28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Coupe / FFR Spyder
Not Ranked     

The Best Thing To Do Is Just Stand Back And Listen To All The "car People" Tell On-lookers What It Is. It's Been Called An Opel G.t., Some Sort Of Early Jag, Aston Martin, Ferrari,and Even An Early Stingray.....we Couldn't Decide On The Coupe/roadster Deal, So We Just Added A Ffr Daytona Spyder To Sit Next To The Superformance Coupe. (the Coupe Will Take You Beyond Your Limits.....)
Old 10-07-2006, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I considered an SPF coupe but decided on a GT40 because I just think it is prettier. As cramped as the coupe may seem it is roomier than a GT. The GT draws far more looks than my Kirkham ever did.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

I put a few subtle "FORD" stickers on the windows to get people guessing in the right direction!

Friend had his patera in a local car show: no one would believe it was Ford powered, or it was a 1973 (he has owned it since new)

LOVE to keep them guessing! cb
Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink Roadsters are fun, Coupes are serious!

I couldn't help replying to this thread when I spotted it after listing my coupe for sale on the forum.
Made me stop and think about it for awhile - and here's my take.
I've got two roadsters in addition to my #21 Coupe, one a new custom-spec'd out BackDraft with a 390 crate (I got it as a "street cruiser," with all the extra body stuff) so I purposely didn't put a 427R in it.
I just went to the car show last Sunday at Reptile Roundup in Sebring (didn't run the Coupe this time) and noticed that all of the 50 or so roadsters all looked good sitting there in a variety of configs and colors.
Roadster replicas always at least look like Cobras, and many are probably "better" than the original, but they are all different, and typically represent a collection of components that is someone's idea of correct.
The Brock Coupe is an upgrade of the original LeMans winning design, where Peter got a second chance to get it perfected.
In other words, the coupe is an integrated design, totally engineered, with a top-of-the-line racing pedigree.
I discovered that mine was a totally different car after I had expert techs go through it, and got it adjusted to suit my size and driving style. So, just sitting in someone else's coupe, or even driving it, won't reveal the truth.
Getting the pedals adjusted for my heel and toe style was critical to my satisfaction, and the techs got it perfect. Tires matter a lot!
My ad's up at:http://www.johnbickel.com/BrockDaytonaCoupe.htm
and it tells the story why I'm selling (moving to an island).
This is the one I will miss the most. Part of it is the heritage, part is the "look" which I and apparently many others think is the best ever coupe design, like an upgrade from a Ferrari GTO that looks a little "busy" by comparison, but what I will miss most is the "feel."
You might say the Coupe has all the "rowdy" of many roadsters, but with a sophisticated element that roadsters lack.
Every time I get in that car, I'm taken back to the sixties with memories of reading Denis Jenkinson's book "The Racing Driver" when I was a broke kid, and ogling guys like Miles and Gurney. It's all there, somehow, in that car.
There's a definite difference. You feel like you're in a "race car." It always feels like it wants to do the right thing (goes where you point it as the magazine cliche states).
I had one of the first 1971 Datsun 240Z coupes, and the Brock reminds of that car. Similar driving feel, but way more zip, control, and looks.
I guess it's mostly a "head trip."
One more thing, nobody ever asked me if it was "real." They do, however, ask "WHAT IS THAT?!"
It's a different experience throughout, and I think, superior in satisfaction to roadsters, especially if you happen to be in a "serious" mood and want to do some driving rather than cruising. Great to have the A/C on as well!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S
I seem to find myself wondering why the Coupes just don't seem to be as popular here on the forum.

As a replica builder I have built 2 roadsters and while I loved them both I am finding that building the coupe has been really easy and I am looking forward to getting it finished. Yes it is more expensive to build the coupe but I think the opportunity to drive it in the more adverse weather here in the wet west will more than make up for that.

Is it just the oo-la-la factor of the roadster which for me after several years here on the forum is wearing a bit thin, or the style of the coupe is just not that appealling to most?

Scott S
Scott,

I love the Coupes, I think its one of the most beautiful cars from the era. I seriously thought about buying one, but folks are pretty unrealistic about pricing these both new and used. Its still a replica. For the price of the average high end Coupe, I could get my true love, an aluminum slabside from Kirkham and still have money left over for a damn sweet honeymoon.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

John, ditto that comment. I love the Coupe...but $$$ do count for a "toy".
Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics, 302
Not Ranked     
Default Onlooker Confusion

Over half the people who comment on my roadster have no clue what it is. Since the coupe was far more rare in its day, I can only imagine the confusion it causes. Some of the questions I've gotten:
"Is that an early Corvette?"
"Is that a Miata?"
"Is that a Ferrari?"
Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe #139
Not Ranked     

My FFR has no badges on it anywhere. Badges? We don't need no stinkin Badges!

It's nowhere near finished but I've taken it to a couple of shows in the last couple of weeks
because a couple of people asked me to. I generally take a chair and sit back a bit from
the car and just watch peoples reactions. Some of the looks are priceless. Occasionally someone
will come along who knows what the car is. Most of them have no clue, but it's amazing how sure they
act in pronouncing to anyone within earshot what the car is, and they are usually dead wrong.

FFR4784CP The only Daytona Coupe with a "Falk'n Bubble"
http://www.replicapromotions.com
Old 10-12-2006, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Scott S: I have a roadster and a GT 40, both by ERA. Neither have recognition problems, although many think the GT 40 is the new Ford GT. That said, I can tell you that the roadster is much more fun to cruise with, particularly on curvy mountain roads. However, an enclosed car such a coupe or GT40 has its advantages, particlarly when travelling any distance on the interstate or when it's hot or cold--wet doesn't count because mine stays in the garage if the weather forecast doesn't look good. I was surprised that after buying the GT40 my wife said, "You're not selling the Cobra!" This was a statement and not a question. The point is, nothing can replace a Cobra. Note: A top wasn't considered.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 10-25-2006, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Consider the fact that replica Cobras have been available for years. The variety of different kit builders has had a very positive effect on the quality of roadsters now being produced. Having the opportunity to inspect and compare continually raises the level of acceptance in the "community." It doesn't take long for some one with an inferior or incorrect product to learn why his creation isn't "right". The beauty of this is that those who do know are usuallly willing to help rectify the errors. They know that everyone isn't born with the knowledge of what makes a Cobra "right" and are willing to educate and help. That's one of the best things about the Cobra nation..you have a lot of friends you didn't know you had. The fast buck operators who try and survive in this enviorment don't last long, as shoddy construction is quickly apparent in any gathering of the rightous. Coupes have only been around for a few short years so the ratio is pretty slim. The construction of any coupe is a far more sophisticated project so the cost is higher, but the rewards are greater too. Any time spent in a coupe after owning a roadster is a conciousness raising experience. There's hardly anything more fun than owning a roadster unless you can have a coupe too! Badger
Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

While on the topic, what does everyone consider the "sweet spot" for a true turnkey minus coupe when it comes to price? What level of authenticity do you require? Who in your mind produces the best coupe at the moment?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

I do, with the help of Shell Valley

May have to sell it though if the timber industry continues to tank

Scott S
Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Everyone had their own take on coupe versus roadster but I think we're all agreed that the roadster is more recognized and therein lies the problem. With so many kit cobras out there, a real cobra is questioned, "is it a kit car?" As a SPF coupe owner, I am not asked that question in comparison to "what is it" and "it's georgeous." One day one of my adult daughters and I went to restaurant in the coupe and were seated overlooking the parking lot where the coupe was parked. My daughter couldn't stop laughing at all the people, just about everyone who went by the coupe, men and women both of all ages, who stopped and oogled at the car, looking all over, inside, outside, some even lying down in the parking lot to look underneath. The quality of the SPF is such that people don't think it is a kit car, which it actually isn't. My coupe has the Roush 427 digital fuel injected engine at 580 HP with the open side pipes so I kind of get the best of everything, smooth driving at low rpm and a beast when you nail it - and the open side pipes sound just like a big block roadster. The SPF has power steering and brakes as well as roll up windows and air-conditioning. Real driver friendly. You can go someplace and arrive without being wind blown. It's handling is superb, just check out the Road & Track article on Peter Brock's coupe. It is quick, fast and it handles. Add to that semi exclusivity and eye stopping beauty. I've also got a full custom 2 seater Austin Healey roadster with laydown windshield and 607 HP (bes in class at the 2005 Grand National Roadster Show) and a Ferrari Daytona spyder with a comp engine and 12 velocity stacks so I'm there with roadsters too. Both the Healey and the Daytona are eye stoppers - surprising how many people actually know what a Daytona spider is. Comparing them all, all things considered, I prefer to drive the coupe. Love the combination of beauty, power, speed and handling . . .

Last edited by rcweingart; 12-11-2006 at 05:26 AM..