved Vettes and Cobra. I was in high school in the 60's when the Vette and Cobra were at war.

Dwight
Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why not have both. I've had my 60 Corvette for 31 years. I was offered an insane amount of money for it last year but I just couldn't get rid of it. Instead, I built a Cobra to keep it company.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have had four Corvettes; a 67 convertible 427/400hp (drove like a truck); a 69 350/350 convertible (drove nicely but no wow factor); a 72 LT-1 a/c coupe (not very fast and really hot inside); currently own a 65 fuelie convertible (in need of restoration). I have never owned a Cobra (although I thought I bought one once). I have made money on every Corvette. Unless I was able to purchase an original 2000 or 3000 CSX Cobra there is little chance of making money on any continuation or replica car. With that said I am ready to buy a Cobra and delay the restoration of the Vette. To have something to drive and enjoy exceeds the pleasure of simply showing a Corvette. Modifications probably won't matter on a Cobra where they would drag the Vette down in value. I think are too many critics in the Vette circle and many simply in it for the pleasure in the Cobra circle. I do plan to keep the Corvette though. Good luck with your decision.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: