28 29 30        
Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Transmission choice for a coupe is a function of use. Remember that these cars were originally GTs...cars that could be raced on open roads for long distances, like the Tour de France. Coupes are meant to be high speed cruisers and having more ratios in the trans' makes 'em more flexible for whatever conditions prevail.
The brock coupe is a modern rendition of an original coupe, meant to be sold to the public, to people with a specific interest in the overall appearence of the original daytona coupe, but yet with a redesigned chassis/body for greater ergonomics, and maybe performance depending on who you talk to. The original coupes were for designed only for racing. The cobra roadsters were also GT's, meant to be driven for long distance racing, but they lacked the aerodynamics for the very high speed needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Superformance Coupes come with only a single rear end ratio that is too high for most T56 six speeds, unless you opt for for lower profile tires. This isn't a "period look", but the combination is fantastic as the smaller, lighter tires have less inertial and unsprung weight and combined with BRE wheels save about 53 lbs in rotating weight!
They come standard with 3.46's, which combined with the T56, which is a wide ratio 4 speed with double overdrive, I would think should be about right. I would think putting on smaller diameter tires is only going to make 1st gear even steeper, which may not be the best for straight line accelerationperformance , but more ideal for parades. I would think that if you want to put on smaller diameter tires, then you'd be better off with 3.07's in the rear or something like that.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 10-28-2006 at 05:26 AM..
Old 10-28-2006, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My R & D Coupe was built by myself and I installed a T-5 trans behind a 5.0 roller engine with a Holley 650 on a medium riser Edelbrock manifold. After three years of driving the car I just installed a T56 trans using a Mcleod scattershield (don't ask me about their new service after they were bought out) and a new posi with a set of 3.70 gears. This was one of the most trying and frustrating thing I have ever done. After driving the car all the work was worth it and I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the next track session at Sebring. Martin Van Pelt mvanpelt@comcast.net
Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default which TKO

FIA,

With your 3.73 rear, you would have to use the TKO600 that has the 2.87 first gear. Even with that, you may want a lower rear gearset. With the 3.27 first gear, you'll be shifting to 2nd at 10MPH - geared totally wrong for your rear end, so forget that.

I've never been a fan of Tremec and know many people who have grenaded their gearboxes. Just be careful - they say they're rated for 600 ft-lb, but it really depends on many variables.

Richmond is coming out with a 5 speed overdrive and I understand it will be unveiled at the SEMA show. You might want to check that out also - they usually have a nice selection of gears available for their products.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Richmond will also come with a much larger price tag, somewere around $3500.00 from what I understand. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. I will post info about how it drives and if needed might go to a taller gear set if needed. Martin
Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
Richmond is coming out with a 5 speed overdrive and I understand it will be unveiled at the SEMA show. You might want to check that out also - they usually have a nice selection of gears available for their products.
They already make a 5 speed, a true close ratio 5 speed with 5th gear 1:1, ( and not a wide ratio 4 speed with an overdrive).

Gear the rear with 2.88's, and with 1st gear 3.27, or get the 3.04, and it should be pretty close to perfect ratio's, and with 2.88 rears, not bad for cruising in 5th.

If your car is already geared with 3.50's or something like that, then you'll definitely need an OD trans if you want better cruising rpm's without changing the rear gears as well. However, when you can design your car with any diff ratio you want, then you can pick the tranny you want, and then gear the rear with the appropriate ratio for the tranny selected.

Good luck.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Badger, sorry for the late reply. I now sit corrected with my dunce cap on!
Steve
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
They already make a 5 speed, a true close ratio 5 speed with 5th gear 1:1
Yes, that's the old Doug Nash 4+1.

But their new one will be a 5 speed OD transmission. Give them a call.

Jim,

I think their sales folks said it will be priced about where the ROD is now at $2500 or so. Did that change recently?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
They already make a 5 speed, a true close ratio 5 speed with 5th gear 1:1, ( and not a wide ratio 4 speed with an overdrive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
Yes, that's the old Doug Nash 4+1.

But their new one will be a 5 speed OD transmission. Give them a call.

I think their sales folks said it will be priced about where the ROD is now at $2500 or so. Did that change recently?
My guess is that their "new 5 speed OD tranny" is actually a wide ratio 4 speed with an OD, to compete with the Tremecs and others. The "Doug Nash 4+1 tranny" is the only true close ratio 5 speed that is moderately priced ( below $2000) that I am aware of. All other 5 speeds in this price range are wide ratio 4 speeds with an OD. They all would be fine for the street, but for track use, I like the close ratio gear spread better, and the Doug 4+1 maybe a stronger tranny than the tremecs as well.

If I were in the market for a 5 speed now, I'd either get the Richmond 5 speed, with a 3.04 first, coupled with 2.88 rears, or for alot more money, get a custom jerico or G-Force with similar gear ratio's. To each his own.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anthony,

I agree, I've always felt the DNE (Doug Nash) and Richmond trans were very stout. I believe their weakness is 1st gear. If not for that, they would probably blow everything else away.

They're also very easy to work on and rebuild :-)
Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Daytona Coupe SPC0057 Ford 392
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Transmission choice

tony and the guys,

Thanks very much for the input, this is what the forum is all about. It gives me plenty to plan around in my choices. I'll let you know what I decide, jeez, just another choice.
Couped Up, what did you decide on your trans?

larry
Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The 3.27 1st gear version of the Tremec really makes it tough to choose to low a rear end. With 4.11s 1st is really useless. I think Tony answered a question I've had, to go with 3.55s. Look at 5speedtransmissions.com for a really good gear calculater and comparison chart.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth, Dennis Olthoff - who many think is the guru of the SPF Coupe, favors the TKO 600 5 speed with the 0.8 overdrive instead rather than the 0.64 for the SPF coupe. The gear ratio spread is pretty good and drives like a progressive 5 speed unlike the 0.64 OD which has a large spread between 4th and 5th and drives like a 4 speed with an OD. Your top end is limited to 180/190 mph with the 0.8 gear depending on your red-line. Use the 0.64 overdrive if you want faster top end or are looking for economy on long drives. The TKO is stronger than the T56 and is a little shorter as well as a little lighter, quieter and shifts smoother. I took Dennis' advice and installed the TKO 600 with the 0.8 overdrive and it works just terrific. You should let SPF know if you are using the TKO 600 so they will prepare your car for the shorter tranny. My car was in the 3/07 issue of C & D and, even down 80 HP with restrictive velocity stack screens, it still did 0 - 60 in 3.7 secs, 0 - 100 in 8.4 sec and the 1/4 in 11.9. It did the rolling 5 - 60 in 4.2 sec and smoked everyone in the top gear 30 - 50 in 4.7 sec and 50 - 70 in 4.1 sec. I guess you can say the TKO 600 with 0.8 top gear works just fine the the SPF coupe. BTW, the article got it wrong about my top gear. They erroneously reported it as 0.64. They also got other things wrong but that's another story. . .
Oh, re Peter Brock's coupe pulling 1.07 G's in the March '06 R & T, using Peter's old many heat-cycled Kumos on a very dirty track, my coupe, in street set-up with a retail alignment shop alignment, pulled 1.12 G's on the skid pad.

Last edited by rcweingart; 02-19-2007 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Richmond trans

Have you guys seen this?

I have a DNE 4+1 in my car and really like it. I haven't investiagted this new one, but based on owning the 4+1, I think this looks to be a much better trans than the Tremec when setup with the right rear end gearing.

http://www.richmondgear.com/NEW5withOD.html

Just my $.10

M
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FFR Coupe trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargie
I have a TKO 500 in a FFR Coupe. I'm very happy with it.
Rich
Rich,

What rear end ratio are you running? Tires and wheels?

Larry
Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Coupe transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcweingart
For what it's worth, Dennis Olthoff - who many think is the guru of the SPF Coupe, favors the TKO 600 5 speed with the 0.8 overdrive instead rather than the 0.64 for the SPF coupe. The gear ratio spread is pretty good and drives like a progressive 5 speed unlike the 0.64 OD which has a large spread between 4th and 5th and drives like a 4 speed with an OD. Your top end is limited to 180/190 mph with the 0.8 gear depending on your red-line. Use the 0.64 overdrive if you want faster top end or are looking for economy on long drives. The TKO is stronger than the T56 and is a little shorter as well as a little lighter, quieter and shifts smoother. I took Dennis' advice and installed the TKO 600 with the 0.8 overdrive and it works just terrific. You should let SPF know if you are using the TKO 600 so they will prepare your car for the shorter tranny. My car was in the 3/07 issue of C & D and, even down 80 HP with restrictive velocity stack screens, it still did 0 - 60 in 3.7 secs, 0 - 100 in 8.4 sec and the 1/4 in 11.9. It did the rolling 5 - 60 in 4.2 sec and smoked everyone in the top gear 30 - 50 in 4.7 sec and 50 - 70 in 4.1 sec. I guess you can say the TKO 600 with 0.8 top gear works just fine the the SPF coupe. BTW, the article got it wrong about my top gear. They erroneously reported it as 0.64. They also got other things wrong but that's another story. . .
Oh, re Peter Brock's coupe pulling 1.07 G's in the March '06 R & T, using Peter's old many heat-cycled Kumos on a very dirty track, my coupe, in street set-up with a retail alignment shop alignment, pulled 1.12 G's on the skid pad.
Ron,
After reading about your car for this last year or more, I did not realize it was yours in the 3/07 C&D review. It was really doing great against those other cars. I looked over the numbers that were somewhat masked to show what they wanted to in the results. Sorry about your engine problems, I found out from CoupedUp that Roush will make things right. I am here in Ohio, so I am condidering Roush for my engine. I have spoken to Todd about one very much like yours, so I would be interested into what the outcome is. Good luck with getting it back on form, a beautiful car.

Larry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: